When someone says they main xxxx champ, what do you think?

#1mrg59Posted 5/12/2013 10:50:28 PM
I immediately assume that the person is terrible at LoL. I give them the benefit of the doubt that they ARE good at whatever champion they say, but in a whole horrible at the game. Considering maining a single champion pretty much screams how terrible you are. It's fine to main a ROLE, but a SINGLE champion? Implying that you will just do horrible if that said champion is banned? Knowing 3 champions in a rolw well enough that you could consider each champion your "main" should be bare minimum to even consider having a main anything.
---
IGN- Kitts
#2AscoltarePosted 5/12/2013 10:52:18 PM
Main means they usually play that champ much more than any other... Not like they don't play anything else.
---
Shaq: "Rondo is still the best PG in the game." Barkley: "Is D-Rose dead?"
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwzhis3Scz1r3gup8o1_400.gif
#3hi_standardPosted 5/12/2013 10:53:36 PM
plenty of Pros you can say "main" someone, as in that champ is their best champ.

don't see why you getting your panties in a bunch if someone says that..
---
http://soundcloud.com/nytelyfe
#4eco masterPosted 5/12/2013 11:03:54 PM
Really, really depends on the context. Where is it being stated?

If you're talking about someone saying that in the champion selection menu and they're trying to convince the rest of the team to work around their pick, I think, "Well, I can embrace this and leave him in a satisfied/neutral mood before the game starts, or I can start an argument before the game has even began." If such an argument begins anyway, I just dodge the match. In my experience, it's been an incredibly rare circumstance, so I don't mind doing that.

I hold the thought that if someone's trying to be manipulative in what I believe to be a selfish way, that they're more likely to actively blame their teammates in the middle of a game without saying anything constructive, but two things - one, I cannot know that, and while I'll dodge, that doesn't mean I enjoy doing so; if the team is willing to work around the picks, then I'll give it a go. Two, I care a lot about promoting an enjoyable gaming environment. If someone wants to break rules in a game I'm in, then I'll temporarily forsake some of my enjoyment of LoL by playing out the game if it means I'll then be given the option to report them after the game. To me, that is worth the trouble of participating in a game with a peer who just wants to yell at people all game and get nothing done.

If you're talking about people mentioning maining a champion outside of champion select, then I don't think much of it at all. To me, it's just a different way of saying "I really like this champion."
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#5HMandACFanPosted 5/12/2013 11:05:38 PM
I assume they won't even attempt to counter-pick in draft/ranked, and will immediately play that champ, if given that role. This makes me think they're a bad player. In blind, they simply auto-lock that champ without any disvussion with the team whatsoever. I don't play with those people.
---
Add me on Skype! tiamats4esgares --- League of Legends IGN: MeltedWater
#6wrobe67132Posted 5/12/2013 11:09:33 PM
Depends on the person and context. I consider myself a Jax main, but if I see Jayce or Malphite I'm not picking him. I play him the most of any champ, but I probably don't play nearly as much as him compared to the rest of my champs. I probably play him like 10% of the time? If I see the team doesn't counter Jax, and I don't have the champs to counter the enemy team/I suck at the champs that counter the enemy team/someone else has counterpicked the enemy team then I'll just go ahead and pick Jax.
---
League of Legends IGN: DeathToTheOrcs
It's dangerous to take this. Go alone.
#7Lord_WoobiePosted 5/12/2013 11:10:56 PM
K. Cool, breh.
---
On the field of honor, the gods bearing witness to my glory, I will pull your entrails through your eyes and use them as reins to ride your soul to hades below!
#8FreshSushiPosted 5/12/2013 11:15:58 PM
The majority of high elo players play one champion infinitely more than others. So really I dunno what you're smoking.
---
Hidetaka Miyazaki, Shinji Mikami
Please come back Q_Q
#9S84_The_PatchPosted 5/12/2013 11:26:20 PM
;__;
---
League IGN: lPATCH
It's an "L", not an "i". (Kennen main; Diamond 1)
#10mrg59(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2013 11:27:48 PM
I'm not saying I say anything or start an argument in champ select, as some seem to be implying. I simply THINK the things I said, I do not say them or act on them. And the situations I am talking about are like someone said, refusing to look at lane matchups at all and just playing their main, in ranked. I mean, I know that for 80% of the elo spectrum (taking in everyone below plat I guess), counter picks mean almost nothing unless it is a very hard counter pick, but at least considering them means something.

The other situation would be, team is calling/figuring out roles and such for select order and pick #4 (always pcik #4) says something along the lines of "I can't play anything but xxxx champ mid or top." Its literally the sole reason I've lost 8 straight promo matches, and I can't move up to play with my friends at higher rank.

And its always during promo matches too, not during my trip up to promo matches to silver. I guess its b/c you get placed against those above you from the higher tier? If I assume a linear relationship between tier rank:attitude, I'd assume that as you reach plat you're just playing with the most emotionally unstable gamers on the net, which I guess is accurate from the couple derus or dirus or whatever streams someone stupidly suggested I watch.
---
IGN- Kitts