Any advice for a new Riven player?

#1_Xymemaru_VPosted 8/24/2013 11:29:12 PM
I picked her up for a new top lane champ since I only have kayle and Irelia. But I seem to have bad luck since every champ I go up against just destroys me

Kennen, Garen, Nid, and gangplank. If I get close to CS I get auto'd by Ken, Nid, and Gang. Garen just sliences and spins

I'm not sure if those are her normal counter pics or if i'm just playing her wrong. I'm never really good with harass since i can't seem to tell when i should do it and when i should not. should i always be harassing with Riven or what?

Item build advice is also requested
---
Month of Mei
http://i.imgur.com/XeRZZnw.jpg http://i.imgur.com/FzRt947.jpg http://i.imgur.com/rbwCdlh.jpg http://i.imgur.com/8HY5Bs5.jpg
#2HyroglyphixsPosted 8/24/2013 11:35:56 PM
Riven is a big all in champ. You need to fully commit at early levels (best level 3 in the game) and you can easily snowball if you get an early kill. If you try and play passive you will out-traded.

I like to rush brutalizer when I play Riven.
#3awwwSNAPPosted 8/25/2013 12:03:20 AM
_Xymemaru_V posted...
I picked her up for a new top lane champ since I only have kayle and Irelia. But I seem to have bad luck since every champ I go up against just destroys me

Kennen, Garen, Nid, and gangplank. If I get close to CS I get auto'd by Ken, Nid, and Gang. Garen just sliences and spins

I'm not sure if those are her normal counter pics or if i'm just playing her wrong. I'm never really good with harass since i can't seem to tell when i should do it and when i should not. should i always be harassing with Riven or what?

Item build advice is also requested

Ranged poke is rough on Riven and Garen is one of her absolute hardest counters. Gangplank doesn't have ranged autos - his q is on a really low cd though. Against gp you may want to max shield first so you can just hit e whenever he shoots at you. Definitely start cloth/5 against him and Pantheon. Kennen is also a really hard lane for her because he has infinite free ranged poke and ranged stuns. Nidalee is manageable early - before she gets cougar form if you can dash, stun, and q-aa-q-aa-q-aa her you'll chunk off more than half her hp. Try sticking to the bushes. After she gets 6 she's basically uncatchable though and she'll just run whenever you try to trade.

As for Garen, you can beat him early if you can bait out his silence. Wait til he hits it and starts charging you, then run away. Your stun-q combo will out trade him as long as he doesn't silence you. If you're not silenced, you can just q-aa-q-aa-q-aa through his spin and provided you have armor runes you should be fine.

I start cloth/5 on Riven against almost all ad matchups - especially against ranged poke or Garen. Against lanes you can bully you could probably get away with long sword/2 pots. You can also go rejuvenation bead/ward/pots if you're gonna be trading a lot - the regen really helps.

That said, Riven is a monster very early, and she snowballs really hard. Her level 1 is outrageously strong, and her level 3 is maybe the best in the game. Against most AD tops you can play very aggressive early and if you use her passive well you'll come out on top of trades. Once you get a feel for her, you can start red elixir and just all-in early and usually come out with a kill - if you can harass them down to 70% you can generally get a kill with a w-aa-q-aa-q-aa-q-aa combo. If you don't kill, they WILL burn flash, in which case you can rinse and repeat when they come back and you've farmed yourself a level ahead.

Items-wise, I almost always get a vamp scepter first. If you get a really early kill you could get a Dorans. The other big option is brutalizer first. Boxbox, one of the best Riven players anywhere, has been rushing Youmuu's Ghostblade on her for a while now. I generally go vamp-BT-last whisper or brutalizer, depending, and then pick up the other one. AD and armor pen are great on Riven. Apparently max CDR is good too, but boxbox is way better than me so he makes much better use of it than I do.
#4OwlRammerPosted 8/25/2013 12:18:23 AM
if you find a melee lane you are losing, you may want to put more points into your stun then dash in, stun them, AA, then Q out and repeat forever.
---
http://imgur.com/L4u8jt9
#5Village IdiotPosted 8/25/2013 1:10:39 AM
Early on, depending on how the lane is going, don't rush completed items but rather buy components.

Rushing a couple Doran's Blades and Long Swords in the early game rather than rushing a Vampire Scepter have a massive impact since every point of AD essentially buffs your entire kit.
---
Actually, since Wedge Antilles > Carriers, and Carriers = Instant win, then it should be Wedge Antilles > Instant win. He's just that good XD -PsionicDude
#6LithspPosted 8/25/2013 1:48:42 AM
Balls deep or go home. Riven can only be played one way and that is extremely aggressive. If you don't play her this way, you might as well play someone else because she's hopeless otherwise.

Oh and don't lane VS Quinn you'll get messed up hard.
---
[]Signature[]
#7MechDragon07Posted 8/25/2013 1:50:20 AM
Name yourself BattleBewtyRiven, and get the battle bunny riven skin.
---
iTrundle