Why is Viktor considered bad by most players?

#21OdinXivrajPosted 5/8/2013 10:20:26 AM
He's not bad the only problems he has are:

- Only 5 item slots as his Hextech Core is great early game but a wasted item slot late game.

- Because of the Hextech Core he has no real passive.

-His main selling point is that he can modify his core to fit the situation but once you buy one upgrade your locked into it no changing so lets hope you can see into the future,

- Augment: Death is currently the only truly viable upgrade.
---
"I'm Mort Agrippa you see...I control zombie ninjas. Are they zinjas? Are they nombies? I don't know!" ------- 8 people know what this quote is from
#22easymodexzPosted 5/8/2013 10:25:47 AM
Shivan999999999 posted...
His E works just like rumble's.

Totally not the point. The issue is that Rumble's ult has a huge range, when you target it outside his range (so Rumble walks to range), you're also beyond and normal sight / TELEGRAPH range.

For Viktor, it is a normal ability so you need to tag a target who is barely in range of the laser and/or actively trying to dodge it. The problem is that you need to step into range at the last moment (you can't "walk into range", because the enemy will see it coming and dodge).

Then, while you smartcast and hold E, you cannot change the direction Viktor is moving. So to avoid telegraphing your E, you have to target it and use it very quickly -- you cannot "hold" it. The net result is that you need very good precision with the E's cast range and laser range, or else you can't use it effectively in lane against a competent opponent.

If you could RClick to move while holding E without it cancelling, that would help a lot tbh, but then it would be very awkward to cancel the E "by intention".

The overall distance micro complexity is similar to Karthus' Q -- you need to cast them precisely at max range, AND you need to measure that range without letting your champ telegraph the fact that you're moving forward to cast it.

... Except Viktor's E is 4x as hard as Lay Waste because it's half the range and has a second vector component.
#23easymodexzPosted 5/8/2013 10:27:56 AM
As a general sidenote, I think Viktor's upgrade for the range on W is actually rather good. You can use it as a not-quite-spammable super easy AOE zone/initiate. Absurdly good for team fighting / initiating.
#24Solid_Acid12Posted 5/8/2013 10:40:42 AM(edited)
He's great but his W feels like a bad Veigar E since it has almost the same cooldowns and shorter stun duration.
---
I'm the bad guy? When did this happen?
#25Shivan999999999Posted 5/8/2013 11:34:58 AM
easymodexz posted...
Shivan999999999 posted...
His E works just like rumble's.

Totally not the point. The issue is that Rumble's ult has a huge range, when you target it outside his range (so Rumble walks to range), you're also beyond and normal sight / TELEGRAPH range.

I was simply explaining how it worked, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was comparing range. It's the closest comparatively in terms of function, being able to lay it on yourself if need be, or fire it off in a random direction.

The tricks to using his E is either being able to judge reliably where your opponent is going to dodge when you start firing, as all you need is a glancing blow, or being able to lead them.

I do agree it is fairly short cast range, but generally comparable to most mids. And I do also agree that being unable to move while holding E is a disadvantage, but sadly you can't always have it all. A lot of it is practice as you will very rarely NEED to hold it down that long and it is usually a non-issue. I stress usually. However one of the biggest advantages is that while it has a short cast range, the actual ability range is great as you can simply run away while it continues to force them to run or dodge, making them choose between getting hurt or poking back.

One thing I forgot to mention, his laser gives you vision in bushes, as well as his ult. If you're wary of a gank, you can start a laser a decent distance away from the bush letting part of it touch it to get brief vision.

I agree for late game scenarios his forced item can be a detriment, but with his wave pushing you're generally using that item to try to prevent a late game scenario (which as we all know doesn't always work) I think in this case another tier upgrade or possibly after x minutes gaining part of the item as a passive and getting an item slot would resolve the issue.

The problem is his kit is so unique you can't really mess with it a ton without ruining the way he feels and plays.

Viktor will always be one of my favorite AP Mid champs, but it's all about knowing when his kit is going to excel and when you are better off using someone with mobility
---
For like a bean burrito, I shall return!
#26Matter85Posted 5/8/2013 11:53:05 AM
For the same reason listed and reasons why many other AP champs aren't picked.

Off the top of my head. Terrible range on all of his abilities but laser. Ult can only be used as a nuke MOST of the the time. Laser is wonky. If he doesn't snowball he can't carry and can only do "well". Gets raped by high mobility champs which is most of S3.
---
-Checkmate
#27Fenrir the WolfPosted 5/8/2013 1:21:02 PM
TBH I rather like using Viktor against gap closing mids. Yes, enemy Diana, please throw yourself into my gravity field.
---
And then John was a zombie.