Never understood why people watch other people play this game

#21R_JackalPosted 5/27/2013 4:48:09 AM
natchu96 posted...
Why do we watch other people play chess then? That's not athletic (even though the athletic argument is still downright absurd).

Chess requires a lot more personal effort and quite a good amount more knowledge and planning than anything that is in League of Legends. It just doesn't have instant gratification and flashy effects to make it seem "awesome."

That being said, saying "watching them makes you better" is a crutch. It says you can't learn on your own without someone there helping you along the way. You can't go "Oh, I did this wrong, I was out of position, this happened. We lost that fight because these things happened. Let's see if we can do better" without a "pro" players guiding hand, and that is why a lot of this community will never even begin to see the outside of Bronze/Low silver.

That being said, the concept of competitive gaming is pretty asinine. Watching people play a game for entertainment value is...bizarre. Sports played at professional levels require a good amount of hard work on the athletes part. Conditioning, training, making sure they won't get injured, planning, studying. Then they go out there and risk physical harm to themselves.

In professional gaming, you watch people get paid to play a game for entertainment. You watch people for entertainment, who are playing a game, which is another form of entertainment that you can easily take part in. Even "professional poker" has a bigger stake as people are playing with their livelihood, and requires many of the same skills a game like LoL does.

They get rewarded for...doing nothing, really. You can talk about how they have to train and practice, and I'm sure they do, but the "training" you have to do for a video game versus for...anything else most like, is a huge discrepancy.
#22MachDragonPosted 5/27/2013 4:55:04 AM
R_Jackal posted...
Even "professional poker" has a bigger stake as people are playing with their livelihood, and requires many of the same skills a game like LoL does.

Yeah I hear them poker players need some pretty good hand-eye and team management skills

+1 confirm
#23Final_HatsamuPosted 5/27/2013 5:07:25 AM
nomore posted...
TwoShensGG posted...
To me, it'd be like watching Messi and imitating him when I play my own games of football.

Fixed

ftfy that for you
---
M-8 "I turn the tide, by choosing to abide"
1Cross + 3Nails = 4given
#24supershadonicPosted 5/27/2013 5:10:03 AM
Dude... for fun/excitement and for learning some moves.

And for me... one more reason....for me that is...

Its that today each and every kind of sport has money involved in it. everyone is bribed to get a certain outcome in a certain time. Matches are fixed thoughout the world. not every match is fixed... but even when they aren't my head keeps on telling me "oh plz don't do anything fixed till the game ends".

LOL tournaments right now do not feel like influenced by money. The outcomes are real and not artificially generated.
#25mgtonvac55Posted 5/27/2013 5:16:17 AM
R_Jackal posted...
[A lot of BS.]

Not using every method available to you in order to learn is stupid. Watching people who do something better than you in order to learn isn't a "crutch" at all. Since this is the LoL board, I suppose it isn't surprising that one of the most basic methods of learning is considered "a "crutch", yet I feel that sense of shock at hearing it all the same.
---
New York Yankees 30-19
#26Black_AssassinPosted 5/27/2013 5:18:23 AM
Never understood why people make such inane argumen-

GameFAQs

Nevermind.
---
lowercase
#27Straight_CougarPosted 5/27/2013 5:21:16 AM
R_Jackal posted...
natchu96 posted...
Why do we watch other people play chess then? That's not athletic (even though the athletic argument is still downright absurd).

Chess requires a lot more personal effort and quite a good amount more knowledge and planning than anything that is in League of Legends. It just doesn't have instant gratification and flashy effects to make it seem "awesome."

That being said, saying "watching them makes you better" is a crutch. It says you can't learn on your own without someone there helping you along the way. You can't go "Oh, I did this wrong, I was out of position, this happened. We lost that fight because these things happened. Let's see if we can do better" without a "pro" players guiding hand, and that is why a lot of this community will never even begin to see the outside of Bronze/Low silver.

That being said, the concept of competitive gaming is pretty asinine. Watching people play a game for entertainment value is...bizarre. Sports played at professional levels require a good amount of hard work on the athletes part. Conditioning, training, making sure they won't get injured, planning, studying. Then they go out there and risk physical harm to themselves.

In professional gaming, you watch people get paid to play a game for entertainment. You watch people for entertainment, who are playing a game, which is another form of entertainment that you can easily take part in. Even "professional poker" has a bigger stake as people are playing with their livelihood, and requires many of the same skills a game like LoL does.

They get rewarded for...doing nothing, really. You can talk about how they have to train and practice, and I'm sure they do, but the "training" you have to do for a video game versus for...anything else most like, is a huge discrepancy.

This is absolutely asinine. How is learning from people who know better a crutch? I shouldn't take guitar lessons from a teacher, I should just figure it out on my own. I shouldn't go to school, I should just figure it out on my own.

Not to mention the fact that almost everything you said about professional sports applies to the pro LoL scene. They have to put in hours of practice to achieve team coordination, they put in good hours studying the opposition, as well as the game. The only thing truly absent is injuries.

These people put in long hours, and then compete for money, like literally every competitive sport. If they lose, they've lost a massive time investment, and have to rely on sponsors. Sure it's not as big a stake as poker, but what is?
---
Shrinking the world, one second at a time.
#28LoveFreakFlonnePosted 5/27/2013 5:40:25 AM
Because im at work and its much easier to just get up and walk away from watching someone play rather than being in a game. (Though if I know its going to be a dead night, and I'm not doing other things on the comp as well Ill play instead)
---
You think you know bout me, but forget what you heard. I want a sexy nerd. There's other men on my list but you know they aren't first I want a sexy nerd.
#29ChocoboDreamsPosted 5/27/2013 5:52:00 AM(edited)
R_Jackal posted...
natchu96 posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq1ey4-ewyQ

This crowd disagrees with a majority of what you have to say. And it's but one of many moments to be found at tournaments like these.
---
I just want Card Sagas Wars. Seriously, I'd do anything, just give me Card Sagas Wars. Please.
PSN:ChocoboDreams
#30rphxPosted 5/27/2013 5:52:13 AM
One more thing. Sports are just games too. Yeah for a professional game you'll have to be athletic. Well for professional e-sports you'll need great reflexes, good strategic sense, fast math. Both are games, both require a certain set of skills that are hard to gain and requires a lot of training to keep topped off and both means their livelihoods for the professionals.

Streamers are important cause they usually explain things on their stream and you can learn things from them. Tournaments are great since they go all out there since its their jobs on the line so they will sow all the know. If you think you don't need them when you are not on their level then you are full of yourself. If you are not on their level of play then that is probably cause they know better. The know things and do things that you don't. If you have figured it out for yourself then it would be you there and not them.