Max W over Q on Cho?

#1darkman95Posted 5/11/2013 1:19:19 AM
Almost every guide I see on Cho says to max W first then Q, why? I always thought his W was his utility tool, there is no real reason to have a 4 second AoE silence maxed in laning phase when its prime purpose is for use in team fights. W also costs more mana and deals less damage. So far the only reasoning behind this I've heard was that it is consistent whereas Q is not and it's better for harass. I find that hard to believe since it 1)eats through your mana like no tomorrow early game 2) Q is an easy skill to land. Not maxing Q first because it is "hard to land" is like not maxing Q first on Ahri because it is harder to land than her W. Can anyone provide solid reasoning on why W should be maxed over Q?
#2InsomKleptoPosted 5/11/2013 1:25:25 AM(edited)
More CC > More damage on a tank, in almost every case. And even after W max E before Q because thats manaless damage.
#3DeleveleDPosted 5/11/2013 1:24:01 AM
You already stated the answer yourself.

Consistency.
---
The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.
#4Shadow_King56Posted 5/11/2013 1:25:11 AM
InsomKlepto posted...
More CC > More damage on a tank, in almost every case.

Q is a harder CC than W depending on the situation. Personally I max W if I'm mid because the 4 seconds against a caster is basically a death sentence. If I'm top I go Q first since usually silence is not as effective against bruisers with hard hitting AA. It's all situational.
---
*Claims Kokonoe Rin, Vita, Nagi, Evangeline, Hanyuu, Cao Cao (KM), Kaguya, and Flonne-sama*
#5aHappySackaPosted 5/11/2013 1:27:08 AM(edited)
I max W when I play AP Cho, or a variation of my build for bad match-ups, said variation also includes more mana to compensate for how mana hungry the spell is.

I max Q when I'm against someone that I can land it against often and isn't a bad-matchup, also it allows for me to get tankier faster by rushing a spirit of the golem.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#6darkman95(Topic Creator)Posted 5/11/2013 1:26:55 AM
DeleveleD posted...
You already stated the answer yourself.

Consistency.

Any good player can consistently land a Q so I don't get it. I never have problems with my Q, I easily land 80% of them I don't even main Cho, I imagine someone who is actually good with him can land 100% of their Q's.
#7InsomKleptoPosted 5/11/2013 1:27:16 AM
Shadow_King56 posted...
InsomKlepto posted...
More CC > More damage on a tank, in almost every case.

Q is a harder CC than W depending on the situation. Personally I max W if I'm mid because the 4 seconds against a caster is basically a death sentence. If I'm top I go Q first since usually silence is not as effective against bruisers with hard hitting AA. It's all situational.

Q is more CC but i meant on a per level gain of the skill, as in W gets damage/duration/manacost per level while Q only gets damage.
#8DeleveleDPosted 5/11/2013 1:30:06 AM
darkman95 posted...

Any good player can consistently land a Q..

You realize that this goes both ways right?
---
The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.
#9BerserkFGriffthPosted 5/11/2013 1:31:16 AM
when I play lane cho it's always a counterpick to ap mids so silence is >>> everything else.
---
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u144/Shenneh/Godot%20Gifs/godot-sniff.gif
#10VoidgolemPosted 5/11/2013 1:41:53 AM
all you get for putting points into rupture is more damage, and not even all that much more than scream.

scream gets damage and silence duration.
---
"And though I drive through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil because I'm driving a house-sized mass of '**** you'"