Why does it still say my NAT is closed?

#1jpetrolinoPosted 12/7/2011 6:36:42 AM

So despite the fact that I had been playing co-op games since the game came out, I am now getting messages that my NAT is closed ... I googled the issue ... went on to my router ... opened ports, etc.  and it still says my NAT is closed ... What is strange though is that if I open the possibility for anyone to join my game ... people join in droves ... but I can't link with my cousin ... I either can't join his game or if I try to get him to join my game it says NAT is closed.  Any help?  I have a LINKYS router and I have googled the issue for a solution.  Thanks.

#2Zim_MasakiPosted 12/7/2011 9:46:30 AM
Hmm I know there used to be an issue with Linksys routers where when opening ports it would forget about it. You had to do something like turn it off, set the settings, then turn it off again, can't quite remember.

Just google for Linksys ports not staying open or something. I used to have this where I would open the ports for my 360, turn it on and it's fine. But then if I turned the 360 off the next time it would be closed again.
#3jpetrolino(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2011 10:09:01 AM

Thanks.  I might try resetting the router and modem and see if that does anything.

#4bengab0y0Posted 12/7/2011 11:40:55 AM
Its also possible your ISP made some changes and that could be causing the issue. If you call them and ask they might be able to tell you more.
#5lovelesskPosted 12/7/2011 11:47:59 AM
Sounds like you opened your ports, but didn't set your xbox to a static IP.

You can always set your MAC address to the DMZ.
---
Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money." [Joseph Sobran]
#6jpetrolino(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2011 2:02:47 PM

lovelessk posted...
Sounds like you opened your ports, but didn't set your xbox to a static IP.

You can always set your MAC address to the DMZ.
---
Politicians never accuse you of 'greed' for wanting other people's money --- only for wanting to keep your own money." [Joseph Sobran]

That is an excellent idea. Maybe I need to set the XBOX to a static IP. How do you set your MAC address to the DMZ? And what will that do ... Not sure if it is an ISP provider ... Two things that are very weird about this problem: 1. Other people were randomly trying to join me on Saints Row ... My cousin could not join me though and I could not join his game. 2. I logged on to BF3 and played it without any problem at all.

#7jpetrolino(Topic Creator)Posted 12/7/2011 2:03:55 PM
bengab0y0 posted...
Its also possible your ISP made some changes and that could be causing the issue. If you call them and ask they might be able to tell you more.

Thanks ... but I am only calling them as a last resort. Every time I call them ... they blame XBOX or the game manufacturer ... Then, whenever I call XBOX, they blame the ISP. This problem started immediately after the last XBOX update which I here is causing a lot of problems like this for other people.
#8lovelesskPosted 12/7/2011 5:13:14 PM
Go to Port Forward and follow their instructions on how to set up a static IP.

Your DMZ settings with be router specific, but you can also find it on port forward. Just make sure to read the splash page. They try to sell you their program, but the information is free and the link to get there is in the top right corner.

It's an easy to use site once you get that.

I can probably walk you through much of it, but message boards aren't the friendliest of places for quick Q&A.
---
#9ApexMjolnirPosted 12/7/2011 10:59:25 PM
Most Routers use the same menu features...

DMZ is usually in the settings>port forwarding menu.

Go into your 360 in network settings, and find the IP address of your 360, and now go to your router again, and check the box that says that IP address...

Sometimes there is a drop down box for DMZ, and you just choose the Computer/game console, that you want to use in the DMZ.

and then Make sure you save the settings.
---
GT: Wonderpill
#10jpetrolino(Topic Creator)Posted 12/8/2011 9:42:51 AM

Loveless and Apex thanks guys.  When I get home tonight I am going to try and figure it out again.  I guess I still have to go into the XBOX though and change it to a "static IP" no?  Also, why would would some people be able to join my game on Saints Row and I play BF3 online no problem, but my cousin and I can't join?  Strange