Matchmaking - tricking you into games with no meaning. not competitive.

#1superhPosted 7/28/2013 8:30:21 AM
ever wondered why you go on great winning streaks, but only to end up on a equal losing streak? That is the matchmaking forcing you to sit at 50% win ratio or less.

You can carry, sure. to a point. When you win 10 games in a row, the matchmaking will start intentionally putting worse people on your team, and face you all against better opponents all together. Win again? Now have worse team mates. You won 10 in a row again? 20 win streak? OK have 800 ELO players on your team against 1900 Elo players.

If you are good you can carry, but eventually you reach a point where the other team is just as skilled as you if not better, and your team has intentionally been made significantly worse on purpose. Even a diamond player can't carry 4 bronze players against another team of diamonds, for example.

So all the games that you thought were yours to carry, well? Sometimes they just aren't. The matchamking is forcing you to lose.

This of course, applies to normals too(except you can 5 man premade to eliminate it). I had been wondering about this for a while and I was pointed to a video by Athene recently... He's pretty much worked it out.

Well played.

Personally this just makes the game seem pointless from a competitive standpoint to me now. Outside of 5v5 premades this game is not competitive. Solo Q is not a competitive "system" after learning this. Sure you can progress slowly, but knowing that you are destined to lose certain games seems like a big waste of time and energy.
---
"Magic doesn't exist? Oh really, then explain magic tricks you nimwit."
-Dax Flame
#2xDarknezzxPosted 7/28/2013 8:31:58 AM
sniper frog is back

if this was real though, how come im still being matched against plat + diamond players when im a silver 2 player on a 9 game loss streak?
---
LoL IGN: Maulios Dad
#3FvPPosted 7/28/2013 8:35:34 AM
You can play 3s and never go on losing streaks

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/21781936
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/20548683
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/22059070
---
FvP | falco_vs_peach | *^*"The Shinies" Member*^* | Adventure Time Member
PBWSB | PDPSB | /pdpsb/ | PBWSB User Tournament Winner: DiabIo
#4superh(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 8:49:06 AM(edited)
xDarknezzx posted...
sniper frog is back

if this was real though, how come im still being matched against plat + diamond players when im a silver 2 player on a 9 game loss streak?

sniper frog is real. It's in league of legends too, just in the form of matchamking.

You are the weak player being matched with the stronger player who the matchmaking is trying to make lose. You also take things like premades into account. Is somebody on your team smurfing? Their hidden MMR might be sky high but they are still in bronze/gold, climbing, and the system is pairing you with him to make him lose.

Matchmaking detects that you are on a lose streak and determines that you are likley to lose again so it pairs you with somebody who they want to lose.

3v3 is a different ball game. Premades don't suffer from this. That is where league is truly a competitive game, and this problem doesn't exist.
---
-Dax Flame
#5JackDaniels1964Posted 7/28/2013 8:49:27 AM
Using your theory, this might happen;
your winrate is absolutely 50%, your MMR eventually evens out so that wins and loses are equal value, while having 50% winrate, your match results will look like this
Win + 15 lp
Lose - 15lp
Win + 15lp
Lose - 15lp
Win + 15lp
Lose - 15lp
Then explain why people can rank up the system if MMR forces to 50% winrate, assuming you dont duo?
---
$ swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag $
$ swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag swag $
#6Black_AssassinPosted 7/28/2013 8:50:13 AM
Daily dose:
http://i.imgur.com/Hs8Y1vQ.png
---
lowercase
#7MlREFOXPosted 7/28/2013 8:53:31 AM
This is how elo works. Even in chess it is designed around a 50% w/l probability. This is nothing new, nor is it anything devious.
#8AC_DragonfirePosted 7/28/2013 8:55:06 AM
Happens in aram as well. Won like 10 arams in a row. Then later on lost like 5-6 in a row. I mean my team just got clobbered each time. Even had one of those people that play on their "friends" account and just feed like no tomorrow cuz he says "I have no idea what I'm doing"
#9natchu96Posted 7/28/2013 8:56:56 AM
MlREFOX posted...
This is how elo works. Even in chess it is designed around a 50% w/l probability. This is nothing new, nor is it anything devious.

Only way past it is to be truly so good that you can't actually lose.

Or to push yourself as far up as possible in the ladder before you level out, I guess.
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena
#10superh(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 8:59:33 AM
JackDaniels1964 posted...
Using your theory, this might happen;
your winrate is absolutely 50%, your MMR eventually evens out so that wins and loses are equal value, while having 50% winrate, your match results will look like this
Win + 15 lp
Lose - 15lp
Win + 15lp
Lose - 15lp
Win + 15lp
Lose - 15lp
Then explain why people can rank up the system if MMR forces to 50% winrate, assuming you dont duo?

because you are better than your opponents and good enough to carry your team mates of decreasing skill until you get to a point where you are forced to lose. You then go on a lose streak to try being you down. After the streak is over you may go on another win streak and climb higher.

The matchmaking doesn't like it when you climb to fast. It wants it to be slow and over a longer period of time. It's problematic having somebody with a 80% win ratio in matchmaking. It doesn't have any place to put them. So it forces a 50%(or close to).

It is far worse in normals, but ranked still has this issue too.
---
-Dax Flame