Question about First Strike and the Attack/Block phase

#1SikariosPosted 6/21/2009 2:19:11 PM
So if my 1/1 First Strike attacks and my opponent defends with two 1/1's, my FS will only work on one, and the other survives? This happened to me today.

Which brings me to another question about how attack/block works. This may depend on the new rules coming up, which I'm not completely grasping. . .

When declaring blockers, is it like my attacker fights them one at a time? Will my attacker do it's full damage to each of their blockers? Do blockers' power and toughness somehow combine? This is confusing me a little, if someone can break it down real noob-style for me I would appreciate it!
---
I am not allowed to make fun of you because it is clearly not a fair fight. - JMJom
#2MonopomanPosted 6/21/2009 2:27:03 PM
First Stirke just means that the 1/1 deals its damage before any other creature unless that creature also has first strike.

So if two 1/1s block a 1/1 first strike you will kill one of the 1/1s before it can attack and the one left standing will kill your guy.

Now if he could only block with 1/1 and you attacked with your first strike guy your guy would live and his 1/1 would die.
#3TeldilPosted 6/21/2009 2:29:52 PM
For the first question the answer is yes, you can only deal 1 damage with your FStriker so you choose which blocker to kill, and then the other one will hit your FStriker since he's not dead.

When multiple blockers block you, you get to decide which one to hit first, second, third etc.
When\if you kill the first, the rest of the damage will hit the second, if its enough to kill the second, the rest will hit the 3rd, etc etc.

The blockers deal ALL their damage combined to your one creature (if there is no first strike involved).
If your creature has FS he will kill whatever he can first, then the remainig blockers will deal their damage to him.
#4TheDecepticonsPosted 6/21/2009 2:34:05 PM
when you block with more than one creature, you have to assign a blocking order, so to make it easier lets say that the 1/1s are two differant creatures

- player A attacks with a 1/1 firststrike

- player B blocks with a 1/1 black creature and a 1/1 white creature. he chooses the blocking order as the same (black than white)

- player A assigns his 1 damage to the black creature, and 0 to the white creature

- player b assigns his 2 damage

- no effects or abilitys are played by either player

- combat damage resolving step
a) Doublestrike damage(none in this example)
b) Firststrike damage- the 1/1 firststrike deals it damage to the black creature, killing it. since the black creature is dead it isnt arround during the Normal Combat damage step
C) Normal combat damage - the white creature deals his 1 damage to the firststrike 1/1, killing it

- end combat

the white 1/1 is the only one left alive

---
Proceed on your way to oblivion...
#5Sikarios(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2009 7:27:15 PM
Thanks guys, this clears up a LOT.
---
I am not allowed to make fun of you because it is clearly not a fair fight. - JMJom
#6SybrPosted 6/23/2009 12:28:16 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7SybrPosted 6/23/2009 12:29:39 AM
Sorry, TheDecepticons, but your post is not quite right in a couple of places.

1. There are two combat damage steps: First strike and Normal damage. There is no double strike damage step. Creatures with double strike just deal their damage in both first strike and normal damage steps. (If they are around for both)

2. In your example, you say that player b assigns 2 damage with his 2 creatures, but this is not the case. One of his non-first strike creatures will die before it gets a chance to assign combat damage, therefore, he will only assign 1 combat damage. It would be more correct to say this:

-player A attacks with a 1/1 first strike creature

- player B blocks with a 1/1 black creature and a 1/1 white creature. he chooses the blocking order as the same (black then white)

- player A assigns his 1 first strike damage to the black creature, and 0 to the white creature

-first strike damage resolves killing the 1/1 black creature. ( The 1/1 White creature lives.)

-player B assigns his 1 normal damage

-normal damage resolves killing player A's 1/1 creature

This may seem nit picky but, it seemed to make combat damage more complicated than it really is.
#8HardQuorPosted 6/23/2009 12:53:48 AM
1. Sybr is right, there are only 2 damage dealing steps, first strike combat damage, then normal combat damage. In fact, the first strike step doesn't even exist unless there's a creature in combat with first strike or double strike.

2. Sybr is right here, too. First strike / double strike creatures trigger a new combat step in which non-first striking creatures don't even get to assign damage, so only the black creature would get to assign damage, but not the white.

everything can be found here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules090501.pdf
#9TheDecepticonsPosted 6/23/2009 5:54:22 AM
sybr is right here. sorry i didnt mean to imply that there was a third combat step for doublestrike as its at the same time as first strike, just wanted to simplify it and get it out of the way first. although i realize that my post blaintently makes it look like 3.

looking back at it now though im trying to figure out how i came up with the combat resolution that i typed earlier, as the interaction doesnt quite work. opologies for the incorrect posting.

if anyone wants to read the rule on double strike and first strike this is the rule so you dont have to find it in the CompRules

502.28b At the start of the combat damage step, if at least one attacking or blocking creature has double strike or first strike, creatures without double strike or first strike (see rule 502.2, "First Strike") don't assign combat damage. Instead of proceeding to end of combat, the phase gets a second combat damage step to handle the remaining creatures. In the second combat damage step, surviving attackers and blockers that didn't assign combat damage in the first step, plus any creatures with double strike, assign their combat damage.
---
Proceed on your way to oblivion...