How come Zephyr isn't recommended on most champ lists?

#1shadowofthearkPosted 6/15/2013 12:21:28 PM
I almost always see Phantom Dancer when the Zephyr seems like a great alternative.
Playing Vayne, who has no crit-based stuff, seems like Zephyr would be better on her than Phantom Dancer.
---
Due to technical difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been shut off...
#2DiplomacySCPosted 6/15/2013 12:22:36 PM
You only buy Zephyr on an ADC to replace boots. IE+PD is still the core of an ADC's build.
#3HyperTailsManPosted 6/15/2013 12:22:45 PM
No crit, doesn't provide half of its stats until the final upgrade, stinger isn't that great of an individual upgrade.
---
Just call me HTM
#4BhelliumPosted 6/15/2013 12:25:18 PM
because it's not optimal on most champs
---
Standby for original and insightful thoughts.
#5Gladiator28Posted 6/15/2013 12:26:49 PM
how is it on graves?

especially if you build a bloodthirster first?
---
LoL - Jokmor
GENERATION 21: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
#6VoidgolemPosted 6/15/2013 12:28:43 PM
it's expensive and not particularly good at what it does.

It might be cost-efficient but for most of the stats it gives you're better off looking elsewhere.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lqe4eqRA0v1qflc3ro1_500.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qhlgoAC.png
#7Badmood136Posted 6/15/2013 12:32:22 PM(edited)
shadowoftheark posted...
I almost always see Phantom Dancer when the Zephyr seems like a great alternative.
Playing Vayne, who has no crit-based stuff, seems like Zephyr would be better on her than Phantom Dancer.

Most of the ranged ADCs (including vayne) get a lot of damage out of crit. Crit is the reason ADCs hurt - it turns their 1.0 ratio AAs into 2.5 ratio nukes. 50% AS and 25 AD doesn't compare to what PD gives for a ranged ADC's damage output.

As a side-note, certain bruisers such as Jax and Irelia do get good use out of Zephyr due to the added sticking power and AS.
---
>;_;> >;_;> ^_^>(::) . . | GT:TwinInfinite
He took our cookie... | Active: LoL, TF2
#8xSighxPosted 6/15/2013 12:37:23 PM
Gladiator28 posted...
how is it on graves?

especially if you build a bloodthirster first?

graves is more of a caster than an auto attacker, pure AD is much better on him. besides he already has a strong AS steroid for sustained dps.

i only take zephyr on jax and aatrox :3
#9mgtonvac55Posted 6/15/2013 12:42:39 PM
shadowoftheark posted...

Zephyr isn't a great alternative to PD for AD carries. Crit is absolutely essential.

shadowoftheark posted...

Vayne does have crit-based stuff - they're called auto attacks. Focusing purely on attack speed over damage reduces Vayne's damage output, not increases it. Her true damage doesn't proc on every attack. You're sacrificing the bulk of her damage output by not building crit and damage.
---
New York Yankees 37-30
#10TaijouroukunPosted 6/15/2013 12:47:12 PM
i just notice how similar zephyr is to blade of the ruined king. both gives 25 ad, one gives 40% attack speed and the other 50%. 350 gold separates the two's price. so if you want zephyr for its attack speed and attack damage combo, you might as well just grab the botrk which is a vastly superior item. and i can't imagine any situation where you want both.

so zephyr is really just good for replacing boots.