How do you get better with a new champion?

#1Maxo996Posted 12/7/2013 7:59:46 AM
I'm fairly new to the game and as such I'm unlocking the first two tiers (450 and 1350 ip) champs so all said I will have about 30 champions by the time I hit summoner level 30. So far I have tended to stay away from the free champion rotations and just mainly tried to focus on playing with the ones I own so I can get better at them. I'm wondering once I hit ranked how many champions should I feel really comfortable with before I dive into it and also, how do you suggest someone learns to become 'good enough' with any given champion before they get into ranked play? So far I've played bots until 20 then I switched over to Normal-Blind. Thanks.
---
Hi. How ya' doin'?
#2natchu96Posted 12/7/2013 8:07:04 AM
Bots are morons and make terrible practice targets except to test skills on a new champ with. Play against humans, eventually you should improve.

Generally you want around two champs per role you are comfortable with, it seems the consensus is. Don't just go with the popularity spikes and "omg X is OP!!!!!1" champs, especially if you just can't get the playstyle to work for you. Often these champs get popular because some pro or diamond streamer (or Korean) starts using them to stomp before it was even cool.

Free rotations are good ways to figure out if you like a champ before you buy them, I would suggest you play everyone that interests you at least once in normals. You never know.

You should probably start saving up for runes . . . or hold off until they overhaul them a tad for S4. Your rank gets soft reset anyway, might as well wait until January. Ranked is when you stop having fun, tbh. People are way too serious sometimes and tend to rage.
---
"Luna, I'm afraid he's right. You can't go around calling people that, even if in this case it appears to be the truth." - Sena on a certain pedophile
#3DeanyzyPosted 12/7/2013 8:08:42 AM
The best way to get better is to simply keep playing against other players. Practice makes perfect..
---
FC: 2277 6869 7396
Dragon Safari: Dragonair, Fraxure, ???
#4Burn-the-lightPosted 12/7/2013 8:14:25 AM
natchu96 posted...
Free rotations are good ways to figure out if you like a champ before you buy them, I would suggest you play everyone that interests you at least once in normals. You never know.

Also playing champions on free rotation allows you to familiarize yourself with their kits. Even if you don't like the champ, knowing their kits will help you play against them and make you a better player when using your other champions.
---
We walk toward desire, hand in hand through fields of fire, with only love to light the way, on the road to judgement day.
#5Bano360Posted 12/7/2013 8:37:45 AM
Play normals at lv 7-10-ish. I find there are too many smurfs at lower levels.
#6ExalxPosted 12/7/2013 8:47:47 AM
Get runes
---
Monster Hunter Tri: Exalx (2ZFG9Y) HR:130+
#7LChaos2Posted 12/7/2013 8:51:00 AM
Play bot games to get a handle on skill combos and muscle memory.

Then play normals to get a handle on practical experience and strategy with that champion.
---
YGOPro - DevPro server: http://devpro.org/
http://www.youtube.com/LChaos2
#8Nasada19Posted 12/7/2013 8:59:06 AM
I really don't suggest just buying all cheap champs just because they're cheap. Try out the champs that are free to see if you like them. Like there is no point in saving up 1350IP for Sion if you play him and hate his kit and everything about him.

I think it's better to try all the champs you possibly can (even if it's just a quick custom game with just you and a bot). Like way back when I tried out Riven and loved playing her. So I saved up 6300IP just to buy her and have been maining her. Gotta find the champs that fit you. Looking at youtube will probably help too.
---
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.