A game that bears ATI logo doesn't work on all ATI cards running computers?!

#1cch8Posted 12/6/2009 7:48:26 PM
I went to a shop looking for the game, and the shop owner told me not to buy the game if I have an ATI card.

I thought it was a joke, but when I browse the Internet, I found out that the game does not work on all ATI rigs.

Who is it to blame? EA or ATI? I don't know.

Quite fed up that I will be bored for the next few days until they roll out a patch. Maybe I don't want to buy the game anymore.
#2Styl3648Posted 12/6/2009 8:42:00 PM

ATI cards were what the blame landed on initially, and people have latched onto that. It appears to be either a multicore issue, or perhaps a driver issue. The former is more likely because some Nvidia users have reported problems too. The issues seem to be isolated to Windows Vista/7. Some XP users have reported problems, but the most likely culprit for them is their computer not being up-to-date.

I have an ATI card and have the issues when trying to play it on Windows 7. However, I am able to play it just fine on Windows XP SP3.

#3MegumiChanPosted 12/7/2009 7:37:09 AM
The game has multi-core and newer driver problems.

To make the game somewhat playable, you need to change the CPU Affinity to 1 CPU for a Dual Core/Quad Core, along with setting the Priority on High in the Task manager.
#4foodeater4Posted 12/7/2009 8:19:52 AM
Dont buy the game until they fix the problems. Why support a company that release such a blatantly broken product. I can understand some bugs, but entire O/S's is unacceptable.
#5CountCristoPosted 12/7/2009 7:46:17 PM
I wouldn't recommend putting all the blame on the game devs. The recent revolution of quad-cores, Windows 7 (...revolution?), and extremely sophisticated chip technology of graphics cards have led to way too many variations in driver behavior, especially with high-performance programs such as PC games. I'm not saying that this game did not lack the need for more optimizing, but watching users go berserk and calling boycotts over a game is a little disturbing. I understand that we all paid for the game and thus we expect to have the value of the product, but you might as well blame the entire electronics field for all this cross-compatability/driver mess.
#6GamingMULEPosted 12/9/2009 12:31:25 PM

EA is to blame they killed pandemic studios shile they were still working out the bugs. I have a question myself do u know if the patch will be out any time soon i realy want to play without game crashing:P

#7TexasMackPosted 12/9/2009 12:34:40 PM
EA needs to get their **** together.
---
My sig picture died. So this will be a sig for now.
#8EndofEternityxxPosted 12/9/2009 1:08:18 PM
ATI cards were what the blame landed on initially, and people have latched onto that. It appears to be either a multicore issue, or perhaps a driver issue. The former is more likely because some Nvidia users have reported problems too. The issues seem to be isolated to Windows Vista/7

Your hypothesis is contradicting. Far more ATI users have reported problems than nVidia. As for multicore, I've tried this game on 3 of my computers. Because, well, I'm not always on my main gaming computer. They all have multicores and nVidia, they all run fine. As for the OS, if any OS is responsible, I'd say Vista. >_> Windows 7 is pretty good about compatibility.
Seems the issue would boil down to some kind of driver incompatibility, if anything. Doesn't necessarily have to be graphics card drivers.
---
[This message was deleted at the request of an incompetent jackass]
#9RadosityPosted 12/9/2009 7:29:02 PM

Here's what happened: ATI cards were tested on The Saboteur and they worked fine. But then a different version of the game was distributed. Obviously this version didn't work with most ATI cards. It's definitely a big mistake on EA's part, but that's not all. Not only has EA made a huge mistake, they refuse to give even a general release date for the patch.

It's probably safe to assume that the patch is going to take at least a week, especially considering how much Pandemic's crew has shrunk. Until then, it's probably best to just forget about the game. I'm certainly planning to.