Is it ever viable to buy thorn over say... flame cape?

#1Red_Badger_55Posted 2/20/2014 4:44:27 PM
It never seems to counter even a heavy ad team, even after a mogs or randuins. Am I doing this wrong or is mr debuff necessary with it?
#2VoidgolemPosted 2/20/2014 4:53:26 PM
If the enemy team is all autoattack reliant and don't have a lot of arpen...yeah, sometimes.

otherwise you're probably better off with the sunfire.
---
http://i.imgur.com/fXMuxQd.jpg
"Basically, Shu combines theoretical physics and magic to create awesome."
#3Chargers_31Posted 2/20/2014 4:55:20 PM
Thornmail is a terrible item unless you're facing a double ADC team and already have Randuins and Sunfire
#4justchill433Posted 2/20/2014 4:56:26 PM
It was core on Rammus, but they nerfed him into oblivion.
---
PSN: s1l3nt_x_cha0s GT: xziT4L3NTZx
*slips of cliff*
#5WUKONGMONKYKINGPosted 2/20/2014 6:28:00 PM
justchill433 posted...
It was core on Rammus, but they nerfed him into oblivion.

he was unkillable, a good rammus was so annoying.
#6monkey_man0Posted 2/20/2014 6:34:35 PM
Thornmail does deceptively high damage - if the enemy team has a lot of phyical damage and you have decent health level, it can be a good purchase. I would buy it over sunfire sometimes if it was a later purchase (if sunfire was your first item goal, thornmail is not a good alternative).
---
I own a computer!
#7tweakerlimePosted 2/20/2014 6:43:16 PM
Im glad to see this topic because I have been using alot of thornmail lately on sejuani. it has become my first big armor item in almost all my games lately as her. You would think RO would be the wise choice because of her health scaling, but for whatever reason, im seeing better results with thornmail. My guess is because when building full tank sej, she lacks dmg, and thornmail gives her some dmg while remaining tanky as heck. I love combining it with sunfire, but thornmail seems to be working better for me as a first armor item over sunfire.
---
xbox live gt: Tweekerlime
#8Chaotic WarriorPosted 2/20/2014 6:46:21 PM
Rammus is still very usable, just a 2 second taunt over 3 seconds hurts badly. Thornmail works on certain champs but it should NEVER be a first or second bought item. And there are times where sunfire will always be better, but other times where the thornmail will be better. Most case and point would be on a singed.
---
Time and time shall meet again as the threads of destiny entwine... but what if such destiny can be changed? If destiny itself was incorrect?
#9g-cube_mastaPosted 2/20/2014 6:47:40 PM
The negative stigma against thornmail is way too high and most of it's unwarranted.

Thornmail is legit.
---
http://i.imgur.com/sNW9yoI.jpg
#10dotsdfePosted 2/20/2014 6:52:22 PM
If they have a fed ADC + fed Fiora/Yi/Trynd/Yasuo, then Thornmail is an okay choice.
---
Winner of the Third Hacked User Contest.
World's #1 Phoenix Wright fan.