Explain the LCS format and world championships to me

#1nomorePosted 8/16/2013 1:40:22 PM
As far as I understand it, the top 6 from the LCS summer split have a tournament to knock this down to 3.
These 3 go to the world championships.

If thats the case, Cloud 9, despite smashing this summer split can theoretically not make it to worlds? So do they have any benefit to actually winning?
TSM get nothing for winning the spring split?

Bottom 2 are kicked out of LCS next season?
But top 6 are all safe?
#2infinitexxPosted 8/16/2013 2:14:33 PM
nomore posted...
If thats the case, Cloud 9, despite smashing this summer split can theoretically not make it to worlds? So do they have any benefit to actually winning?

Money is generally considered something of a beneficial nature.
---
You can't make an omelette without crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning.
#3SoraikuPosted 8/16/2013 2:16:52 PM
Really dreading thinking of Cloud 9 not making it to worlds.
#4darkwing1232Posted 8/16/2013 2:18:06 PM
nomore posted...
As far as I understand it, the top 6 from the LCS summer split have a tournament to knock this down to 3.
These 3 go to the world championships.

Bottom 2 are kicked out of LCS next season?
But top 6 are all safe?

TSM won 50k for 2 months worth of "work" and that was just prize money. Doesn't include sponsorship salary, endorsements for being 1st... ect
#5ArwenTinuvielPosted 8/16/2013 2:18:20 PM
If I remember correctly top 2 gets an easier time at the playoffs. 3rd place will play against 6th, and the winner will play against 2nd place. 4th place will play against the 5th, and the winner will play the 1st place.
---
http://arwentinuviel.deviantart.com/
#6darkwing1232Posted 8/16/2013 2:20:01 PM
ArwenTinuviel posted...
If I remember correctly top 2 gets an easier time at the playoffs. 3rd place will play against 6th, and the winner will play against 2nd place. 4th place will play against the 5th, and the winner will play the 1st place.

1st and 2nd place get a bye and therefore only need to win 1match and they are guaranteed to go to worlds as opposed to the rest that have to win at least 2.