Lore-wise: What exactly is a summoner?

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Lore-wise: What exactly is a summoner?
1 year ago#1
So with the recent dev blog, it seems like they are changing the lore and do away the summoners (aka those old men looking in the orbs). It made me think though, what exactly is the role of the summoner, lore wise?

I tried to read up on the lore of LoL really quick but it seems very vague.

- Do they control the champions in Summoner's Rift as if they were puppets? With the champions have no control of their movements at all?

- Or do they simply tell them what to do? Like telling Poppy to make a joke, "Jokes? I don't know any jokes." Or telling Malphite to go from point A to point B, "I'm going as fast as I can."

I know in the first cinematic (with Morgana and Kayle) when Kayle got hurt, the summoner got hurt too. So it's implied they are connected. Which makes sense when Sona says, "Only you can hear me summoner, what masterpiece shall we play today?"

Or do summoners simply guide them? Like telling Malphite to go to the bush and wait for my signal to gank the enemy's team. Or tell the champions to use certain abilities.

I'm bored so I'm sure I'm over-thinking this. But yeah...
1 year ago#2
According to the JoJ (which is technically supposed to be Word of God, but dear god rito wants to burn it to ashes), the Summoners are highly skilled mages who share telepathic connections with the given champion. They "share minds" and become one unique individual, which explains

1) Why champions relearn their abilities every game.
2) Why death timers increase (you become more synchronized with your given champion as you gain experience, which means that your champion dying causes a greater mental trauma and a longer time to recover).
3) Why summoner skills exist (a product of summoner magic).

Minions are controlled by lesser summoners. Summoners who bond with champions are usually talented, professional mages to control the actions of a champion. To paraphrase the JoJ, a champion and a summoner sharing one mind is "one unique individual in itself"

Which is why one Vayne is good and the other Vayne is terrible.

Of course, I bet Riot probably doesn't remember any of this. >_>;
---
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^
Waiting patiently for the Marisa Kirisame Lux skin~.
1 year ago#3
Interesting, that's one way of thinking about it. I'm intrigued now, I will have to dig deeper into the lore.

Now, if, for example, a team of summoners summons someone like Kayle and Morgana, but outside of Summoner's Rift, they both hate each other. Is the summoners telling them it's ok for this match to play teamwork? Or do they not remember their personal hatred as long as their minds are connected to the summoner?
1 year ago#4
It's partly "Work together god damn it" and "You literally cannot hurt them no matter how hard you try, suck it up" IIRC. The champions still retain their own personalities and whatnot, but the summoner is a voice in their head telling them what to do and with the ability to force them to do the actions they want if need be.
---
I laugh as I watch people ignore the past, lie about the present, and misrepresent the future.
1 year ago#5
Pale_Heart posted...
Now, if, for example, a team of summoners summons someone like Kayle and Morgana, but outside of Summoner's Rift, they both hate each other. Is the summoners telling them it's ok for this match to play teamwork? Or do they not remember their personal hatred as long as their minds are connected to the summoner?

Remember what I said:

"To paraphrase the JoJ, a champion and a summoner sharing one mind is 'one unique individual in itself'."

Which is essentially another way of saying that even if you somehow get a team with, say, Jarvan and Swain or Nasus and Renekton, the summoner's influence will prevent them from killing each other.

... Otherwise, half of League would be interteamfights.
---
This sig will self-destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie? ^_^
1 year ago#6
ThunderCavalier posted...
Pale_Heart posted...

Remember what I said:

"To paraphrase the JoJ, a champion and a summoner sharing one mind is 'one unique individual in itself'."

Which is essentially another way of saying that even if you somehow get a team with, say, Jarvan and Swain or Nasus and Renekton, the summoner's influence will prevent them from killing each other.

... Otherwise, half of League would be interteamfights.

Half of League already is interteamfight. You should know this already, Happyscrub.
---
Dihydrogen Monoxide is a colorless, odorless substance that makes up many deadly substances and can be lethal to humans in quantities as small as a thimbleful.
1 year ago#7
MehicTUH_92 posted...
Half of League already is interteamfight. You should know this already, Happyscrub.

Sod off.
---
1 year ago#8
Also a summoner can pull an alternate time line version of the champion, if the main one is indisposed. That way they don't directly interfere with the lives of certain champs if it would be a detriment to do so.

Which was how they explained skins. At some point way back when.
---
If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.
-Jesus Christ-
1 year ago#9
ThunderCavalier posted...
According to the JoJ (which is technically supposed to be Word of God, but dear god rito wants to burn it to ashes), the Summoners are highly skilled mages who share telepathic connections with the given champion. They "share minds" and become one unique individual, which explains

1) Why champions relearn their abilities every game.
2) Why death timers increase (you become more synchronized with your given champion as you gain experience, which means that your champion dying causes a greater mental trauma and a longer time to recover).
3) Why summoner skills exist (a product of summoner magic).

Minions are controlled by lesser summoners. Summoners who bond with champions are usually talented, professional mages to control the actions of a champion. To paraphrase the JoJ, a champion and a summoner sharing one mind is "one unique individual in itself"

Which is why one Vayne is good and the other Vayne is terrible.

Of course, I bet Riot probably doesn't remember any of this. >_>;

It also explains why you can hear a mute champion talk to you.

"Only you can hear me summoner"

I wasn't around JoJ, but I remember understanding the concept of it at some point.
---
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h435/Tmaster148/crow.png
1 year ago#10
SeizureGoat posted...
Also a summoner can pull an alternate time line version of the champion, if the main one is indisposed. That way they don't directly interfere with the lives of certain champs if it would be a detriment to do so.

Which was how they explained skins. At some point way back when.

... Based on this alone, I demand a featured game mode where Jayce leads a team of champions against Creator Viktor and his group of Battlecast Champions.
---
  1. Boards
  2. League of Legends
  3. Lore-wise: What exactly is a summoner?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived