Can't Use A Controller....Please Help...

#1Merciless704Posted 3/1/2012 11:28:40 PM
I didn't see this topic anywhere else....

I'm having the exact same problem with "The Darkness 2" and "NFS The Run".....my controller is just not acknowledged by these games. Every other PC game I have that requires a controller works just fine with it...but for some reason, I can't get these games to acknowledge its existence.

The only settings I have to choose from in the menu options are "keyboard" and "wheel" in NFS The Run....I can't use any buttons...I CAN'T DO ANYTHING!!....In Saint Row, I try to map my control buttons...NOTHING....I'm only allowed to use my keyboard and mouse.

So can someone PLEASE tell me how to get these games to work with my controller? Because this whole thing is driving me nuts since I've waited all this freaking time to play these things...

I've tried TocaEdit...I've used XInput....nothing is working...it's just not recognizing that I have a controller plugged in....but like I said...NONE of my other games have this issue....they're working with my controller just fine...

HELP PLEASE!!

Thanx in advance....
#2cody4783Posted 3/2/2012 12:20:46 AM
It would help if you actually stated WHAT controller you're actually using.

If it's *not* an Xbox 360 controller, than you may just be out of luck. Some (Actually, a lot) of recent/modern games won't recognize any other controllers natively.

Best option for those is to either get a different controller (Wired 360 pads are ~$30 or so), or use a program like Xpadder to map controller buttons to keyboard key presses.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
http://steamcard.com/do/nxe/Cody48.png
#3Merciless704(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2012 8:04:20 AM
cody4783 posted...
It would help if you actually stated WHAT controller you're actually using.

If it's *not* an Xbox 360 controller, than you may just be out of luck. Some (Actually, a lot) of recent/modern games won't recognize any other controllers natively.

Best option for those is to either get a different controller (Wired 360 pads are ~$30 or so), or use a program like Xpadder to map controller buttons to keyboard key presses.

Okay....sorry for not giving better info....but here's the deal....

I'm using a PS2 controller through a USB adapter. Been using this for YEARS with no issues. Whenever an issue HAS come up, I've used Xinput, or xBox360emu (or whatever it is), and Toca Edit...they all normally worked in the end....

I have NBA 2k12, which is pretty recent, and a few other recent titles...I don't have the issue of not being able to use a controller. I've never had an issue with a Need For Speed game.

Not sure if this is enough info or not, so just let me know if I'm leaving everything out.

*****Update*****

SOMEHOW got "The Darkness 2" to acknowledge my controller. To be honest, I have no idea what the hell I did. I used Toca Edit, moved the two files over, and it worked.....this method does NOT work with Saints Row. I'm gonna try to re-install NFS The Run to see if this works.

Now, before anybody bites my head off...I'm not INTENTIONALLY posting other game crap in this board. This is mainly about Saints Row...but the same issue is happening with these other games...that's the only reason I'm mentioning them.

So if there's anything you can help with, I'm paying close attention...
#4ngosterPosted 3/3/2012 7:37:34 PM
I use a 360 controller and it works. Don't have a ps2 so I dont know
---
You should never want to be perfect, he who is perfect can never get any better.
#5MetalscarzPosted 3/12/2012 7:28:20 AM
Try motioninjoy. I use it for my PS3 controllers. I think it may support PS2 as well. It has a 360 emulator built in, key bindings, key bindings to keyboard and bluetooth support. Works for all my PC games.
#6MasterNinja49Posted 3/14/2012 6:34:43 PM

My 360 wired controller isn't working, the game reads the controller but the button mapping is all over the place. Know what i can do?

All my other games work good with the controller.

#7itakedrukqsPosted 4/1/2012 7:16:01 PM
Why would you want to use a controller? You're defeating one of the greatest purposes of gaming on PC.

Try Xpadder though. It's the best software you'll find for this sort of thing. It's very simple, the interface is wonderful, and it works for everything. A friend of mine uses it to bind functions from his mouse and keyboard to his gamepad for flash games.
#8cody4783Posted 4/1/2012 9:44:23 PM(edited)

Why would you want to use a controller? You're defeating one of the greatest purposes of gaming on PC.

Kind of dense if you don't realize that the glory of PC gaming is you have the choice to use any input method you wish. Any controller, from any console, or anything made for PC. AS WELL as the Mouse and Keyboard.

The 360 controller is generally the best choice for games like this, as it gets native support out of the box. I don't actually think SR3 supports other controllers, honestly.
---
PC: http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn233/cody4783/cody4783.jpg
#9CaptainScrubbyPosted 4/6/2012 3:27:32 AM
Get a wired Xbox 360 controller, there's just no reason to use a PS2 controller since they have the exact same setup (only with renamed buttons).

I mean about the only other controllers you could possibly need is one of those six button Genesis style controllers, and a Nintendo 64 Controller and Port for emulators. With those three, you're set for pretty much any game.
#10CaptainScrubbyPosted 4/6/2012 3:33:42 AM
I don't understand Mouse and Keyboard purists. Some games work better with a mouse and keyboard, some are better suited for a controller even if you can use a well optimized mouse and keyboard.

Mouse and Keyboard generally means a lot more buttons/keys to worry about, and a lot of game developers want to force us all to use awsd which I personally hate (Those are my typing keys! My typing keys!).

I mean in a game like Skyrim, I prefer a controller, it's just easier to control the speed of your character and little things like that. For most FPS games, I prefer a mouse and keyboard, but any Grand Theft Auto styled game like this, I prefer a controller.

With a controller your vehicular controls are just finer, and aiming with controllers isn't that much harder once you get good at it, plus in Saint's Row 3 you pretty much just have to point and shoot, no need to get all 1337 sh4rp s00t43r h34d sh0ts 3v4r tim3 w/ ir0nsights