An explanation of "Adjust Controls" settings.

#1VBAD85Posted 10/8/2009 2:00:33 PM
All these are geared toward using a controller; although the concept is the same. Hope these help some people to find thier own perfect setting according to thier play style.

Steering Dead Zone = This is just when the game recognizes when you are pushing the analog stick to left or right. If the dead zone is 50% then you'll have to more the analog stick half way to the right or left to get the car to turn.

A low setting means that you won't have to move the analog stick very far to get a reaction.

Accel/Braking Dead Zone = Same as above, but the game recognizes when the button is being pushed down. 50% means you have to push the button down at least half way before the car will react.

A lower setting here will give you greater spread of pressure through the button; meaning you'll have many more "levels" of Accel and Decel.

Sensitivties = This is more like a ratio of when 100% pressure is achieved when you press the button. 100% means that as soon as the button is pressed the maximum output is obtained. (max steering lock, maximum brake pressure, maximum accel)

A lower setting here will give you same result as the dead zones. It will give you greater spread of pressure and let you have many more levels of steering, accel, and decel.

**also a higher sensitivty increases the speed at which the steering is turned to compensate for lower pressure spread.

Speed Steering Sensitivty As far as i can tell this is related to your diver returning the wheel to center after turning. I tried it at 0% and you have to manually return the wheel to center. I.E If you turn left the wheel and car will keep turning left until you turn back to the right.
#2catrocrPosted 10/8/2009 9:16:27 PM
Do you use a wheel or controller?
#3VBAD85(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2009 9:39:38 AM
I use a controller. Never wanted to risk buying a wheel and then not like it. I don't really need the realism anyway. I have a real racecar. haha.
#4ShadowXORPosted 10/9/2009 11:17:12 AM
How about a much better list directly from the developers:

Steering Deadzone - The smaller the value the smaller the deadzone. For steering wheels it is recommended to have this value at 0%. | NOTE: These next few deadzone settings for a gamepad are best-left unaltered.

Accelerator Deadzone - The basic description for all the deadzones are the same. For the initial range of motion no input is reported, and then starts when the end of he deadzone has been reached. On top of these additionl recommendations can be added.

Brake Deadzone - As above - For the initial range of motion no input is reported, and then starts when the end of he deadzone has been reached. On top of these additionl recommendations can be added.

Steering Sensitivity - This setting adjusts how sensitive the steering across the input span. With 50% sensitivity it is equally as sensitive at the beginning of the range as at the end of the range. This can make the steering feel twitchy on a game pad, thus it is recommended to have a lower sensitivy setting which makes the steering a bit less sensitive for small inputs. For a steering wheel it is recommended to have this setting at 50%.

Acceleration Sensitivity - Same as above, a value lower than 50% means the input is less sensitive in the beginning of the input span.

Braking Sensitivity - As defined above. If the default setting is not responsive enough (may well become car & performance specific), it's recommended to make slight adjustments & test.

Speed Steering Sensitivity - This setting reduces the sensitivity of steering at speed. A high value applies maximum effect to make the car stable to drive down straights with a gamepad. Lowering the value will make the car feel sensitive and twitchy at higher speeds. For a multiturn steering wheel it is recommended to set this value to 0%, for other wheels a value around 50% is recommended.

Inverse Shifting - Reverses the default controller shift buttons.

Camera Y Axis - Inverts the R-stick camera movement in game.

Wheel Lock - This determines how much of the available turn to turn lock to use for the steering wheel. On consoles this is set in degrees measured from lock to lock. On PC it is set as a percentage of the steerings wheels available lock. This can be fine tuned to suit the players preference, with less lock giving more sensitive steering, with too much lock the car will feel unresponsive.

FF Strength - Determines the strength of the force feedback effects, 0 means effects are muted, 10 gives the strongest effects.
---
Gamertag: ShadowXOR
#5catrocrPosted 10/9/2009 1:14:19 PM
I think all you really need to know is the Steering Sensitivity value if you are using a gamepad. That value is 25% default, but I set it to 0% and man it's great control now. Still not the best, but I have great range of motion for finer inputs now. The only problem is that my game is so buggy it won't let me SAVE the control settings now, so every time I play the game I have to set it from 25% to 0%. :(
#6VBAD85(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2009 7:14:34 PM
I've seen that description and a lot of people were still confused by it, so I tried to put it into simple terms as best I could.
#7utordePosted 10/9/2009 7:31:20 PM
I've seen that description and a lot of people were still confused by it, so I tried to put it into simple terms as best I could.

You did a much better job. For people who have never seen any settings like this, your explanation is a whole lot easier to understand. I've had games with these options before, I pretty much understood them anyway, but your explanation even helped me, so I know it should help others who have never seen anything like this.

---
It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much about the problem. - Malcolm Forbes (1919-1990)
#8VBAD85(Topic Creator)Posted 10/9/2009 7:54:17 PM
Great thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it helped. The original description uses a lot of developer terms and and doesn't explain exactly what a deadzone is very well.

Some people though like to post "whats better" and offer no original opinions or explanations.
#9catrocrPosted 10/10/2009 9:40:34 AM
Dead zones are absolutely worthless. They mean something to PC gamers because with the many different kinds of controllers people can use, sometimes they are not calibrated to a certain standard.

But Xbox 360 controllers, even the 3rd party units, are all pretty much calibrated the same--so that makes adjusting the dead zone worthless UNLESS you are using a racing wheel, which few people actually do. Racing wheels vary more in calibration from brand to brand than gamepads.

Forza 2, and now Forza 3 (if the demo represents the final game, which I KNOW it does), only allows you to change the dead zone. When do you want your sensitivity, now or later? That's really what it means and it's worthless.

But the Steering Sensitivity setting--wow, SMS finally got it right. But the default should have been 0%, not 25%. That would have made people feel a lot better with the game right out of the box.
#10VBAD85(Topic Creator)Posted 10/10/2009 12:10:02 PM
The only problem is that my game is so buggy it won't let me SAVE the control settings now, so every time I play the game I have to set it from 25% to 0%. :(

I get this too, but not every time. I start the game and start racing and go "WTF?!, what the hell is worn gwith my car" (as i swide swipe every other car in the start)

Idk i can feel a difference in dead zone on ym controller. I guess it could be the sensitivity though I've never tried just changin one at a time. Even the dead zones at 0 i can still push down my button lightly and it doesn't recognize it though, whcih sucks especially when you need just a light feather brake to keep a good line or running into someone on your outside.