How do I play Sona this season?

#1MaximumPenaltyPosted 11/30/2013 3:40:27 AM
I loved playing Sona before, but so far games as her have been some of the least fun I've had in league. All of the S4 changes leading to the domination of tanky/all-in bot lanes have made me feel utterly useless in lane. I've tried a few different builds, but none just seem to work out for me. So I ask you successful S4 Sona players, how do you build and play her?
---
http://i7.minus.com/iAi97aTrYUXuG.png
#2LChaos2Posted 11/30/2013 7:02:37 AM(edited)
Hybrid Pen Reds, Armor Yellows, flat AP blues and quints.

This improves your sustain and poke for early game while transitioning somewhat well into later game.

After your core (Sightstone, Boots 2 of choice, Gold Income 3 of choice), you may want Lich Bane.

Even after you starting building lots of AP, your main goal is to peel for your adc.
---
YGOPro - DevPro server: http://devpro.org/
http://www.youtube.com/LChaos2
#3DarkemastePosted 11/30/2013 1:08:30 PM
If you can't beat them, join them. :I

(build tanky, rather than "moar damage")
---
Common sense seems more uncommon. http://i.imgur.com/1dxrJ0T.jpg
#4Chargers_31Posted 11/30/2013 1:33:43 PM(edited)
I haven't played Sona this season, but I feel like she's worthless if you build AP (compared to someone like Annie or Zyra who can actually output damage).

I would probably go tanky CDR and have Spirit Visage/Frozen Heart as core items. I would even throw IBG in there, even though the extra CDR is overkill. Extra mana and tankiness is great, and you'll be able to proc the passive as often as you want with Sona. Plus, it will give you more utility with the slow passive.

Something like:

Merc treads
Sightstone
The thing the ancient coin upgrades to
Frozen heart
Spirit Visage
IBG
#5fallen_acolytePosted 11/30/2013 1:41:03 PM
Yeah I think traditional supports should just go as offtanks. Sona may be awkward due to her being top 5 squishiest champ, but the amount of pressure she can provide and utility may still make her a viable pick.

That being siad, leona is being picked a lot do to her in your face tanky playstayle so always keep that in mind
---
()___(_______()~~
PSN: Fallen_Acolyte Xbox: Fallen Acolyte
#6CarbonightsPosted 11/30/2013 2:08:06 PM
AP, no questions.

Your team will appreciate you when you can chunk 1000 health off a tower in one AA.
---
IGN (probably): Carbonights
#7the_rowanPosted 11/30/2013 2:23:37 PM(edited)
Chargers_31 posted...
I haven't played Sona this season, but I feel like she's worthless if you build AP (compared to someone like Annie or Zyra who can actually output damage).

I would probably go tanky CDR and have Spirit Visage/Frozen Heart as core items. I would even throw IBG in there, even though the extra CDR is overkill. Extra mana and tankiness is great, and you'll be able to proc the passive as often as you want with Sona. Plus, it will give you more utility with the slow passive.

Something like:

Merc treads
Sightstone
Frozen heart
Spirit Visage
IBG

Good old 75% CDR builds. Seriously, Frozen Heart is not a great item on her at all. She'll never be anywhere near their ADC after laning. Get some AP for your heal, ult and E--the scalings aren't great, but their support is going to be scaling hard too. But yeah, Talisman of Ascension is actually pretty much core for her--it gives pretty much the best team sustain you could ask for in an item after Athene's, and if you pop the active as you ult good things will happen.
---
"That is why war is so tragic. To win means to make victims of your opponents and give birth to hatred." - Kratos Aurion, Tales of Symphonia
#8Chargers_31Posted 11/30/2013 2:20:02 PM
the_rowan posted...
Chargers_31 posted...

Something like:

Merc treads
Sightstone
Frozen heart
Spirit Visage
IBG

Good old 75% CDR builds.

I forgot the coin thing gave CDR so definitely swap frozen heart for Randuins.