Found this game very underwhelming (spoilers)

#1glory of power metalPosted 11/24/2012 9:01:52 AM(edited)
I recently got a PS3 and the 3 Uncharted games. I was so excited to play this one in particular because I'd heard nothing but stellar remarks about every aspect of the game. Upon completing it last night, I feel like I must be playing a different game than everyone else. The voice acting, facial expressions, environments, and music were incredible. Everything else, though, I felt fell short.

Companions-
The major complaint I have is that in this day and age, and with an otherwise unused d-pad during combat, there were no teammate commands. I had my two girls opening fire on enemies when I was right behind them about to stealth them, staying far away and shooting directly into trees and columns that blocked us and the enemies for entire battles, and just generally standing in the way and blocking me from getting to cover. All I'd need is a "hold your fire," "move up," "switch to close range weapon," and "switch to long range weapon." The help I got from them felt like something from last gen that was just simply not fleshed out. Not to mention while not in combat, I had Chloe fall off of a roof on her own twice, and had been blocked while jumping and fallen to my death a few times. Not cool.

Story-
Was certainly not bad. Then again it wasn't the adventure epic I was promised. Often I was reminded of the Austin Powers scene with the ill-tempered sea bass. Dr. Evil closes the door, Scott says they could escape; he could get a gun and kill them right there, and then of course they do escape. I know story was supposed to be a bit pulpy, but overall it felt like your standard summer blockbuster affair. I was also sort of hoping it would in some way continue the first game, since that one was short as all hell and resolved absolutely nothing about the El Dorado curse. Lastly, I feel like I've been chasing maniacal dudes searching for invincibility, who I track down a moment too late and then have to fight them in super human form as a final boss for far too long. I could've gone for something a little more unique. Don't get me wrong though, Lazarevic was an awesome bad guy and his voice actor was top notch.

Platforming-
It wasn't an issue in the first game, but this time around, I found traversing to be quite ambiguous sometimes. Mostly in the case of "This 20 foot leap will take you to the next area, this other 20 foot leap is too far and will lead to your death." I cringed every time I dropped from a ledge because there was often no distinction between what was too far and what was just right. There were a few spots where Nathan just simply wouldn't grab the ledge he was supposed to. It happened a bunch in the ice cave where I'd just fall to my death over and over trying to grab a ledge, and then do nothing different the next time and Nathan miraculously grabs it.

Combat-
The cover system reminded me of the first Mass Effect with how it was ok but just rough and unpolished. I had Nathan popping out of cover, ducking and rolling rather than getting behind cover, latching on to sides of buildings when he was supposed to vault over an obstacle, ect. The thing where when you aim, everything the reticle isn't on is out of focus probably looked good on paper, but in practice with how quickly you often need to take enemies out, it was a detrimental annoyance. I also had a problem with how annoyingly cheap deaths can be. I can buy it in higher difficulties, but on normal I shouldn't have a guy with a grenade launcher kill me instantly after I take out everyone else without him up to that point ever making his presence known, nor should I find myself on small platforms where if an enemy happens to throw a grenade, I can't escape. A few times I got hit with an explosive and got stuck in an object in the environment and had to reset or wait to die.
---
QT x314159.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#2glory of power metal(Topic Creator)Posted 11/24/2012 8:58:41 AM
Had to cut that short due to post length, but in short while I certainly liked many aspects of the game like the graphics, train/car chase scenes, I felt that of the probably 200 times I died throughout the game, 180 were because of sloppy mechanics or teammates sabotaging me. I'd be glad to listen to anyone who can put some of my problems into perspective.

Also, like I said I have the 3rd game as well. If this is how I felt about this one, should I expect much out of Deception? I wanted to enjoy Uncharted 2 and went into it expecting something incredible, and by end I was glad to be rid of it. :\
---
QT x314159.
glory of power metal is an anagram of Lame Flowerpot Orgy. ~ kirbymuncher
#3Eric037Posted 11/28/2012 6:37:50 AM
About the platforming; I don't know if this will help you at all, but Nate will reach out with his arm first if you're hanging from a ledge and trying to point in another direction to jump that he can actually reach. If he can't reach it, he won't reach his arm out.
---
http://eric-3.deviantart.com/
http://backloggery.com/eric3
#4cmpunkfan15Posted 11/30/2012 10:21:05 PM
wow that last comment was kind of harsh tc
---
cm punk is the best in the world
#5Oak_TeaPosted 12/31/2012 2:09:19 PM
I enjoyed the game and found it mostly superior to the first game. I agree with most of your sentiments, but to a much smaller degree.

The companions were great, especially because they couldn't die. Having them be invincible meant it didn't matter what they were doing, and even though they got annoying at times (shooting enemies while I tried to line up a headshot for eg.), they were more help than not. Especially since in the first game, you couldn't "push" your companions out of cover when they had the most ideal spot.

I did wonder why the first one ended the way it did...the game begins with Nathan pulling out a coffin from the bottom of the sea...won't it be easy enough to pull out El Dorado from the bottom of the sea too? But I enjoyed the story in 2 much more than in 1...and I thoroughly enjoyed 1's story.

I agree 100% about the platforming in this game. It seemed to be especially bad towards the end of the game where it looked like there were plenty of platforms that would be grabbable, but Nate just does his "wall kick" and drops to his death..so much for treasure hunting.

I feel that overall, combat improved greatly from the first game. There were many more intense and fun fire-fights in this game with a lot more variety...getting a hold of the minigun, destroying helicopters...the only thing missing was car chases..and if there were some of those, there should've been more!
I feel that the cover system took a turn for the worse, however. It's harder to tell what you can take cover behind occasionally, and Nate never seems to know the right wall to hide behind when he reaches a corner. Moving from one side of a column to another also worked infrequently for me. And the worst part about all this is that you can't roll into cover like in the first game.

Overall, this game was much better than the first with only a few things that went wrong. Always go into a game with low expectations...I know everyone hypes this game, but if you don't let the hype get to you, you'll be happier with your gaming purchases.
---
Now playing: Rock Band 3, PS3 Collections
#6SS_MetalSonicPosted 1/15/2013 8:51:56 PM
tc, you are correct!!
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Skyward Sword, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Borderlands
#7SS_MetalSonicPosted 1/15/2013 9:00:16 PM
i just bought this game today . completely agree with everything said here. the platforming can be annoying.
---
PSWiiPC60DS - Deus Ex, Crysis, Skyward Sword, Black ops 2, Farcry 3
Forza 4, Rage, InFamous 2, Darksiders 2, Vanquish, NBA2K13, Halo 4, Skyrim, Borderlands
#8cow1578Posted 1/17/2013 10:17:33 PM
I'd say that where this game excels is overall presentation.

There are issues with the platforming. Sometimes the environments look like you can climb on them and you can't. The game is one long big & pretty corridor. We can all go on.

However, the sum is much more than its parts. The graphics, the story, the witty dialogue, the set piece battles and the characters all mesh pretty much seamlessly.

The story and characters are intentionally fluffy. The game tries very hard to let the player live out their Indiana Jones fantasy. It mostly succeeds.

On the whole I would say it is a pretty remarkable game. There are certainly issues but if you look at the forest instead of the trees it is a very impressive game.
---
What's your nationality?
Me? I'm a drunkard.
#9RGR490GPosted 2/16/2013 11:57:01 PM
Oak_Tea posted...
I did wonder why the first one ended the way it did...the game begins with Nathan pulling out a coffin from the bottom of the sea...won't it be easy enough to pull out El Dorado from the bottom of the sea too? But I enjoyed the story in 2 much more than in 1...and I thoroughly enjoyed 1's story.

Actually, if you remember, El Dorado turned people into zombies. So I don't think they wanted to get it back :)
#10sravankbPosted 3/1/2013 11:07:58 PM
The good and bad about this game can be summarized in a single word - linear.

The linearity gives the game its great cutscenes and cinematic moments, but it heavily discourages any type of choice whatsoever. If you're climbing some structure, you have just one way of getting there, down to the individual bricks you grab to get there. If you're in a firefight, there's a very narrow region where you must stay and shoot guys.

The boss fights are the perfect examples of this - I mean quicktime events are fine as an otpion, but forcing you to use them to beat the guy is kinda dumb.

And honestly, even the cinematic moments get kinda tiring - look at any jump from the game - it's the exact same distance, the exact same animations, and Nate makes it exactly on the spot each and every time. It's overused to the point where it loses all impact.
---
6 MONTHS!? Jesus that's a long attention span... I'm lucky if I can pay attention for more than