I just finished the campaign. It was terrible. (major spoilers)

#1AnagramPosted 3/14/2013 11:19:13 PM
tl;dr this game is a crime and an insult to Starcraft 1

The gameplay and missions of the campaign are excellent and do a very good job of displaying how you are supposed to play. I refer specifically to the story, characters, and dialogue.

I will admit that everyone must have a different standard for dialogue, and I did not come into HotS expecting Shakespeare, but this game's dialogue is so awful it makes WoL's look very much like Shakespeare. You are constantly getting lines like "If you die, you're in big trouble," and "I feel your hate burning like a star." It's not unserviceable, but it is absolutely awful.

But the real crime of this game is the characters.

Kerrigan
tl;dr Kerrigan is turned into a straight-up hero so that the zerg will be sympathetic instead of being ravenous space monsters.

Kerrigan isn't just awful in this game, that would be one thing, she's not Kerrigan. Let me explain this: the half of WoL that wasn't filler missions about Tosh and Haven was about saving Kerrigan, and she spends the beginning of this game going back to being infested (by the way, if the infestation was designed by Abathur, why does the primordial zerg pool make her look nearly identical to Abathur's design?). What's the point of this? The only result is that Kerrigan is no longer the Queen of Blades (they even make her forget being her) but still controls the entire Swarm (by the way, you fight exactly one group of non-Primal zerg in the entire game, who then just rejoin you). So basically, my point here is that the only reason WoL exists (besides to make money) is to make Kerrigan sympathetic by making her not responsible for killing millions of innocent people. That's it. WoL serves no other purpose. The entire game exists to make Kerrigan not the same character people liked from SC1 and BW. So to this, I can only ask one question: Why? We know you can have a zerg campaign where you're the bad guy because we already had two such campaigns. I won't go into why BW Kerrigan was so much better than this mockery, but BW Kerrigan states, many times, that she's in full control of herself and just likes being evil, and they retconned that for this. Sure, you can say it's not a real retcon because Kerrigan was infested when she said that so it doesn't count, but the ultimate point is that they killed BW Kerrigan for Crazy Revenge Girlfriend Kerrigan solely to make her more sympathetic and for no other reason. And I mean it - make no mistakes. This is a Kerrigan who goes out of her way not to hurt civilians to a point where it jeopardizes her plans and consciously commands the Swarm not to kill fleeing enemies, who orders Abathur not to experiment on humans. She does exactly one morally questionable act during the entire game when she destroys that one Protoss ship, and even then she goes out of her way to justify it as a necessity (even while using the exact words "I justify nothing," she justifies it to the audience).

And hell, why does Kerrigan even care about revenge this much? Of course Mengsk betrayed her and set her on her horrible path, but revenge is her only motivation in this game beyond rescuing her boyfriend. And ****, Kerrigan and Raynor were not that into each other in SC1, they just flirted a bit.
---
Not changing this sig until I decide to change this sig.
Started: July 6, 2005
#2Anagram(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 11:19:22 PM
Everyone Else
tl;dr The other characters are one-dimensional and awful

Just kidding, there aren't any other characters! There are only cardboard cutouts for Kerrigan to talk at. Zeratul has a cameo to say "Hi, I'm Zeratul," Izsha has literally no personality, Zagara exists solely for Kerrigan to rant about "vision" to (by the way, I love how Abathur can weave abstract concepts into DNA), Dehaka exists to say "essence" fifteen times per minute, and I don't even know why Stukov is in this game at all. Not only does his presence raise the question of why Raynor doesn't mention him to that Protoss chick in WoL who said that infestation is incurable, but they inexplicably infested him again off screen. Just... why? What does he do except remind us of a better game? You could literally replace him with a new character named Larry who would say "I was experimented on but escaped, so I psychically called out to the Swarm's leader" and nothing would change.

Mengsk is the worst off. Hey, remember when he was clever, ruthless, and brilliant, but not so strong that he could control the Sector on his own? Neither does Blizzard. Oh, Kerrigan will call Mengsk "the most cunning enemy we've ever faced" and claim that Korhal is her most difficult battle, but really, Mengsk does literally nothing except tell Kerrigan that Raynor is alive after she heard he was dead from the least reliable source possible (the Dominion news) and accepted it without question. **** this guy, the old Mengsk would have installed a gas system in the prison ship to instantly kill Raynor in his cell the moment Kerrigan's ship appeared outside. This Mengsk has a bunch of defenses for Kerrigan to destroy, but that's it. He's just an obstacle Kerrigan creates for herself. What do I mean by that? Well...

The Ending
tl;dr This was pointless

What was even the purpose of this game? Compare this fecal matter Chris Metzen calls an ending to the final battles of the other zerg campaigns, where they defeat a Protoss army and take control of Aiur, or Kerrigan defeating three enormous armies on her own (during which, by the way, she didn't care at all about Mengsk because revenge is a ridiculous and stupid motive) and becoming the most powerful force in the sector. What's accomplished in HotS? Kerrigan kills a dictator who wasn't even doing anything hostile to anyone outside of his empire (admittedly he was breeding those hybrids, but even then it's explicitly stated that he's just someone else's minion) and goes to fight Amon, a being she only knows exists because she was told by Zeratul (who was told by an Ancient Prophecy, so you know it's serious) and the Ancient One and about whom she knows literally nothing, not even why she should fight him beyond the vague warnings that he'll probably destroy everything, maybe. I know he's obviously the Dark Voice from WoL, but it's not like Kerrigan knows that or saw Zeratul's visions. Amon has literally no presence in this game. So basically: Kerrigan kills a tertiary character who was no longer important to the story in any way and then goes to fight someone whom she's never met based on the warnings of people she doesn't trust and a prophecy she explicitly does not believe, and she takes the entire Swarm to go do it. I'll admit that's a step up from WoL, which has not one but three storylines that are irrelevant (Haven, Tosh, and exposing Mengsk's crazy speech about destroying what he can't control, which does not come up again ever), but it's not actually impressive, it's just ascending from basement level 3 to basement level 2.

This game is a crime. Starcraft 1 and Brood War were not the best written games ever, but they were infinitely above this mess. Why did Starcraft even need ancient prophecies at all? They ruined Star Wars, they didn't have to ruin Starcraft as well!
---
#3funkyfritterPosted 3/14/2013 11:26:21 PM
I thought the story was good, but the dialogue was poor and didn't make things clear enough. After piecing things together Kerrigan has a nice story arc over the course of the game, but the writing doesn't provide enough clues to follow it until after it's all over.
---
And with that...pow! I'm gone!
#4BurnumMasterPosted 3/14/2013 11:29:22 PM
Please show us your starcraft fanfic, I'm sure it is a masterpiece.
---
GT:BurnumMaster
#5USFPosted 3/14/2013 11:34:54 PM
tl;dr
---
Because the door was open. Blue skies.
Currently Playing: Starcraft II: HoTS, God Of War: Ascension, Tomb Raider.
#6Anagram(Topic Creator)Posted 3/14/2013 11:35:00 PM
BurnumMaster posted...

I don't get paid to write. Chris Metzen does. I also don't get paid to make sequels to good games. Chris Metzen does.
---
#7BurnumMasterPosted 3/14/2013 11:41:02 PM
Anagram posted...
BurnumMaster posted...

I don't get paid to write. Chris Metzen does. I also don't get paid to make sequels to good games. Chris Metzen does.

But you seem like such an expert of story crafting.
---
#8linkkhalid89Posted 3/14/2013 11:43:25 PM
Obviously, TC, if you're going to voice a complaint, you're going to need to be able to create your own superior work. You can't just have an opinion; in order to be a video game critic, you can't just play the game. You have to design superior games.

Come on son.
#9BurnumMasterPosted 3/14/2013 11:46:28 PM
linkkhalid89 posted...
Obviously, TC, if you're going to voice a complaint, you're going to need to be able to create your own superior work. You can't just have an opinion; in order to be a video game critic, you can't just play the game. You have to design superior games.

Come on son.

Cute.
---
#10linkkhalid89Posted 3/14/2013 11:50:40 PM
You know, as a Blizzdrone, it might be prudent for you to hold off on responding altogether until you can think of a worthwhile response, rather than to drop snarky comments that don't really address anything at all.

Given that you're a Blizzdrone, however, that could take a while.