Secret to Hitting Homeruns in 09

#1omar32Posted 3/22/2009 10:32:23 PM
As everyone knows, hitting was way too easy in RTTS 08, to the point where I think most vets got a little lazy at the plate. In 08, all I would do was guess low fastball every time, sit on it, and watch the home runs pile up. My most ridiculous season using that method playing every game for a full 162 game season was .522 101 HR, 278 RBI, 303 Hits, 221 SB.

No way you can duplicate those numbers in 09, and to be honest, thats a good thing.

If you are building a power hitter you have to remember the physics in this years version are truer to real baseball than 08 ever was. Using my same routine from last year, sitting on low fastballs and mashing, I found myself hitting at least 75% of my hits into the ground.

Growing ever more frustrated I changed my approach to sit on high fastballs. DUH.....sure enough, the my ground ball to fly ball ratio reversed, and balls began flying out again. Not to the tune of 100 home run season, but at least to a realistic amount for a power prospect coming up in the minors. The physics in this game are such that, as in real baseball, pitchers are rewarded for keeping the ball down. Keep the ball down and the majority of the time the ball will stay in the park. Miss with a high fastball and leave it in the zone....bye bye.

Whats the secret to hitting homeruns in 09? Pounce on all mistakes up in the zone, try to lay off the low stuff unless you are protecting with two strikes.
#2JimayoPosted 3/22/2009 10:43:39 PM
I'm willing to bet I beat your stolen bases record.
---
"I'll be up on the roof killing people until we're allowed to progress." - Black Mage, A man after my own heart.
#3FF7Sephiroth31Posted 3/22/2009 10:52:25 PM
Whats the secret to hitting homeruns in 09? Pounce on all mistakes up in the zone, try to lay off the low stuff unless you are protecting with two strikes.

lmfao thats the secret to hitting in real life
#4omar32(Topic Creator)Posted 3/22/2009 11:13:18 PM
"lmfao thats the secret to hitting in real life "

Funny how that works huh? A game billing itself as the most realistic ever would actually force you to employ real baseball strategy to succeed.
#5I Like ToastPosted 3/22/2009 11:15:39 PM
would actually force you to employ real baseball strategy to succeed.

which is very annoying when you have a batters eye that makes vlad look selective >:(
---
http://mikelikes.net/ latest entry "Review: Persona 4"
Do you like toast: Yes: 40 No: 0
#6badnewsliarPosted 3/23/2009 5:12:55 AM
i don't wait on pitches up in the zone, i tend to hit liners for outs, or get under them and fly out. i've been hitting really well with lefties, specifically david ortiz, jd drew, and george kottaras. i can hit 4 seamers as well as sliders and harving curveballs. if you time it using the x button and the L3 stick, you can pretty much pull the ball where you want it. i have 30 home runs with ortiz, and i didn't even hit the all star break yet. the secret is discipline, you need to wait for a pitch and learn the repetition of pitch types thrown by the pitcher.
#7slappzillaPosted 3/23/2009 1:59:17 PM
I can't hit at all :(

How do you guess where the pitch is going to go?
#8JimayoPosted 3/23/2009 4:10:30 PM
i don't wait on pitches up in the zone, i tend to hit liners for outs, or get under them and fly out.

I used to have that problem. You need to be more on the pitch. Swing when it's about a foot from the plate and you'll put it up the middle. Unless it's high and tight then nail it about 3 feet from the plate and you'll have about a 25% chance to put it over the wall.
---
"I'll be up on the roof killing people until we're allowed to progress." - Black Mage, A man after my own heart.
#9slappzillaPosted 3/24/2009 5:16:40 AM
omar34 posted...
Growing ever more frustrated I changed my approach to sit on high fastballs. DUH.....sure enough, the my ground ball to fly ball ratio reversed, and balls began flying out again.

when you say guess high fastball, do you mean hitting R2, guessing fastball, and then holding the L-stick circle thing up high and swinging?
#10zingers61Posted 3/24/2009 5:47:28 AM
When you have a fastball or other pitch up in the zone and you know where it is, do you need to aim with the left stick right at that spot or something else to hit the homerun? Been having problems with that. I get plenty of singles but can't figure out exactly how to hit a homerun.