LoL should have a day just like The Purge.

#21UnderwaterAirPosted 6/9/2013 11:18:15 PM
Anyone who thinks the concept in the Purge was good or had anything going for it has no idea how society itself works.
#22BhelliumPosted 6/10/2013 1:26:22 AM
Or is just goddamn bad at cost/benefit analysis in the first place.
---
Standby for original and insightful thoughts.
#23AgentRebornPosted 6/10/2013 1:51:54 AM
UnderwaterAir posted...
Anyone who thinks the concept in the Purge was good or had anything going for it has no idea how society itself works.

The amount of unexplored possibility just based off the premise is absurd. I dont think you know what you're talking about. Yeah people are off looting and murdering and that's what the movie focuses on but what about

-Hackers?
-People who operate black market channels? How do they operate now that you could probably buy and sell anything?
-Do small businesses even exist anymore? Do small-scale retailers like Radio Shack exist? How can each individual store protect its merchandise from being looted? Do only big-box retailers like Wal-mart exist now because of that?
-Are scientists off doing crazy experiments on humans or conducting any and all manner of illegal research now that they can for 12 hours?

Hell, this would be the PERFECT opportunity for a foreign army to invade the country a la Red Dawn. Or Al Qaeda to attack the US. Yeah, this concept has no potential....other than what I came up with in 30 seconds off the top of my head

Nope, better make a mediocre-to-poor slasher movie that doesn't even need to fill in the most obvious plot hole that plagues all slashers
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1935601/hynoski2.gif
#24AgentRebornPosted 6/10/2013 1:59:45 AM
Or explore the real horror behind concept of the movie: finding out that the people who are normal for 364 and half days out of the year turn into cruel, murdering psychopaths when the possibility of them being punished is removed
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1935601/hynoski2.gif
#25RaverbasherPosted 6/10/2013 4:39:39 AM
I agree, i thought it was a good concept too.

There was also a number of academic ideas it could have tied into, such as the need for many societies to have some kind of day/celebration where the standard roles and behaviour of people in society are inverted.

There was a lot they could have done with it. To hear it was just turned into another slasher movie is disappointing.
---
Our greatest glory is not in never trolling, but in rising every time we troll - Confucius
#26Suffer_NotPosted 6/10/2013 4:52:02 AM
As far as the purge goes, I'm jut going to link Movie Bob;s opinion on it because we more or less see eye to eye concerning it's shortcomings.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/7435-The-Purge

Concerning applying the concept to League, I'm pretty sure that's what Solo Queue Normals are. Games where people do anything for no other reason than because they just really wanted to jungle as AD Annie.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#27Elemental FusionPosted 6/10/2013 4:52:25 AM
AgentReborn posted...
UnderwaterAir posted...

The amount of unexplored possibility just based off the premise is absurd. I dont think you know what you're talking about. Yeah people are off looting and murdering and that's what the movie focuses on but what about

-Hackers?
-People who operate black market channels? How do they operate now that you could probably buy and sell anything?
-Do small businesses even exist anymore? Do small-scale retailers like Radio Shack exist? How can each individual store protect its merchandise from being looted? Do only big-box retailers like Wal-mart exist now because of that?
-Are scientists off doing crazy experiments on humans or conducting any and all manner of illegal research now that they can for 12 hours?

Hell, this would be the PERFECT opportunity for a foreign army to invade the country a la Red Dawn. Or Al Qaeda to attack the US. Yeah, this concept has no potential....other than what I came up with in 30 seconds off the top of my head

Nope, better make a mediocre-to-poor slasher movie that doesn't even need to fill in the most obvious plot hole that plagues all slashers

All of those reasons are part of what makes the concept so awful and unbelievable. It just wouldn't work or ever be instituted (barring some kind of insane dictator being in charge - I didn't get that impression from the commercials for the move though). Even fictional worlds need to get you to believe them. And this just reeks of "quickly contrived movie" idea.
---
"You can kill a man, but you can't kill what he stands for. Not unless you first break his spirit. That's a beautiful thing to see."
#28infinitexxPosted 6/10/2013 5:01:01 AM
Until today I had no idea that anyone thought could possibly be a high minded concept for a film rather than a cheap thrills crapshoot.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.