Does it feel like Riot already soft-enforces a meta?

#1TheSteelPhoenixPosted 5/15/2013 5:23:03 PM
Like a lot of times in champion spot lights they give specific positions like "top" or "support".

I think one of the biggest problems the community suffers is that there is no definitive 'right' way to play the game. This is not normally a problem in ANY other game where you play by yourself. Competition has the Darwinian effect of pruning out the "incorrect" ways to play a game. But here, in a team game, that effect is quite muted in terms of individual input. Mostly because it is almost impossible to point at something and go "this is why the game was won" or "this is why the game was lost". Which leads to things where there are cultural influences on what is and isn't acceptable.

Which I think leads to the real problem: the fact we are calling it "meta-enforcing" and not "design enforcing". Meta refers to a social understanding of something. Before Riot could enforce a meta, wouldn't they need to redesign aspects of the game to make it not so nebulous as to what is and isn't strong for the game?

What are your thoughts on meta-enforcing?
---
Cyber Troopers Virtual-On World Champion
#2ISF_Lmaokai_TMHPosted 5/15/2013 5:24:39 PM
Almost every time they call a champion a jungler he's a better top laner and thats where he's put.
Almost every time they call a champion a strong top lane bruiser he's a better jungler or mid laner.
When they put out supports, they're almost immediately used as mids in competitive play.
Mids are released and used as supports.
---
Active Team Manager of Team Call of Duty: http://imgur.com/a/rNBHL | IGN: Too Many Owls
#3Eclypse9810Posted 5/15/2013 5:31:18 PM
Like this new Aathrox guy coming out. They say top laner, I see a jungle and potentially mid depending on his ranges.
---
Have you had the dream again? A black goat with seven eyes that watches from the outside.
#4AgentRebornPosted 5/15/2013 5:36:38 PM
The way SR is set up kind of enforces the meta. Until Riot redesigns it, we're stuck with 5 champs competing for 4 sources of gold, which restricts the game to the 1/1/2+Jungle meta
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1935601/hynoski2.gif
#5VoidgolemPosted 5/15/2013 5:37:51 PM
I'd rather they enforce a meta than ending up with weird-ass support mids that do nothing of import because they don't have CC and don't have damage.

lookin' at you soraka mids. Stop that.
---
"And though I drive through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil because I'm driving a house-sized mass of '**** you'"
#6P00DGEPosted 5/15/2013 5:41:26 PM
AgentReborn posted...
The way SR is set up kind of enforces the meta. Until Riot redesigns it, we're stuck with 5 champs competing for 4 sources of gold, which restricts the game to the 1/1/2+Jungle meta

Don't expect a "redesign" of Summoner's Rift. Hence why there are 4 different playable maps.

I am hoping for a new 5v5 map that lasts roughly 40 minutes (like SR), and has a distinguishable early, mid and end game, but allows for a slightly different approach to strategy.
#7OgreBattle019Posted 5/15/2013 7:22:04 PM
P00DGE posted...
AgentReborn posted...

Don't expect a "redesign" of Summoner's Rift. Hence why there are 4 different playable maps.

I am hoping for a new 5v5 map that lasts roughly 40 minutes (like SR), and has a distinguishable early, mid and end game, but allows for a slightly different approach to strategy.

two lanes no jungle
---
| . _-~^*''' o . ''*^-'|_--~^*'' .o ''*^-'|
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio
#8P00DGEPosted 5/15/2013 7:44:40 PM
OgreBattle019 posted...
P00DGE posted...
AgentReborn posted...

two lanes no jungle

I think a two lane with jungle in the middle (and buff monster in the very center) would be much better. duo top and bot with the junglers roaming around in the middle. I guess this would be more akin to a 5v5 twisted treeline though, only larger of a map.