How do these kids in championship leagues explain to their parents

#71AllGodsDiePosted 6/14/2013 2:27:05 PM(edited)
Why do you guys all think these guys are sitting on several hundred thousand? If you win a tournament and you get 200 thousand, that is then split between 5 players. Then the team manager has to be paid, and the gaming house/equipment has to be paid for.

These guys aren't making as much money as you guys think. None of the NA teams have a million dollar win on their bank either.

Saying their actual salary is 6 digits is a joke. Also, if they get kicked from their team...well, now what?
---
Xboxtags-KarmaRetention/Pebble7880.
Steam-Allgodsdie
#72The-World-SevenPosted 6/14/2013 2:26:12 PM
Let's be clear about player salaries

Only world champion level players for a few select games get over $100k USD.

The highest earning NA LCS players (TSM, Gambit, EG) earn about as much as an average Master's Degree student ($50-60k USD). OGN Champions earn about 25% more than that.

Below that the average LCS players earn about the same or less than your average Bachelor's Degree earner, about $30k USD.

The highest earning StarCraft players are career players. They become coaches and managers after retirement. The same should be for League of Legends. HotshotGG is his team's CEO so his case is a little different, but he'll still be involved with the gaming industry.

lol
---
My Hubris is bigger than yours.
#73PAHERZPosted 6/14/2013 9:24:36 PM
The-World-Seven posted...
CheezWhizX posted...
by showing them how 6-figures is common among LCS teams.

can i just yell at you about how wrong you are?

YU WRONG

http://www.esportsearnings.com/games/14/

SO SO WRONG

those are only tournament earnings. Its missing sponsorships and other revenues like streaming
---
If i was a potato, i would be a good potato.
#74The-World-SevenPosted 6/15/2013 3:18:22 AM
Top streamers (10k viewership) used to be able to get almost $2,000 a month if they tried really hard and streamed like 16 hours a day, and that was when twitch had owned as competition. that doesn't happen anymore. Now they get like half that.

I don't know how much sponsorships get them, but a large part of it - most of it should be going towards living expenses. They have mansions for gaming houses.
---
#75CheezWhizXPosted 6/15/2013 3:30:20 AM
Top streamers (10k viewership) used to be able to get almost $2,000 a month if they tried really hard and streamed like 16 hours a day, and that was when twitch had owned as competition. that doesn't happen anymore. Now they get like half that.

I don't know how much sponsorships get them, but a large part of it - most of it should be going towards living expenses. They have mansions for gaming houses.

>10k viewership
>$2,000 a month
>16 hours a day streaming

am I being tricked here? am i back in the land of 2010 where own3d was the primary streamer or something? OddOne and Dyrus both stated on stream they make 6-figures from streaming alone.
---
I sense a disturbance in the force.
League of Legends IGN: Vave
#76The-World-SevenPosted 6/15/2013 4:22:49 AM
Even if they did say that, it obviously wasn't true. Just do the math lololol
---
#77CheezWhizXPosted 6/15/2013 4:25:07 AM
Even if they did say that, it obviously wasn't true. Just do the math lololol

Do the math on what? What would they gain about lying on what they earn? They could say they earn like 10k a year and they'll still get 40k viewers on average.
---
I sense a disturbance in the force.
League of Legends IGN: Vave
#78The-World-SevenPosted 6/15/2013 4:33:32 AM
let's continue to throw more numbers around and not do any math
---
#79The-World-SevenPosted 6/15/2013 4:33:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#80CheezWhizXPosted 6/15/2013 4:35:31 AM
let's continue to throw more numbers around and not do any math