why is skarner never played anymore?

#1HappyDude69Posted 7/25/2013 8:04:57 PM
Topic
---
"if i was a women i would kill myself so i would never have the chance to sleep with you" ~Cloneslayer
#2aHappySackaPosted 7/25/2013 8:08:01 PM
Why is this asked every week?
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#3mistrfantasyPosted 7/25/2013 8:13:57 PM
qss
#4MumblypegPosted 7/25/2013 8:17:20 PM
having ramm's e for an ult
---
LoL IGN: Mumblypeg
#5HappyDude69(Topic Creator)Posted 7/25/2013 8:44:29 PM
aHappySacka posted...
Why is this asked every week?

Probably because no one says anything worth while.
---
"if i was a women i would kill myself so i would never have the chance to sleep with you" ~Cloneslayer
#6KaliphearPosted 7/25/2013 9:24:57 PM
We're doing this again?

Skarner basically doesn't work so well anymore because of two reasons: Mobility Creep and its interaction with his ult, and Resistances.

Skarner's only tactic for ganking is running at people. Yeah, he can run really fast and he has a slow on his Q that can be applied almost permanently, but in the end it's still very obvious when and where Skarner will be coming for you. This makes it much easier to juke/outplay/evade his ganks, reducing his effectiveness (similar to the way that Warwick and Shyvana are considered useless for ganking without their ults, which are both gapclosers/CC). This is coupled with the fact that most of the popular champions right now have some form of instantaneous gapcloser/gap-creator that allows them to avoid Skarner and get back to their tower unless he blows Flash. Couple that with the "recent" nerf to the interaction between his ultimate and any form of gap-creation or high speed movement, and Skarner just can't catch anyone anymore.

What's more, his most reliable defenisve and offensive tool (his W) has been nerfed due to the decreased cost and increased effectiveness of penetration coupled with the simultaneous increased cost and decreased effectiveness of damage resistance. This means that Skarner can no longer keep his W up for as long, which is a huge hit to his mobility and damage output (due to his passive). Couple that with Skarner's itemization basically hinging on Trinity Force in season 2 (an item which is almost universally accepted as bad now), and it's pretty clear that he's kind of in a bad spot.

And it's not even that Skarner's bad. He still works, it's just that too many champions are able to do his job better. Hecarim, Zac, Jarvan IV, Nautilus, and Sejuani are all better at closing gaps and ganking than he is, and they all bring some combination of damage/disruption to the table that Skarner just doesn't have. And if you only need a single target ganker with more reasonable damage output, you'll usually pick Elise, Maokai, or Xin Zhao. Basically, his niche used to be that he could pop Shureliya's and/or Ghost and force a squishy target out of their team to be immediately bursted. But that's just not as useful anymore in a world where he explodes before he can drag them back.
#7KirbixPosted 7/25/2013 9:36:52 PM(edited)
Kaliphear posted...
We're doing this again?

Skarner basically doesn't work so well anymore because of two reasons: Mobility Creep and its interaction with his ult, and Resistances.

Skarner's only tactic for ganking is running at people. Yeah, he can run really fast and he has a slow on his Q that can be applied almost permanently, but in the end it's still very obvious when and where Skarner will be coming for you. This makes it much easier to juke/outplay/evade his ganks, reducing his effectiveness (similar to the way that Warwick and Shyvana are considered useless for ganking without their ults, which are both gapclosers/CC). This is coupled with the fact that most of the popular champions right now have some form of instantaneous gapcloser/gap-creator that allows them to avoid Skarner and get back to their tower unless he blows Flash. Couple that with the "recent" nerf to the interaction between his ultimate and any form of gap-creation or high speed movement, and Skarner just can't catch anyone anymore.

What's more, his most reliable defenisve and offensive tool (his W) has been nerfed due to the decreased cost and increased effectiveness of penetration coupled with the simultaneous increased cost and decreased effectiveness of damage resistance. This means that Skarner can no longer keep his W up for as long, which is a huge hit to his mobility and damage output (due to his passive). Couple that with Skarner's itemization basically hinging on Trinity Force in season 2 (an item which is almost universally accepted as bad now), and it's pretty clear that he's kind of in a bad spot.

And it's not even that Skarner's bad. He still works, it's just that too many champions are able to do his job better. Hecarim, Zac, Jarvan IV, Nautilus, and Sejuani are all better at closing gaps and ganking than he is, and they all bring some combination of damage/disruption to the table that Skarner just doesn't have. And if you only need a single target ganker with more reasonable damage output, you'll usually pick Elise, Maokai, or Xin Zhao. Basically, his niche used to be that he could pop Shureliya's and/or Ghost and force a squishy target out of their team to be immediately bursted. But that's just not as useful anymore in a world where he explodes before he can drag them back.

I agreed with you up to that point. No one built Skarner with Trinity Force unless they were going #yoloswag and trying to hard carry. Skarner was always a far better presence to the team building wits and tanky items.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus
#8realfreakoPosted 7/25/2013 9:52:09 PM
I had a skarner carry us today. Skarner has a very strong early game and he abused it by killing enemy jungle during first route, forcing bot fight/dive and snowballing
---
PSN/MGO: TehFlame
#9aHappySackaPosted 7/25/2013 10:02:08 PM
realfreako posted...
I had a skarner carry us today. Skarner has a very strong early game and he abused it by killing enemy jungle during first route, forcing bot fight/dive and snowballing

Who was the enemy jungler? details man if it was someone like Amumu then it's nothing special.
---
You are now blinking and breathing manually.
http://i.imgur.com/j8p5fA8.png
#10LimeInCoconutPosted 7/25/2013 10:58:19 PM
Dunno, he still feels plenty strong with an Iceborn Gauntlet and some tank.

If I'm feeling ballsy I'll buy a Shurelya's on him for hardcore ganks
---
http://i.imgur.com/6AzX0.gif http://i.imgur.com/x7ji9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/sA2IS.gif