In Asian Professional sports there are often times 1 or 2 foreign players on

#1BeerBongJohnPosted 5/24/2013 3:36:16 PM
the team. people from like d league basketball or AAA baseball often times go to Asia to be a star. The rule I think is every team can have 2 foreigners. Maybe the NA LOL teams should look into this.
---
mod me if you hear me
#2uped145Posted 5/24/2013 3:48:18 PM
Yeah except NA players have said time and time again that no Asian player wants to come to the United States because

A. They probably don't speak English
B. They're basically 18 year olds kids so they would be leaving their friends and families behind
C. Visa issues etc (I think Locco had this problem when he was on TSM or something similar)
D. In all likelihood they're joining a worse team and if they don't qualiy for LCS they're essentially screwed because they aren't salaried they traveled across the world to a foreign land and got nothing.

Your analogy comparing it to minor league baseball and basketball is pretty dumb too, but I won't mention that.
#3a5ny5Posted 5/24/2013 4:05:16 PM
uped145 posted...

Your analogy comparing it to minor league baseball and basketball is pretty dumb too, but I won't mention that.

but you just mentioned it
#4uped145Posted 5/24/2013 4:07:28 PM
uped145 posted...

Sorry, I mean that i wouldn't point out why it's flawed and ridiculous.
#5BeerBongJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 4:08:06 PM
uped145 posted...
Yeah except NA players have said time and time again that no Asian player wants to come to the United States because

A. They probably don't speak English
B. They're basically 18 year olds kids so they would be leaving their friends and families behind
C. Visa issues etc (I think Locco had this problem when he was on TSM or something similar)
D. In all likelihood they're joining a worse team and if they don't qualiy for LCS they're essentially screwed because they aren't salaried they traveled across the world to a foreign land and got nothing.

how is it dumb? america has better basketball and baseball players sometimes because they can't get on pro teams they go to asia. how is this a dumb analogy?

1. I taught English in Korea and must say the majority of them read and write English better English than most Americans I've met.( I taught Jr. High kids)
2. The number of kids that immigrate to America without their parents to live with their Aunts and Uncles to go to school in America is enormous.
3. You can easily get a student visa just to work in the states. You just need to apply for community college. There are roughly 100000 Asian kids doing this at Californian City Colleges as we speak
4. Sometimes better to be the head of a snake than be sh** out by a dragon and not get picked up by any team

I've come to realize you know nothing about Asian immigration in America and you have no idea what you're talking about. Thanks for the post tho it was amusing.

If you offered any of the Korean players a chance to live in America to play e-sports they would come at a moments notice. That CRS gaming house is probably 10x bigger than the house the President of Korea lives in... and she used to be the president's daughter so she's not poor by any means.
---
mod me if you hear me
#6BhelliumPosted 5/24/2013 4:10:33 PM(edited)
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

unfairly imo

It's a fairly good metaphor. Not perfect but no metaphor is, that's why they're only metaphors.

Seriously, if there is a better example of young people moving out of country to take advantage of an otherwise unavailable opportunity to play a game for pay on the main stage idk what it is.

Saying it like that just shows you want to be argumentative and derogatory but don't want to actually demonstrate your logic.
---
Not to mention that Morg cheated using powers from another dimension. She may as well call herself ExDeath and go Mwahahahaha- KeepItCivil
#7BeerBongJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 4:11:50 PM
Bhellium posted...
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

unfairly imo

It's a fairly good metaphor. Not perfect but no metaphor is, that's why they're only metaphors.

Seriously, if there is a better example of young people moving out of country to take advantage of an otherwise unavailable opportunity to play a game for pay on the main stage idk what it is.

Saying it like that just shows you want to be argumentative and derogatory but don't want to actually demonstrate your logic.

i'm the one being argumentative here
---
mod me if you hear me
#8CheezWhizXPosted 5/24/2013 4:21:24 PM
BeerBongJohn posted...
If you offered any of the Korean players a chance to live in America to play e-sports they would come at a moments notice. That CRS gaming house is probably 10x bigger than the house the President of Korea lives in... and she used to be the president's daughter so she's not poor by any means.

Probably not. Koreans hate losing more than anything, so why be in the region that loses the most and has the least competitive nature? If you take a glance at the Korean forums, they pretty much mock the LCS because of how bad the players and teams are there compared to OGN. Loco going to CLG for that stint in the fall is also part of the reason why Korea thinks he's also a bad player.

Money? CJ Entus, SK Telecom, KT Rolster, etc. are all huge gaming companies that can probably pay more than what Curse or TSM can offer. There's no incentive at all for an A-list Korean player to migrate over here. Maybe they can score a B-tier Korean, but just having one of those doesn't mean anything as we saw with Locodoco and CLG.
---
I sense a disturbance in the force.
League of Legends IGN: Vave
#9uped145Posted 5/24/2013 4:55:40 PM(edited)

how is it dumb? america has better basketball and baseball players sometimes because they can't get on pro teams they go to asia. how is this a dumb analogy?

Your analogy is dumb because it's an outright fallacy. No Triple A or D League players ever go to foreign teams. They are Contractually Signed by their respective professional teams. The only way they could leave to go overseas is if they were released or cut, technically they could asked to be cut/released but in all my years of following professional sports closely I've never seen a player willingly give up the opportunity to play in the big leagues to play overseas.

Of course some Americans do go to play sports overseas, but that's no different than anyone else in any other career field looking for a job overseas. I don't see why you would try to make a comparison with American professional sports

When did i claim I ever knew anything about Asian American Immigration? I'm only repeating what Pro Players have said or has happened to them in the past. If you don't believe me go read Chauster's AMA thread where CLG fans bother him everyday non-stop about "Man wouldn't this player be awesome on an NA team??". He clearly states none/hardly any Koreans are openly willing to join a North American team.

If you offered any of the Korean players a chance to live in America to play e-sports they would come at a moments notice. That CRS gaming house is probably 10x bigger than the house the President of Korea lives in... and she used to be the president's daughter so she's not poor by any means

I'm almost certain that most teams don't live in a large mansion, and once again I'm only reiterating what's been said in the past. Here go read Locco's interview where he outright says coming to America was a mistake(he was also living in the CLG mansion btw)

http://ggchronicle.com/coming-to-america-was-a-mistake-this-is-game-interviews-locodoco-of-clg-prime/

There's also several other vlogs and VOD's of him looking depressed and miserable in the states

2. The number of kids that immigrate to America without their parents to live with their Aunts and Uncles to go to school in America is enormous.
3. You can easily get a student visa just to work in the states. You just need to apply for community college. There are roughly 100000 Asian kids doing this at Californian City Colleges as we speak

What does this have to do with anything?? Going to school and playing league of legends as a profession are completely unrelated. I may not know anything about Asian Immigration but I'm sure a student visa requires..you know..actually being a student and none of the LCS players have enough time to be a full time student.

Maybe you're trying to make another analogy between school and playing competitive league of legends but pursuing an education is much less risky than going overseas to a foreign to pursue a career path that is unlikely to be viable in the next 5-10 years.
#10uped145Posted 5/24/2013 4:54:57 PM(edited)
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

unfairly imo

I've explained my reasoning. As a life-long sports fan I have a giant pet-peeve for cross sport analogies. Though I don't really consider League a proper sport but nonetheless it's still annoys me to a degree

My logic is this. If someone like Joe Rogan says "Jon Jones is the Michael Jordan of MMA" (This isn't an actual quote I'm just paraphrasing)

Why is this comparison necessary at all?? Can't we just say Jon Jones is really good.,or the greatest ever at what he does. Why do we have to compare him to anyone at all. It just makes it look like whatever sport you are comparing has an inferiority complex and has to associate itself with something else.

Same thing with the OP. Why can't you just say it's a great opportunity for young people to travel overseas and do something they enjoy?

Why must people so insistent on making a comparison with such obvious holes that anyone who follows sports at all can see.