Can someone explain the season changes to me ?

#1Keybored123Posted 9/19/2013 10:52:59 AM
New to LoL so I dont know how this works. Basically at the end of the year there is some massive patch that completely changes the game ? Does it all just happen one day and then the game is totally different ?
#2scaler24Posted 9/19/2013 11:05:21 AM
Also, concerning the topic, will my rank reset with the Season change? Will my MMR reset aswell?
---
The Official Herr Edgeworth of the Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies Board
PSN: Scaler24 UMvC3 Team: Zero/Wright/Ammy
#3aegisisPosted 9/19/2013 11:08:15 AM
changes in the next season is like any other patch, and your elo resets, your mmr don't
#4Keybored123(Topic Creator)Posted 9/19/2013 11:12:10 AM
aegisis posted...
changes in the next season is like any other patch, and your elo resets, your mmr don't

except for the fact that it is almost guaranteed to be a massive game changing patch correct ?
#5eco masterPosted 9/19/2013 11:16:02 AM(edited)
aegisis posted...

Elo rating is this game's MMR. They're the same thing.

scaler24 posted...
Also, concerning the topic, will my rank reset with the Season change? Will my MMR reset aswell?

Your rank will be cleared, and I believe last season players had to complete one or three placement matches. MMR was "slightly adjusted" to a median value last season, but wasn't changed much. Past your rank being cleared, there's no way to know what will happen this upcoming season until further notice.

Keybored123 posted...
New to LoL so I dont know how this works. Basically at the end of the year there is some massive patch that completely changes the game ? Does it all just happen one day and then the game is totally different ?

The game doesn't completely change, but changes that would normally be deemed too major to implement mid-season will go through in a series of pre-season patches. Expect to see new items, reworked items, disappearance of items, new masteries, and other such changes that may slightly shift what is considered "standard play" today.
---
ill be here 4 u eco jus lyk the mop on the commercial babby-wechina23
fighting games suck-bluerain
#6SteelySchuelPosted 9/19/2013 11:18:49 AM
I just want harder difficulty AI bots >.>

I love playing PVP, but sometimes I want to just play against some bots. Beginner and Intermediate don't always do it for me though.
---
PSN/League: SteelySchuel
~Staying swelly~
#7SeaIntoTheSkyPosted 9/19/2013 11:19:10 AM
Keybored123 posted...
So far between seasons there have been drastic changes to the game. The changes mainly focus on changing the meta game and not game mechanics. The changes may be to the monsters stats, spawn rates, map layout, or item changes. These changes have typically occurred in the preseason and do not happen all at once but over a set of multiple patches to tweak the numbers. The preseason patches are far more extensive compared to later in the season.

scaler24 posted...
All ranks reset at the end of each season. However from season 2 to 3 there was a soft reset. This means that your starting MMR is close to an average of the default starting MMR and your current MMR which will be your new starting point in season 3. It is unconfirmed if there is a soft reset going into the new season.

Example: The bronze starting MMR is roughly 1200, let's say you got to Platinum 1850. (1850+1200)/2 = 1525. 1525 is your new starting MMR

You will be placed near the bottom of the Gold tier after playing a ranked game in the new season. Note that the formula is a general one and the actual MMR you get is a little lower(No one knows the exact method Riot uses to calculate your new start). There is also a cap that limits the MMR you can achieve which I believe was 1600. So even if your calculated average is above 1600 you get capped.

Hope this helps^^
#8FlameLord23Posted 9/19/2013 11:22:16 AM
eco master posted...
scaler24 posted...

Your rank will be cleared, and I believe last season players had to complete one or three placement matches. MMR was "slightly adjusted" to a median value last season, but wasn't changed much. Past your rank being cleared, there's no way to know what will happen this upcoming season until further notice.

Should be another 10 placements each season

eco master posted...
Keybored123 posted...

The game doesn't completely change, but changes that would normally be deemed too major to implement mid-season will go through in a series of pre-season patches. Expect to see new items, reworked items, disappearance of items, new masteries, and other such changes that may slightly shift what is considered "standard play" today.

I would expect a champion or two to be reworked as well (looking at you Olaf/Rengar/Yorick/Jayce). They've been talking about all these reworks and it would be a great time to release them, and they've been saying they will take place "after worlds". Maybe another champion with that patch as well, but probably not with all the changes that happen anyway.
---
It was Allen's wife!
LoL/Steam IGN: I Rock Ths