does clamping start at the beginning of division 1 now

#31a5ny5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 4:32:33 PM
compelling argument with no supporting facts
#32eco masterPosted 5/13/2013 4:33:18 PM
Nikkafu posted...
What does clamping mean?...

Please explain. I've never heard of the term before! >,<

:(

Basically, you earn League Points based on your team's MMR compared to your opponent's MMR (if your rating is higher than the enemy's rating, you win less LP - opposite for the reverse) , and how close you are to promoting to a new division or league. "Clamping" is the intentional reduction of earned LP on victory, which means only people who perform better than their peers on average are promoted to a new tier, and reduces the chance that someone who performs poorly gets "carried" to a higher-performing tier of play.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#33eco masterPosted 5/13/2013 4:37:21 PM(edited)
a5ny5 posted...
compelling argument with no supporting facts

...What are you talking about? You just told me that LP gains are not based only on win/loss ratio. MMR of your teammates and opponents are considered as well, and you know this, so I don't need to prove something we both already know. If you're talking about the promotional aspect of clamping, see here: http://competitive.na.leagueoflegends.com/season-3-faq

Why do I sometimes earn fewer League Points per win when Iím close to reaching the next tier?

Since tier upgrades are permanent in the League System, you have to demonstrate you can maintain a higher level of play before the system will allow you to start a Promotion Series. In rare instances, this means that your LP earnings will be normalized until you meet this bar, so you may need to win a few more matches to trigger your Promotion Series. This is most likely to occur if youíre closing in on a spot in the Challenger tier, since you have to outperform a current member of that tier to be promoted.

If there's something that you want supported, you should tell me instead of saying "lol you don't know what you're talking about." Especially since I'm explaining things as I go based on what you appear to have an understanding of. If you don't actually know how the Elo rating system works, then you should tell me so I can show you.

Regarding team MMR vs opponent MMR affecting LP gain:

What determines how many League Points I gain from winning a match?

There are numerous factors, but these are the two major ones:

The difficulty of the match: if matchmaking considered your opponents to be favored, youíll gain more League Points than normal if you pull off the upset. The opposite is also true.
The relative MMRs of the other players in your game: if the other competitors are generally higher in the standings than you, youíll gain more LP (and lose less from a loss), so that youíll generally trend upwards even with a 50/50 record.

Since your MMR determines the number of League Points youíre awarded from a game, players who intentionally tank their ratings after reaching a new tier will find they progress toward the next division VERY slowly. Essentially, theyíll have to make back the MMR points that they intentionally dumped in order to make meaningful progress toward the next tier or division. There's a lot of complicated logic on the back end to prevent this sort of abuse, so itís always be more effective to play legitimately.

---
#34NikkafuPosted 5/13/2013 4:37:36 PM
eco master posted...
Nikkafu posted...
What does clamping mean?...

Please explain. I've never heard of the term before! >,<

:(

Basically, you earn League Points based on your team's MMR compared to your opponent's MMR (if your rating is higher than the enemy's rating, you win less LP - opposite for the reverse) , and how close you are to promoting to a new division or league. "Clamping" is the intentional reduction of earned LP on victory, which means only people who perform better than their peers on average are promoted to a new tier, and reduces the chance that someone who performs poorly gets "carried" to a higher-performing tier of play.

Oh wow...so what's MMR? Is there a way to check it? What about elo?
#35a5ny5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 4:38:12 PM
do you do this intentionally or are you naturally like this? win/lose = elo = your mmr vs opponent's mmr. its all the same thing.
#36eco masterPosted 5/13/2013 4:40:26 PM
Nikkafu posted...

MMR is matchmaking rating, and is what League of Legends uses in place of a standard Elo rating, which has it's own formula. League of Legends has never actually used a standard Elo rating, but until Season 3, had called the rating you receive in Ranked play your Elo rating. There is not a way to check your matchmaking rating at this time. It is only used in matchmaking.
---
#37a5ny5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/13/2013 5:25:21 PM
5 win streak. literally at 26lp
#38eco masterPosted 5/13/2013 5:55:32 PM
a5ny5 posted...
5 win streak. literally at 26lp

Makes sense. You're not supposed to go up a tier in a handful of games. Now that you know exactly how LP gains work, this shouldn't be surprising you.
---
#39NikkafuPosted 5/13/2013 6:14:27 PM
eco master posted...
Nikkafu posted...

MMR is matchmaking rating, and is what League of Legends uses in place of a standard Elo rating, which has it's own formula. League of Legends has never actually used a standard Elo rating, but until Season 3, had called the rating you receive in Ranked play your Elo rating. There is not a way to check your matchmaking rating at this time. It is only used in matchmaking.

Thank you for your patience and reply eco master...unlike some other people on the board >.>

Best of luck with your climb TC...
#40a5ny5(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 9:45:32 AM
welp. just had to dodge a game because of troll picks. -3 lp. elo hell