serious question: why are marksmen a thing?

#1oberoncasterPosted 2/16/2014 4:54:39 PM
I've been playing for a good two weeks now and it seems like the best strategy is to just pick five fighters and destroy the enemy team

whats the logic?
#2GainazzoPosted 2/16/2014 4:57:10 PM
Late game damage and taking down turrets.
#3justchill433Posted 2/16/2014 4:57:22 PM
Marksmen are ranged, have the most DPS, and are the best turret takers. Besides, diversity is always better.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#4Dark Young LinkPosted 2/16/2014 4:57:43 PM
What's the logic in having characters that have high attack and low defense?

Beats me
---
I'm not at liberty to discuss things involving random users I've never heard of. Sorry . :) - Allen's wife, speaking about Luster
3DS FC : 3926-5549-8616
#5Maniacaly_SanePosted 2/16/2014 4:59:01 PM
Take down structures faster
Higher DPS
Ranged ergo safer

The theories go. If you can peel for your Marksman then they will beat on a full team of fighters.
---
"the point of war is not to die for your country, on the contrary, it's to make the other poor bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
#6BhelliumPosted 2/16/2014 5:00:32 PM
five bruisers can indeed trash a traditional comp, but it's tough to really get working at higher level

When you're just starting, no one knows how to stutter, no one knows the ability ranges, and ADCs might as well have the shelf life of a fly.
---
There's nothing more amusing than an atheist that believes in free will. It's kind of cute to be honest, like wearing a sign saying "secret romantic"
#7oberoncaster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 5:00:53 PM
Maniacaly_Sane posted...
Higher DPS
Ranged ergo safer

The theories go. If you can peel for your Marksman then they will beat on a full team of fighters.

taking down structures faster doesn't matter if they surrender at 20
#8justchill433Posted 2/16/2014 5:05:36 PM
oberoncaster posted...
Maniacaly_Sane posted...
Higher DPS
Ranged ergo safer

You are playing low level. Watch the pros to see how a marksmen should play and watch how much damage they do. Besides, how are you even going to hit them or take their tower? They can just sit under their turret and farm.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#9oberoncaster(Topic Creator)Posted 2/16/2014 5:07:32 PM
justchill433 posted...
oberoncaster posted...
Maniacaly_Sane posted...
Higher DPS
Ranged ergo safer

You are playing low level. Watch the pros to see how a marksmen should play and watch how much damage they do. Besides, how are you even going to hit them or take their tower? They can just sit under their turret and farm.

actually i have been watching the LCS since I started playing and I noticed a lot of really low marksman scores

2-3-7 on doublift
2-4-5 yellowpete
2-3-5

I just dont get the point I guess
#10TaijouroukunPosted 2/16/2014 5:08:26 PM
teamwork.

you have tank, built to take damage, taking damage and marksmen position behind them, built to do damage, doing damage. with 5 fighters, you get poke down from range while you try to go all in. without great coordination and everyone going in together, you will just get kill one by one. because you have to build both damage and defense, you take more damage than a tank and do less damage than a marksmen. so you will get kill faster than you kill.

5 fighters only works against bad teams when everyone is out of position and things are chaotic.