Which bird pokemon can actually fly over terrain?

#1kyatteiPosted 9/30/2012 12:48:40 PM
I want to play as a birdy poke who can fly over water and such. But most of them I've found can't seem to... Are there any birds that actually can fly around levels? Not interested in the non-bird flyers, thanks.
#2KatyMSMPosted 9/30/2012 1:39:31 PM
I think the legendary bird trio can.
---
MSM FC:5200-9569-6224
#3silverwing525Posted 9/30/2012 4:20:31 PM
KatyMSM posted...
I think the legendary bird trio can.

This is correct. I also beleive that Lugia can do so as well(at least with regards to water, unknown about lava though...)
---
Let the Silver Light of Justice fill the world!
#4FefnirOmega13Posted 9/30/2012 7:23:12 PM(edited)
As a rule of thumb:

If it's sprite is flapping or floating in the air, it will be able to cross water.

If it is standing on the ground, it will not.

Just a quick summary check of the groups that can learn All Terrain Hiker:

Beautifly
Vespiquen
Ledian
Xatu*
Togekiss*
Jumpluff*
Mantine*
Altaria*

Where an asterisk is involved, these are pokemon that get All-Terrain Hiker IQ skill, and can thus move over water eventually anyway.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia
#5Miltank_SpotPosted 10/1/2012 3:06:07 AM
Just want to add; Noctowl gets All-Terrain Hiker as well and Swablu is probably the only bird that actually flies. (Though strangely enough, Altaria needs All-Terrain Hiker for the same effect)
Other than those Aerodactyl might be worth a mention since he flies and is kind of bird-like as well.
#6kyattei(Topic Creator)Posted 10/1/2012 7:46:17 AM
Thanks for the answers everyone!

Honestly, it's kind of disappointing that so many of the non-legend birds don't fly but so many of the bugs do... I was really hoping at least one of the pidgey, taillow, fearow, or starly line could fly... bah. I hope they make birds fly more in Magnagate..
#7AngelPeachPosted 10/2/2012 9:51:02 AM
There are some Pokemon who can't fly, and even some of them can get All Terrain Hiker as well. It was pretty strange playing as a Chikorita and suddenly walking on air... or accidentally walking into lava.
#8sinfulGrimoirePosted 10/3/2012 6:38:14 AM
FefnirOmega13 posted...
As a rule of thumb:

If it's sprite is flapping or floating in the air, it will be able to cross water.

Beautifly
Vespiquen
Ledian
Xatu*
Togekiss*
Jumpluff*
Mantine*
Altaria*

Where an asterisk is involved, these are pokemon that get All-Terrain Hiker IQ skill, and can thus move over water eventually anyway.

What? There are several Water Pokemon who are standing on the ground, but they can still cross water. I'm not sure if you were talking about -only- flyers, or Pokemon in general, but I thought I'd chime in.

Also, why not just use a Ghost? A team of Ghosts even, so they could actually follow you through walls.
#9FefnirOmega13Posted 10/3/2012 3:23:56 PM
sinfulGrimoire posted...
FefnirOmega13 posted...
As a rule of thumb:

Beautifly
Vespiquen
Ledian
Xatu*
Togekiss*
Jumpluff*
Mantine*
Altaria*

What? There are several Water Pokemon who are standing on the ground, but they can still cross water. I'm not sure if you were talking about -only- flyers, or Pokemon in general, but I thought I'd chime in.

Also, why not just use a Ghost? A team of Ghosts even, so they could actually follow you through walls.

Only fliers, obviously. That was all he wanted to know about... And as a rule of thumb, most to all water pokemon can wander over water without ATH anyway (including Dratini/Dragonair and if I'm not mistaken Anorith.

Not all ghosts can float through walls, in addition. Spiritomb, Sableye and the Drifloon line are four prominent examples.
---
Bullet Hell fan, Cave and Touhou lover. <3 Patchouli Knowledge.
Playing: DeathSmiles, Fire Emblem 8, Rune Factory 3, Digimon World Dawn, Tales of Vesperia