What was the nerf that supposedly butchered Olaf?

#1Ctrl_Alt_FUPosted 6/26/2013 7:18:19 AM
---
"How to League 101 is the greatest thing to happen to the LoL board since dennis invented sliced bread!" - xRustySpoon
#2MindersPosted 6/26/2013 7:19:18 AM
Gragas lowered the alcohol% in craggy ice and now Brolaf isn't drunk enough to play properly.
---
"homer the lord only asks for one hour a week" -Marge
"in that case he should have made the week an hour longer..." -Homer (GF)
#3KirbixPosted 6/26/2013 7:20:32 AM
^I like that answer, but srs answer:

Q's slow got nerfed and his ult lost its passive armor pen.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#4iPWNtheNoobsPosted 6/26/2013 7:24:50 AM
ult lost its passive armor pen.

Mainly this. + Style of game changed. He has no gap closer, no mspd increase nothing.
---
Space Waster
#5DartDragoonPosted 6/26/2013 7:26:28 AM
The slow on the axe gradually goes away rather quickly instead of being applied for the whole duration. It lost some damage too iirc
---
GT: AstroZombie29
SF4: Vega BB: Arakune MK: Sindel UMvC3: TaskMstr / Haggar / Trish
#6ohnoitslueshiPosted 6/26/2013 7:30:31 AM
That + an increase in attacks that deal percentage-based damage, which negate his main shtick of building massive amounts of health to gain equally large amounts of AD on W.
---
"melody: the noise your baby momma makes when I'm layin the pipe" - Cysi
#7Suffer_NotPosted 6/26/2013 7:34:32 AM
The loss of free armor pen hurt his laning phase, and while that didn't affect jungle Olaf (you were probably ulting when you dueled someone anyway, so the loss in trading power after 6 was irrelevant), they changed the slow on his Q to decay over time, which basically reduced the effectiveness of the slow by 33% or some math number I don't remember off the top of my head.

So his laning was nerfed, his jungle was nerfed, and this was a point in time where he still had a sub 50% win rate. While Pros may have been able to use him to his full effectiveness, your average player couldn't. So after those two nerfs the average player dropped him because "lol he got nerfed he SUX now" while in the pro scene Top lane drifted back to the back up initiator (top lane Kennen, Jarvan, etc) or a poke/kiter (Jayce, Elise, etc) which didn't really favor Olaf as a pick, while junglers needed to be tanks with go buttons (Sejuani, Zac, Nocturne, etc). So with no one willing to play him in Solo queue and the meta shifting away from top lane duelists, Olaf stopped being played.

And it's not really fair to just pin this all on Olaf, most 'duelist bruisers' aren't seeing much play. Olaf, Irelia, Pantheon, Darius, Garen, Wukong, Riven, Yorick, it's not that these champions are butchered, but rather that they just don't fit into the team comps people are running now a days.
---
http://i.imgur.com/7Wah6.jpg
I'm actually incredibly overly passionate and...whats the word...viscous? - EltoniaX
#8Bail_TaviraPosted 6/26/2013 7:34:57 AM
Kinda blows now. I miss pre-nerf Olaf's insane regen and arpen