Is it true...

#1LOZFangirl12Posted 1/21/2010 7:09:44 PM
That Skitty and Chikorita are the worst possible team combination ever? I keep hearing this all the friggin' time.
#2classicgamer83Posted 1/21/2010 7:22:13 PM
I don't think it's the worst. I'd give that to Magikarp and Feebas.

But seriously, Skitty has an impressive movepool, and Chikorita has plenty of support options and ranged attacks to choose from.

Skitty can even learn blizzard, a decent room clearing attack.

I'm not seeing much fault with this at this time.
---
Everyone is born right handed.
Only the gifted overcome it.
#3RevoredoPosted 1/21/2010 7:29:31 PM
In my opinion...

Skitty is sill passable since while all her moves become Normal-Type, the STAB makes up for it most of the time. However, dealing with ghosts is a chore. Later on, however, if you take the time to max her IQ, she will know the floor layout and point to where the stairs are everytime you enter in a floor, and won't activate traps.

Chikorita, however, is the worst starter in the game. Most of her attacks are either normal or grass, and even then, you'll need the Energy Ball TM to give her a decent Grass-Type attack. Her IQ skills suck, and aside from a support move every now and then, it can't do anything.

The worst combination I could think of would be having Chikorita as starter and Phanpy as partner, since he isn't that impressive as a starter and plain sucks as a partner.

---
Some people just want to sit down and watch the world burn.
#4classicgamer83Posted 1/21/2010 7:45:07 PM
*looks up Normalize ability* I'm beginning to see a minor problem, here.

But I assume blizzard can still freeze and Thunderbolt can still paralyze, right?
---
#5AngelPeachPosted 1/21/2010 8:47:38 PM
Yeah, status effects can still come into play.

Honestly, I don't see a problem with Normalize. Sure, it makes fighting ghost types a chore. But, it does have it's uses.

I play as a Skitty almost all the time. And Normalize helped me when I decided one time to teach her Thunderbolt. Thanks to Normalize, I didn't have to worry about any Pokemon that had the Lightning Rod ability, since it was no longer considered an electric attack.

I've used the Skitty and Chikorita combo before, and honestly, it's not that bad. At least, before the credits rolled anyway. I tend to stick to Skitty and Pikachu though.
#6Jin 13Posted 1/22/2010 12:49:11 AM
I'm glad I was able to recruit Skitty following a mission then. I'll have fun training her.

I'd never heard of Skitty+Chikorita being terrible. I've only heard a number of people say Eevee+Riolu is a weak combination, to which I beg to differ anyway as that's my team. Even Ghost-types aren't much fo a chore for Eevee thanks to her supercharged STAB (STAB + Adaptability).

And Riolu owns anyway, and will own even moreso once he evolves.
---
"*checks jins karma* 1111 wow thats odd" mistr moon
AIM: BabyMousePichu ~ PMD:EoS Rescues Completed: 10
#7DLM_The_FourthPosted 1/22/2010 2:33:05 AM
Skitty is pure awesomeness and Normalize isn't a big problem.

In my team Skitty is the leader and knows Blizzard. Blizzard kills everything in the room. Heck - it even kills complete monster houses on Blizzard Island - which are full with water and ice pokémon!

Sing is awesome since it puts nearly everything to sleep. Bossbattles are really easy when the foe is sleeping.

If Chikorita is your partner then Chiko should know Heal Bell. If not, I do not find it a waste of a slot to have Skitty know Heal Bell. It's handy and it's nice that I don't have to pack berries or seeds to cure status ailments.
Heal Bell even cures Confusion, so I laugh at everything that uses ANY status moves at me! Or my team members.

Ghosts are only a problem if no one in the party can deal with them. But you always should choose a partner that is able to support you and make up for your weaknesses.
And there are still iron and silver spikes to throw at ghosts. Just throw one or two at them, then a normal Tackle should be enough to kill it.

The only trouble I had so far was when I encountered a Shedinja on Mount Sky. But once Shaymin used Leech Seed on it Shedinja's fate was sealed.
---
Mirage it seems that every time you post I end up in fit of laughter.-ForteZero
When political correctness replaces common sense, we are in deep trouble.-He Man
#8classicgamer83Posted 1/22/2010 8:37:09 AM
I have a follow up. Is Hidden Power also affected by Normalize?

It's technically a normal move, but it then it becomes anything but normal depending on the user.
---
#9DLM_The_FourthPosted 1/22/2010 9:05:21 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10DLM_The_FourthPosted 1/22/2010 9:08:45 AM
Hidden Power

Hidden Power does receive same-type attack bonus, if the Pokémon's actual Hidden Power is the same type as the Pokémon. For example, a Fire-type Pokémon will receive same-type attack bonus when using a Fire-type Hidden Power. Although Hidden Power is displayed as Normal-type in the game's data, a Normal-type Hidden Power is not obtainable. Because of this, a Normal-type Pokémon will never receive same-type attack bonus when using Hidden Power, unless they are dual-typed, use Camouflage, or have the Normalize ability or the Color Change Ability.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Same-type_attack_bonus

I tested this two years ago, but I don't remember the result, sorry :(
---
Mirage it seems that every time you post I end up in fit of laughter.-ForteZero
When political correctness replaces common sense, we are in deep trouble.-He Man