Tips to playing ARAM effectively

#1PrintScreenKeyPosted 7/10/2013 5:15:54 PM(edited)
1. Save up re-roll points, your allies should be doing the same if they're at a good skill level.
2. Own a good mixture of strong champions. Top ARAM champions in each major category include: sustain(sona,soraka), poke(ziggs,kog), initiating tanks(leona,maokai), ADC (ashe, MF) and AOE (fiddlesticks, wukong).
3. After getting a random team, check your team composition. Ideally you want one of each category: a poke, sustain, tank, ADC and aoe. If the team composition does not have each of these roles, re-roll or swap your good champion to a teammate so you can re-roll their weak champion.
5. During the game setup a plan. Let everyone know their responsibility and how the teamfights will be co-ordinated.
6. If winning many games and your MMR is high, the game plan becomes less of a factor since everyone is good and you will have to rely on mechanics.

Key stats and items for each role
Sustain & poke - CDR/AP/manaregen eg morellonomicon, deathcap
initating tanks - Health regen/auras eg orb of winter, guardian's horn, locket, bulwark
ADC - CDR/AD/AS eg elder lizard, black cleaver, bork, sanguine blade
AOE - AP/MPEN or AD/Arpen eg void staff, deathcap, last whisper, black cleaver

General key strategy I use in every game:

Have your poke weaken their health bars as much as possible.
Have your sustain remain in the back, keeping your team at high health.
Have your initiating tank initiate at level 6 and whenever abilities are off cooldown.
Have your AOE follow up a tank initiate. Example: Leona hook->Ult into Fiddle ult.
Have your ADC follow up with constant damage, picking off targets one at a time.

Optional: Honor your good allies after the game. There will be chances that they will be on your team or enemy team next time. This builds a good relationship between you and other ARAM players at your level.
#2MachDragonPosted 7/10/2013 5:10:19 PM(edited)
PrintScreenKey posted...
2. Own a good mixture of strong champions. Top ARAM champions in each major category include: sustain(sona,soraka), poke(ziggs,kog), initiating tanks(leona,maokai), ADC (ashe, MF) and AOE (fiddlesticks, wukong).

So, the entire champion roster.

Maybe it would've been better to mention the odd champions that you absolutely must not roll in order to win
---
6/30/13 - Never forget
http://imgur.com/a/EbDkD
#3LordClydePosted 7/10/2013 5:17:02 PM(edited)
Tip: Dodge if your team didn't roll Jayce.

Because chances are, the enemy team did.
#4TwidgerPosted 7/10/2013 5:20:20 PM
MachDragon posted...
PrintScreenKey posted...

Maybe it would've been better to mention the odd champions that you absolutely must not roll in order to win

Garen is the best one I can think of :|
#5Chielz0rPosted 7/10/2013 5:23:25 PM
What?
Garen is great in ARAM.
#6PrintScreenKey(Topic Creator)Posted 7/10/2013 5:50:28 PM
Twidger posted...
MachDragon posted...
PrintScreenKey posted...

Garen is the best one I can think of :|

Garen can fill the tank role.
Use his speed buff and shurelyas and silence the enemy AP.
Make yourself a primary target so you can soak all their abilities.
Have your team follow up afterwards
#7VyseZeroPosted 7/10/2013 6:00:12 PM
I re-roll garen because if they have enough cc it is very difficult to initiate since he doesn't have a blink gap closer.
---
Tunak Tunak Tun Da Da Da
#8peteasPosted 7/10/2013 6:02:53 PM
Reroll eve shaco leblanc
#9WyrmcraftPosted 7/10/2013 6:04:14 PM
No, you reroll Renekton
---
"Will the circle be unbroken, by and by, by and by? Is a better home awaiting, In the sky, in the sky?" ~ Elizabeth, Bioshock Infinite
#10Edgemaster70000Posted 7/10/2013 6:13:56 PM
You focused on all of this stuff (which isn't even right by the way, if you get 3 champs with poke regardless of the rest of the team comp you'll win) but didn't focus on health-pack management at all? People being excessively stupid with health pack management / usage / trapping are why I lose a lot of my ARAM games.

1. If you have under 50% health and not one but both of your team's health packs are ready to go, GRAB ONE, don't stay out there in lane where you're easy pickings for one combo. If you wait until you barely live through a combo to grab one, then the health you get back is negligible because you'll still be weak enough to pick off with one more short combo. If you grab the health pack, it will usually restore you to about 75% health unless you're a hyper-beefy tank, and the pack can be regenerating for the next teammate that needs it. A health pack sitting there unused doesn't do anyone any good at all. Sustain wins ARAMs, and if your team doesn't make effective use of health packs, your sustain will be severely diminished. I've seen at least half the people I get matched with seem to completely forget there's a second health pack behind the first turret, sit in lane with less than 25% health, and get picked off basically for free.

2. If the enemy team is pushed to their turret and their health pack shows up, for God's sake, DON'T RUN AT THE HEALTH PACK unless they're so far behind they can't afford to initiate. Why? Because they'll blow you the **** up since they'll know exactly what spot to shoot their abilities. On the other hand, you and your team should be ready to ambush whatever poor sap goes for that health pack as well. Health packs are integral parts to ARAM's "tug of war" game, where two good teams will be trying to either grab or bait health pack attempts at all times.
---
XBL GT: ReptileAssassin. Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Emerl18
There's a point when trolling stops being funny.....When it starts.