In Asian Professional sports there are often times 1 or 2 foreign players on

#11king0091Posted 5/24/2013 4:55:29 PM
uped145 posted...

Your analogy is dumb because it's an outright fallacy. No Triple A or D League players ever go to foreign teams. They are Contractually Signed by their respective professional teams. The only way they could leave to go overseas is if they were released or cut, technically they could asked to be cut/released but in all my years of following professional sports closely I've never seen a player willingly give up the opportunity to play in the big leagues to play overseas.

Of course some Americans do go to play sports overseas, but that's no different than anyone else in any other career field looking for a job overseas. I don't see why you would try to make a comparison with American professional sports

He's saying this because many athletes that are not good enough or weren't given the chance on a NA professional team go overseas and prosper. They are better than the majority of the population but not at the pinnacle of talent yet. He's comparing these because they both have to do with entertainment and competition.
#12BeerBongJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 4:58:31 PM
uped145 posted...
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

Your analogy comparing it to minor league baseball and basketball is pretty dumb too, but I won't mention that.

but you just mentioned it

unfairly imo

It's a fairly good metaphor. Not perfect but no metaphor is, that's why they're only metaphors.

Seriously, if there is a better example of young people moving out of country to take advantage of an otherwise unavailable opportunity to play a game for pay on the main stage idk what it is.

Saying it like that just shows you want to be argumentative and derogatory but don't want to actually demonstrate your logic.

I've explained my reasoning. As a life-long sports fan I have a giant pet-peeve for cross sport analogies. Though I don't really consider League a proper sport but nonetheless it's still annoys me to a degree

My logic is this. I f someone like Joe Rogan says "Jon Jones is the Michael Jordan of MMA" (This isn't an actual quote I'm just paraphrasing)

Why is this comparison necessary at all?? Can't we just say Jon Jones is really good.,or the greatest ever at what he does. Why do we have to compare him to anyone at all

Same thing with the OP. Why can't you just say it's a great opportunity for young people to travel overseas and do something they enjoy?

Why must people so insistent on making a comparison with such obvious holes that anyone who follows sports at all can see.

the comparison isn't really that bad you're blowing things way out of proportion. also you could make a cross sport comparison for Jon Jones in the NBA but Michael Jordan doesn't really fit. If anything he's close to a Kevin Durant. Way too tall and lanky to be playing his position or weight class and destroys people using his length and athleticism instead of girth/beefiness.
---
mod me if you hear me
#13uped145Posted 5/24/2013 4:59:01 PM
He's comparing these because they both have to do with entertainment and competition.

I understand that. I just pointed out the holes in his comparison since traveling overseas to compete is fairly borad and he chose to narrow it to D Leaguers and AAA players
#14KeepItCivilPosted 5/24/2013 5:04:18 PM(edited)
uped145 posted...
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

Your analogy comparing it to minor league baseball and basketball is pretty dumb too, but I won't mention that.

unfairly imo

It's a fairly good metaphor. Not perfect but no metaphor is, that's why they're only metaphors.

Seriously, if there is a better example of young people moving out of country to take advantage of an otherwise unavailable opportunity to play a game for pay on the main stage idk what it is.

Saying it like that just shows you want to be argumentative and derogatory but don't want to actually demonstrate your logic.

I've explained my reasoning. As a life-long sports fan I have a giant pet-peeve for cross sport analogies. Though I don't really consider League a proper sport but nonetheless it's still annoys me to a degree

My logic is this. If someone like Joe Rogan says "Jon Jones is the Michael Jordan of MMA" (This isn't an actual quote I'm just paraphrasing)

Why is this comparison necessary at all?? Can't we just say Jon Jones is really good.,or the greatest ever at what he does. Why do we have to compare him to anyone at all. It just makes it look like whatever sport you are comparing has an inferiority complex and has to associate itself with something else.

Same thing with the OP. Why can't you just say it's a great opportunity for young people to travel overseas and do something they enjoy?

Why must people so insistent on making a comparison with such obvious holes that anyone who follows sports at all can see.

Because saying "X's really good" sounds incredibly bland and uninspired. When people are describing something, one of the first instincts is to go "it's like Z". Even if it's not completely accurate, you're not always appealing to the "true Z", but to the popular image of Z. And some sports people are really popular.
And I'd argue that maybe they have fun looking for comparisons, but I'm not too sure about that.
Also screw this huge quote box. Wish there was an prettier way to quote one post that's quoting something.
---
http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/4/2/4/43424.jpg?v=1
To Carl Barks.
#15uped145Posted 5/24/2013 5:06:22 PM(edited)
uped145 posted...
a5ny5 posted...
uped145 posted...

unfairly imo

My logic is this. I f someone like Joe Rogan says "Jon Jones is the Michael Jordan of MMA" (This isn't an actual quote I'm just paraphrasing)

Why is this comparison necessary at all?? Can't we just say Jon Jones is really good.,or the greatest ever at what he does. Why do we have to compare him to anyone at all

the comparison isn't really that bad you're blowing things way out of proportion. also you could make a cross sport comparison for Jon Jones in the NBA but Michael Jordan doesn't really fit. If anything he's close to a Kevin Durant. Way too tall and lanky to be playing his position or weight class and destroys people using his length and athleticism instead of girth/beefiness.

What?? That wasn't the point of my statement at all. You're comparing their physical skill sets. The quote I made up was to compare their greatness in their respective sports. My point was that a comparison between two sports is almost always completely unnecessary because you're just trying to reach a broader audience and it's insulting to fans that actually follow both.
#16BeerBongJohn(Topic Creator)Posted 5/24/2013 5:07:17 PM
so you're saying Jon Jones isn't the Kevin Durant of MMA?
---
mod me if you hear me
#17uped145Posted 5/24/2013 5:23:04 PM
so you're saying Jon Jones isn't the Kevin Durant of MMA?

No because I think all cross sports comparison are ridiculous because they're never 100 percent exact and it bugs me. I mean they are in two completely different sports it makes no sense to compare them in my opinion.

But just for the sake of argument if you think Jones gets by on just his athleticism then you're under-appreciating his grappling skill and technicality. Just see for yourself

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/jon-jones-best-wrestler-mma-gifs-2229305/

Don't be fooled just because they gave him a joke of fight like Sonnen. You don't dominate 4 former champions just by being more athletic and lanky.
#18angermngment101Posted 5/24/2013 5:25:46 PM
locodoco
---
Gamefax
#19Clutch_TheoryPosted 5/24/2013 5:33:56 PM
angermngment101 posted...
locodoco

.......who went back to Korea after like a week to play on a korean team. plus he sucked as a support anyway
#20angermngment101Posted 5/24/2013 5:35:53 PM
.......who went back to Korea after like a week to play on a korean team. plus he sucked as a support anyway

point is, they looked into it.

other point is..... the b,c, and d tier foreign players cant even compete with the A tier NA players, so why should we look for outside talent?
---
Gamefax