How to effectively play support Thresh

#1Phantom0708Posted 5/14/2013 8:42:59 AM
I keep seeing a derpy thresh everywhere, so I decided to give a couple of tips

He's an amazing as a support but can also be built as an AD carry

Your first level should be put into q, then alternate between w and e and your ult

Angling the backside of your R towards your enemy will knock them backward to an ally

Pressing q a second time pulls you further towards your enemy

W is your most useful skill
If thrown at a bush, you can light up the bush and nearby area

It collects souls that are out of reach

If you and a teammate are running from an enemy, and you are ahead, throw your lantern a little in front of your teammate, not on. Think of it like passing a football as one player remarked
Also remember to tell your teammates that they can click the lantern to pull to you if they are low on health

For team fights, you can possibly save an ally by pulling them to the other side of a wall

Your ult is very useful as well, as it slows enemies who hit the walls. Useful for getting away, or after you pull in close to an enemy

Always build yourself as tanky as possible

In team fights, your job is soaking up the damage for your teammates to get away or get in their own hits

Let me show an example

You see all five enemies heading mid, packed closely together

You and your allies rally and charge towards them

You use your q to pull in close, while the enemy team tries to gank you
This is where you use your ult and your E to give your teammates as much room as possible to annihilate the enemy

In this way, your ult is better than Jarvan's
Jarv's ult forces you to be packed together with enemies, whereas yours slows them

Now let's talk about his passive.

Gathering souls increases your ability power and armor

Don't hesitate to kill a couple of jungle creeps if you want souls
Also, enemies that are killed by teammates also drop souls, as long as you at least do some damage to them.

Be patient with collecting souls

Running in to grab souls makes you predictable. If you really want them, throw your lantern to grab them for you
---
GT: Devilwillcry42 PSN: Raidoukuzunoha42
My name is Kanji Tatsumi, you said I like dudes, prepare to die.
#2wantfastcarsPosted 5/14/2013 8:51:26 AM
Personally, I like the max W first (still level 1 Q of course) as opposed to alternating, since you can get your W to level 5 by Champion Level... what, 9? At that point, an on-demand 220+ HP shield is a pretty significant bonus.

Other than that, I pretty much agree.
---
Now Playing: BL2, TF2, LoL
i5-3570k | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD
#3Phantom0708(Topic Creator)Posted 5/14/2013 8:57:59 AM
wantfastcars posted...
Personally, I like the max W first (still level 1 Q of course) as opposed to alternating, since you can get your W to level 5 by Champion Level... what, 9? At that point, an on-demand 220+ HP shield is a pretty significant bonus.

I tend to alternate because I like the damage on Flay

I've heard people say the armor buildup on thresh's passive is overpowered, but I don't see it
---
GT: Devilwillcry42 PSN: Raidoukuzunoha42
My name is Kanji Tatsumi, you said I like dudes, prepare to die.
#4SoulknightX0Posted 5/14/2013 9:19:18 AM
Phantom0708 posted...
wantfastcars posted...

I tend to alternate because I like the damage on Flay

I've heard people say the armor buildup on thresh's passive is overpowered, but I don't see it

people probably aren't trading with you, but essentially it's free gold because you don't have to pay out around 1500 g for a chain vest and blasting rod
---
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Bentrey/
#5MrFailPosted 5/14/2013 9:46:45 AM(edited)
Phantom0708 posted...

Also, enemies that are killed by teammates also drop souls, as long as you at least do some damage to them.

This is inaccurate. At least for monsters/minions. I can't say for certain against Champs, but as far as I know if you are in ~1600 range of the dead baddie, it can drop you a soul.

Edit: This can actually give you position away so if you are ever bush camping someone and a soul appears, they know you are nearby.
#6DogmanwalkingPosted 5/14/2013 8:44:04 PM
I personally like to go Q-E-W. Then either 1 or two more E's depending on how much poking I'm doing, after I like to max W for the shield, then either E or Q depending on if we're still somewhat laning or if it's full fledged team fight mode.

As far as tips, I'd just remind that even starting Q, with his Q passive moved to E, he is very effective poking in lane with his AA, you can get a lot of harass fairly safely if you poke when they go to CS. I would caution to try to poke them down a bit before you grab if you are not familiar with your ADC. Grabbing with Q without proper communication and teamwork can many times end with an unfair trade in their favor or even cause one of you to die.

I'd give advice for team fight Thresh, but it's all been covered what little I know, and I live for the laning phase anyway :D
#7wantfastcarsPosted 5/14/2013 8:46:16 PM
MrFail posted...
Phantom0708 posted...

This is inaccurate. At least for monsters/minions. I can't say for certain against Champs, but as far as I know if you are in ~1600 range of the dead baddie, it can drop you a soul.

Edit: This can actually give you position away so if you are ever bush camping someone and a soul appears, they know you are nearby.

I believe the actual numbers are a 1 in 3 chance from small minions (though the numbers will vary slightly based on how many souls have dropped - not how many you've collected, how many have dropped), and cannon minions, buff-granting monsters, the large golem, super minions, and enemy champions always drop souls.
---
Now Playing: BL2, TF2, LoL
i5-3570k | Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz RAM | EVGA GeForce GTX670 FTW | Asus P8Z77-V LK | Western Digital 7200RPM 1TB HDD
#8Suffer_NotPosted 5/14/2013 8:49:46 PM
Angling the backside of your R towards your enemy will knock them backward to an ally

I believe you mean his E.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#9Wolf_McWolfPosted 5/14/2013 11:12:32 PM
MrFail posted...
Phantom0708 posted...

Enemies can only see souls if they can see Thresh.
---
Yar har fiddle dee dee.
#10MrFailPosted 5/19/2013 9:40:49 PM
Wolf_McWolf posted...
MrFail posted...
Phantom0708 posted...

Enemies can only see souls if they can see Thresh.

You trolling me? If that's true, it is gonna change how I play.