List of Monsters/Mythological Creatures

#1FlyingDeCowPosted 11/3/2009 6:34:46 PM
If there's a mistake or if I've missed anything, please let me know. I've divided the list into Humanoid, Non-Humanoid, Non-Humanoid Item Holder, and Rideable Non-Humanoid. Centaur is unique in that in can be ridden and carry items. Humanoids are creatures that can hold items (with the exception of Genie and Spring Heeled Jack) and ride vehicles. Most of the rideable non-humanoids need to be turned friendly using a Mind Control Device or a Love Bow. Also, I haven't included any name duplicates, so if you think I've missed a certain creature, it may already be on the list under a different name. Enjoy!

Humanoid

Alien
Android
Anon
Anubis
Cyborg
Cyclops
Dryad
Faun
Genie
Gnome
Goblin
God
Godmother
Headless Horseman
Jenny Greenteeth
Kappa
Leprechaun
Liz
Mara
Martian
Mother Goat
Mothman
Mutant
Oni
Orc
Ra
Red Cap
Robot
Robot Zombie
Satan
Scribblenaut
Siren
Skeleton Warrior
Spring Heeled Jack
Tanuki
Tengu
Vampire
Werewolf
Wight
Zombie

Non-Humanoid

Ahool
Amphis Baena
Elemental
Fairy
Gargoyle
Ghost
Harpy
Jackalope
Mecha
Merman
Ooze
Phoenix
Shoggoth
Wickerman
Wisp
Wolpertinger

Non-Humanoid Item Holder

Bigfoot
Boggart
Cecaelia
Chupacabra
Death
Flatwoods Monster
Jersey Devil
Medusa
Mermaid
Minotaur
Monster
Mummy
Nuckelavee
Scylla
Succubus
Wraith
Yeti
Ymir

Rideable Non-Humanoid

Behemoth
Centaur
Cerberus
Chi
Chimera
Cockatrice
Cthulhu
Dragon
Edison
Giant Enemy Crab
Griffin
Haetae
Hydra
Jabberwock
Kraken
Leviathan
Manticore
Nessie
Ninja Shark
Pegasus
Philosoraptor
Robosaur
Roc
Sand Worm
Shambler
Sleipnir
Sphinx
Unicorn

---
I think it's wrong that only 1 company is allowed to manufacture the game "Monopoly".
#2ElmntEarth4LifePosted 11/3/2009 8:19:40 PM
you forgot a Liger
---
Warning: This post contains scenes of explicit violence and gore
Steam: Bloody_GiR
#3CrimianPosted 11/3/2009 8:23:41 PM
Ligers and tigons are real. The former are giants and the latter are small. If a lion and a tiger mate, the race of the father determines which the offspring are. If the father is a lion, the offspring are ligers; if he's a tiger, the offspring are tigons.
---
Come, ye ruddy. Come, ye pale. Come, ye speckled. We are ginger. We are one!
#4FlyingDeCow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2009 8:41:03 PM
Well, if you want to get technical, robots are real and they're on the list. Depending on what you believe, Bigfoot, Ghosts, Aliens, and others may be real in some people's minds.

---
I think it's wrong that only 1 company is allowed to manufacture the game "Monopoly".
#5AkaneJonesPosted 11/3/2009 10:49:22 PM
Well if you want to get that technical...

Alien < Exists if you believe Betty and Barny Hill
Android < Exists and is made by Honda, by the name of Asimo
Anon < Exists except the Inviable Man doesn't which is what the sprite is
Cyborg < Exists anyone with a pace maker or artificial limb is one
God < Exists for those religious types
Godmother < Exist but you need your parents to have given you Godparents, Fairy Godmothers don't however
Liz < Exists she's one of the developers, how much of Zombie she is is debatable
Mutant < Exists most human have a few mutants genes or two, however the extremes seen here are more along the lines of autistic children
Robot < Exists no need to argue
Robot Zombie < Exist but only in haunted house style theme parks
Satan < Exists for those religious types
Tanuki < Exists it is a small Japanese native forest dog species often called Raccoon Dog in the west
Vampire < Exists they just aren't undead or have real fangs
Werewolf < Exists but it's just a mutant hair growth in human not a half wolf half man that transforms
Ghost < Exists if you're...
Jackalope < Exists but only in the taxidermy trade, since rabbits don't naturally grow horns
Mecha < Could exist just robot technology isn't that good yet
Bigfoot < Exists or at leased it use to, Gigantopithecus
Chupacabra < Exists weather it's as stated or some mutant canine
Mummy < Totally Exists not that they move or anything
Yeti < See Bigfoot
Cockatrice < Exists its a mutant chicken with the dinosaurian tail genes active, it can't turn you to stone though. Retro engineering a dinosaur out of chicken wrought similar results to the myth
Dragon < Exists if you're with the Chinese and believe Dragon = Dinosaur
Edison < Exists he's the artist of the game
Giant Enemy Crab < Exists in PS3 ads
Kraken < Exists it the Giant Squid, arkatoothis
Leviathan < Exists or might exist or did exist, depends on what a Leviathan was supposed to be, Zeuglodon?, Oarfish?, some sort of sea snake?
Nessie < Exists or rather the Plesiosaur did
Robosaur < Exists at a Disney Theme Park
Sphinx < Exists as a statue
#6FlyingDeCow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2009 6:21:10 AM
I do sort of wonder though; surely I missed some being. Something obvious. I know I didn't include Halfling, Dwarf, or Wood Elf. Was this list helpful to anyone?
---
#7CrimianPosted 11/4/2009 7:05:10 AM
Well if you want to get that technical...

Some of those are really reaching. :-P Others, I would agree, do not belong on the list. However, the only time I've ever heard of anyone attributing anything supernatural to ligers is Napolean Dynamite. Even then, the inclusion of tigons, which were not brought up, and the fact that the ligers are at least lighter in color in the game, greatly imply that they were referring to the actual animal, rather than another joke.

Alien - existence isn't proven
Android - used as a monster in numerous movies (B-movies, at least), and Asimo isn't exactly the same level as those.
Anon - agreed that it shouldn't be on the list.
Cyborg - once again, a staple of sci-fi and horror. The examples you used are not at the same level as those.
God - existence isn't proven (and which God?)
Godmother - why godmother and fairy godmother bring up the same sprite, I do not know. Godmother, by itself, is not a monster or mythological, but it shares a sprite with one that is. *shrug*
Liz - she exists, but it brings up a zombie, which is a monster.
Mutant - technically, yes, but this is obviously not that type of mutant.
Robot - used is horror and sci-fi movies. Modern technology is not up to par.
Robot Zombie - animatronics are evidence of an idea, not actual existence. Completely invalid.
Satan - existence isn't proven
Tanuki - yep, they really exist, but the real ones don't run around on their hind legs with hats, scarves, and bracelets on. It was obviously intended to be closer to the folklore about tanuki.
Vampire - I was allergic to the sun and had extra canines; that doesn't make me any closer to a "real" vampire than those claiming to be. Same word for different things.
Werewolf - used in horror, the real condition and the curse are two separate things
Ghost - existence isn't proven, used as monsters
Jackalope - Just no.
Mecha - don't think it should be on the list, as it isn't exactly a monster or mythological, but as you said, the technology is not there yet, if it ever will be.
Bigfoot - cryptozoological (read: modern folklore) creature that many believe still exists. He's still used as a monster, so he fits, whether or not he was inspired by Gigantopithecus.
Chupacabra - doesn't exist in the impish form that's within the game
Mummy - used as monsters, so they fit.
Yeti - see bigfoot
Cockatrice - well, in the myth and in the game, he can turn you to stone. Mythological.
Dragon - renders the stereotype of a fire-breathing dragon from myths, not a dinosaur.
Edison - he exists, but it brings up a nigh unstoppable monster, so it fits
Giant Enemy Crab - see robot zombie (replace "animatronics" with "CGI")
Kraken - I'd agree if it were just "giant squid." Kraken specifically refers to something that has myths about it, and has been used as a monster in various ways.
Leviathan - so there is definitive evidence that a fire-breathing sea serpent existed?
Nessie - refers to the cryptozoological creature that many still believe exists, not just the dinosaur it may be based on
Robosaur - see robot zombie
Sphinx - see robot zombie (replace "animatronics" with "statues")
---
#8FlyingDeCow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2009 8:43:58 AM
It's not a matter of whether or not they should appear on the list. I tried to make it pretty inclusive just so that we know some of the more awesome creatures in the game. We could make lists of the different species of dogs and fish, but who really cares? Isn't it more fun to make different fictional beings fight each other? Shoggoth -vs.- Skeleton Warrior riding a Sand Worm? Done. Scylla wielding a Hand Cannon -vs.- Cyborg wielding a Laser Sword and riding a Robosaur? Awesome
---
#9CrimianPosted 11/4/2009 12:40:42 PM
My point was that ligers don't fit because they are neither monsters nor mythological (outside of a single movie). The only one on the list that I really thought shouldn't be was Anon.
---
#10FlyingDeCow(Topic Creator)Posted 11/4/2009 1:35:06 PM
True, but "Invisible Man" takes longer to type. I'm just lazy.

---