The problem with new Skarner...

#1neon screenPosted 10/22/2013 7:22:40 AM
...is that his Q and E don't synergize at all.

Originally Q was already a ramp-up skill, with the slow and bonus damage proccing only on the 2nd hit. Now with the AS bonus it's even more so, and you need not 2 but 3 Q's to reach max potential.

Now that wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't changed the way his slow works. It's now a 2.5s burst slow, which isn't nearly enough time for Skarner to get off 2, let alone 3 Q's onto the enemy.

So Skarner is stuck with a hilariously long ramp-up skill with no way of actually sticking long enough to the enemy for that ramp-up to happen. He's now more dependent on his ult than ever.

Anyway that's my experience with new Skarner. Skarner rework discussion I guess
#2TekutsoPosted 10/22/2013 7:31:36 AM
I was a skarner main back in S2 when he was released. Yes, I mained him from release, when he was considered trash.

Taking away his perma slow on Q really sucks. It was one of my favorite things about him. That being said, every champion released since him has a jump. Its so hard to get somebody in that Q now, and that's why hes fallen out of flavor. Its sad to see it go but these changes are a step in the right direction. Numbers will be tweaked.
---
Don Mattrick and co. XBONED me so now I'm on a Cerny Journey to BASED SONY to beg forgiveness from LORD Jack Tretton
#3lightdragoon88Posted 10/22/2013 7:33:26 AM
It another reason why iceborn is good on Skarner.

It allows him to have the permaslow now while his Q gives him that AS boost.
---
My favorite League of Legend Champion: http://i.imgur.com/xx0hSNV.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q7BrWKG.png
#4FlareZeroPosted 10/22/2013 7:36:14 AM(edited)
Yeah, Riot is having difficulties with reworks. What's the problem? Make E a better skill to use with some sort of synergy to his kit. Other side of the coin? People hate having Skarner permastick to them.
---
You like it or you don't, but i hate people saying it's 'an acquired taste." That's just a cop out. - bookwormbabe29 on beer.
#5FreshSushiPosted 10/22/2013 7:42:56 AM
The problem with new Skarner is they "reworked" him rather than just rolling back nerfs.
---
I play Gouken, Chogath, Renekton, Teemo, Nasus, Morde
Top 5: RE4, Dark Souls, Pokemon Yellow, MMBN3, Cave Story
#6supershadonicPosted 10/22/2013 8:11:59 AM
Is it just me or is every rework a hidden nerf?

First Sejuani, I will simply not accept the aoe dmg change no matter how many stuns people talk about.

Then the new Sivir, No mana costs for E and R but no W base damage :(. Pre 6 gaint damage nerf.

Now Skarner, no slow on Q
#7neon screen(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2013 11:55:24 AM
I don't really get the hate for permaslow, they should not have changed that part. New Skarner is looking like a shadow of its former S2 glory.

One thing I'd like to see is to make the AS ramp nonlinear. So instead of just increasing by flat % every Q, he should gain at least half the AS bonus on the first Q, then a quarter for subsequent Q's.
#8Soviet_PolandPosted 10/22/2013 12:15:00 PM
I don't know how to feel about his changes. I've yet to test them (Are they live yet or just PBE?).

Skarner was one of my strongest junglers. People really underestimate how potent that permaslow was. It was very easy to create a front line of sorts. Any bruiser that attempted to get by would be permaslowed, and they were ridiculously easy to kite. If they somehow managed to break free, I still had my ult as a guaranteed reposition. His damage output was consistently large. It wasn't bursy, but my DPS was usually the second highest on a team, highest if I carried with an early lead. If anyone got caught away from their team, it took me longer to kill someone, but the kills were more consistent because they couldn't get away. Any CC on me could be met with me using W to catch back up and continue the perma slow.

I look at these changes and realize I can't quite play the tanky/spammy permaslow tank anymore. IBG will easily be part of my core now, and maybe the changes to E will make it so ranged slows might help me catch a few stragglers. Though I typically maxed out Q and W before getting E, leading me to have a powerful Q and shield early game.

I'm curious to see how it'll play out. I think his build might need to be a bit tweaked. I think he'll still have his potential, but he won't play the same.
#9SorrySleepingPosted 10/22/2013 12:26:05 PM
Skarner's permastick was holding back the rest of his kit.
---
~{Always Goomy}~
http://i.imgur.com/m0KMWke.gif http://i.imgur.com/DkQGJHS.gif
#10AlmightyHamSandwichPosted 10/22/2013 12:50:12 PM(edited)
neon screen posted...
So Skarner is stuck with a hilariously long ramp-up skill with no way of actually sticking long enough to the enemy for that ramp-up to happen. He's now more dependent on his ult than ever.

Stop playing him like old Skarner. You're whining about how he's not like his old self instead of adapting to it and finding a new way to play. He's more reliant on his amazingly effective Ult? Use his new insanely great movement speed steroid and abuse the free Blitz grab to win teamfights. He can't stick to enemies as well? Buy Iceborn Gauntlet, which you should be doing anyway, then enjoy having a ranged slow AND close range permaslow. Having trouble ganking pre-6? Spend more time clearing the jungle or lane taxing and putting that new attack speed to good use.

Adapt. Use him like Hecarim, punishing enemy all-ins and ganks with great counters and supporting ally all-ins and teamfights with lockdown and peeling. You're not a slow bot anymore, you're going to have to think.
---
Miami Heat: 2012 NBA Champions | 2013 NBA Champions. | The Threepeat is next.
A TWSSted bastard.