Do you still need your online pass to play co-op system link?

#1Se7enthrustPosted 1/28/2012 7:45:44 PM
Cuz... that would be just stupid! I don't play online and I'm ready to hand out this code for free but just wanted to double check on this before I do. Thanks for any info.
---
"If at first you don't succeed, then parachuting isn't for you" -Unknown
[Now Playing]: Saints Row TT, LOTR WITN, KUF COD, TES IV Oblivion
#2cminusPosted 1/28/2012 7:48:29 PM(edited)
Almost positive you need it to system link. Haven't tried it myself but according to this:

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/7221/saints-row-the-third-requires-an-online-pass-for-co-op-including-system-link-co-op.html
#3Se7enthrust(Topic Creator)Posted 1/28/2012 8:14:14 PM
Thanks C-minus... That info just made me quite a bit more disappointed in this game. I'm even thinking of selling it now since i'm not going to dish out extra cash for a second code.

My friend bought a copy used and did not get the pass but we have not tried system link yet and now he is just going to return the game as there is no point to keep it.

Co-op is the best way to play and it's strange that a video game created in the spirit of conveniently having fun with your local friends just doesn't exist naturally anymore. I never thought the future of games would mean necessary purchases just to play with your friends even LOCALLY. What gives with these greedy p*****!

SR2 made a huge impact in fun open world co-op experience but these game companies chancing that no one will play their games just to make a buck seems like a really stupid investment to me. Why do people keep buying into it and perpetuating this horrid mutation of the game industry???

I guess I should really start hoarding all the classic co-op games on PS2, Gamecube and Xbox because it looks like I won't be spending much money on the future of gaming if it continues this way.
---
#4Ulyaoth74Posted 1/28/2012 8:38:12 PM
I was a bit pissed too. I'm going to get this game as my friend already has it, it's used as well. What I see here is basically paying $10 to plug in a second controller.
---
"Can you draw two M&Ms fighting with katanas?" -Me http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9606/mmfight.png -aDubiousNotion
#5SuperSaiyanGokuPosted 1/28/2012 8:57:57 PM
So people gonna buy it used and ***** about the online pass.

If you dont want to buy it in full price, then wait for it to go on sale. That way you'll be able to get it new and get an online pass.
---
users.ign.com/collection/SuperSaiyanGokou621
#6Ulyaoth74Posted 1/28/2012 9:03:00 PM
Online pass is needed for off line, that is why we are complaining, it doesn't make any sense. If you think it does, you have a few marbles missing.
---
"Can you draw two M&Ms fighting with katanas?" -Me http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9606/mmfight.png -aDubiousNotion
#7Se7enthrust(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2012 8:32:11 PM
It doesn't matter if you get it new. The online pass makes it so you can't play locally without first buying a new copy of the game or purchasing it online.

The problem here is customers who buy used whether they prefer it or can only afford it as like me on a budget are punished. (Although in this case I blindly bought SRTT new out of faith in SR 2's success and now severely regret it)

I can kinda understand paying to play online co-op... but to pay for local co-op? Screw that!

Also anytime I have friends that wanna play local I gotta say "uh... did ya buy it new cuz you need a pass to play and if not pony up $10 so we can download one to your xbox"

99% of my friends buy used with the exception of Big Releases that come a few times a year so this impacts my ability to play co-op in a significant way... So I am rightfully pissed about this bull.
---
#8cminusPosted 2/1/2012 8:48:11 PM(edited)
Se7enthrust posted...
The problem here is customers who buy used whether they prefer it or can only afford it as like me on a budget are punished.

Just my opinion, but no more than developers are "punished" by not getting a dime for their work because you want/have to buy the game cheaper from a second hand retailer. I'm not saying you're wrong, but it goes both ways. Personally I have no problem with online codes but I can see the other point of view. Either way, it's just not as black and white as "greedy publishers are punishing loyal gamers." There's definitely more to it than that.

I do agree that the disappearance of local co-op features in games is the most disappointing trend in gaming, though. I like online multiplayer, it's fun to go up against randoms and all. But nothing beats sitting on the same couch with 3+ other actual friends and gaming. As an example, there's are reasons why Goldeneye is as widely considered one the best games ever, an all time classic, and that right there is a HUGE reason.