Why is there a 30 second delay on twitch?

#11Cpt_Cracker(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 8:04:09 PM
Ugh, if ghosting is such an issue for Twitch management, why didn't the leave the delay optional. Why did they force it on EVERYONE?
#12Raging FirePosted 2/10/2014 8:08:43 PM(edited)
Don't think it's for ghosting reasons. The mandatory 30 second delay started about a month ago with Twitch's infrastructure update. Helped large partners; hurt small streamers.

Edit: Also pretty sure streamers worried about ghosting could manually set a delay before anyway.
#13ClairvoyentPosted 2/10/2014 8:21:00 PM
Cpt_Cracker posted...
Regarding ghosting, I'm trying to watch my friend and give him on the spot tips and stuff since he's new to the game. Back in the day, Hotshot was ghosted 24/7 and he still won a ton of games.

I don't think its adjustable. The 30 second delay might be mandatory. We couldn't find the option to turn it of at least.

go to his house
#14Cpt_Cracker(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 8:36:16 PM
Clairvoyent posted...
Cpt_Cracker posted...
Regarding ghosting, I'm trying to watch my friend and give him on the spot tips and stuff since he's new to the game. Back in the day, Hotshot was ghosted 24/7 and he still won a ton of games.

I don't think its adjustable. The 30 second delay might be mandatory. We couldn't find the option to turn it of at least.

go to his house

He lives a few states away.
#15Cpt_Cracker(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2014 8:36:53 PM
Raging Fire posted...
Don't think it's for ghosting reasons. The mandatory 30 second delay started about a month ago with Twitch's infrastructure update. Helped large partners; hurt small streamers.

Edit: Also pretty sure streamers worried about ghosting could manually set a delay before anyway.

Does Twitch plan on fixing this anytime soon?
#16Raging FirePosted 2/10/2014 11:10:07 PM
Cpt_Cracker posted...
Raging Fire posted...

Does Twitch plan on fixing this anytime soon?

Soon™

Also, abbreviated timestamps lied to me. Update went out in mid-December.
#17prindoPosted 2/10/2014 11:21:22 PM
Not sure where you guys are getting the idea that the Twitch delay is to prevent ghosting, sure you can't ghost exact positions but you're still going to be able to ghost Ward placements, Dragons, barons, jungle paths, etc. Even before the twitch delay popular streamers would stream with no delay because it helped them interact with their viewers easier.

Twitch has a delay because they changed how their hardware handles streaming. The new increases server stability, which no change to the physical hardware, at the cost of the delay.
---
# of STP's-6
#18supercoolisaacPosted 2/10/2014 11:52:22 PM
It has absolutely nothing to do with ghosting
---
All I ever wanted was to be the best.
#19justchill433Posted 2/11/2014 12:35:37 AM
try teamviewer plus skype or something
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#20AgentRebornPosted 2/11/2014 12:55:43 AM