Hunting FAQ v1

#1ZerrotolerancePosted 5/27/2010 10:47:50 AMmessage detail
Hello,

Welcome to my Hunting FAQ for RDR.

Now to start there are a few things I need to say. This is not a complete guide of every location and every animal located in that area. This guide lists the animals in ABC order and usually 2-3 places where they are most commonly found. It will also tell you how rare they are and what time of day to look for them. All of these areas have been tested and you can encounter the creature you are looking for there. This is only the first version of the guide and it will be updated if there are better areas to find certain animals. I spent a lot of time looking for animals to make this guide, but the posts on gamefaqs about certain rare animals and RDR Wiki helped out a great deal. So, thank you!

Lastly, a few rules of hunting….

1.Always pay attention to the sounds around you. In this game sound is as important as sight.
Each animal makes a unique sound which will help you identify it. Smaller enemies can be hard
to see, but if you listen for them you know they are near. You can also tell the different between
wolves and coyote’s this way.

2.If you can’t find a certain animal during the day time, rest until night, then look. Some enemies
are nocturnal and become much more common in the night. Certain animals sometimes only
come out at dusk and dawn like raccoons.

3.If you kill all of your prey in an area, ride far away, rest and come back. This should cause them
to re-spawn. If not, save your game, then reload. They should spawn again after this.

4.Bait can be a life saver. Always carry bait on you and don’t take it for granted. It can cut time from
2 hours hunting something to 10 minutes. Bait is also helpful to set traps for powerful enemies
such as cougars and bears. This is probably the best way to get the knife challenges on these
enemies.

5.Smaller enemies are hard to spot when you’re flying by on your horse. If you are hunting smaller
prey you need to walk through areas slowly. I even dismount my horse and walk around on foot
sometimes. If you lose a smaller enemy in bushes, don’t try to run in and find it, instead look at
the bushes because the one he is in will rustle back and forth.

6.High power guns(rifles and shotguns) can blow small enemies into so many pieces they pretty
much vaporize, so you can’t skin them. Use less powerful guns for smaller enemies and higher
powered guns for larger enemies.

7.Auto aim can be of enormous help hunting. If you somehow lose an enemy in brush, point in the
direction and it might lock right on to it.

Finally, the list....
---
Please do not post until this signature is gone....
#2Zerrotolerance(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 10:51:22 AMmessage detail
American Buffalo (Anytime)

Common - Found in Great Plains

Note: There are a limited number of Buffalo, as you can tell by the Achievement/ Trophy.
I have not done this achievement yet, so I am not sure if they will re-spawn after a certain
period of time or if they go extinct after you kill the last one. Hopefully someone else can clear
this up.

***********************************************************************************************************

Armadillo (Anytime)

Very Common- Armadillo (Outside Town, Look for Armadillo on map)
Very Common – South of Escalera (Look for Armadillo on map)
Very Common- South of Casa Madrugada (Look for Armadillo on map)
Common – Everywhere

***********************************************************************************************************

Beaver (Anytime)

Very Common – Aurora Basin
Common – North of Tall Trees

Note: Can only be found in West Elizabeth, mostly near water.

Bighorn Sheep (Anytime)

Very Common – Tall Trees (South End)
Very Common – South of Casa Madrugada (Look for Bighorn on map)

Note: I have seen these wandering around in weird places, but only 1 at a time.
( Ex. I killed one north of Gaptooth Ridge, but couldn’t find another.)

**********************************************************************************************************

Boars (Afternoon- Night)

Very Common- North of McFarlane’s Ranch (Look for Boar on map)
Very Common – Southeast Corner of West Elizabeth (Look for Boar on map)
Common – Stillwater Creek

Note: Usually 4-5 in all places, but almost never early to mid-day. WATCH OUT FOR
COUGARS IN 1ST AREA!

**********************************************************************************************************

Bobcat (Anytime)

Very Common – South of Chuparosa (Look for Bobcat on map)
Very Common – Tall Trees
Common – Found in random places across Mexico as well

Note: Bobcats are extremely fast and hard to target. I found it easier to enter Dead Eye
and target that way, other wise they usually escape. Auto target doesn’t seem to work
on them and unless you have great reaction time and quick aiming they can be challenging
to kill.

Bucks (Anytime)

Very Common – Riley’s Charge (Look for Buck on Map)
Very Common – Around Fort Mercer (Look for Buck on Map)
Very Common – Great Plains (Look for Buck on Map)
Common – Everywhere

Bulls (Anytime)

Very Common – See Cattle

Cattle (Anytime)

Very Common – On Ranches

Note: Usually found in herds grazing. You can also find them in and outside of towns
and ranches. They do count towards the Unnatural Selection achievement.

---
Please do not post until this sig is gone....
#3Zerrotolerance(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 10:55:57 AMmessage detail
Chicken (Anytime)

Very Common – Most towns (I have yet to see a wild one, but maybe)

Coyotes (Anytime, More at Night)

Very Common – Hanging Rock
Very Common – Stillwater Creek
Common – Everywhere

Note: They attack you from time to time, so they are hard to miss. They can be difficult to tell
apart from Wolves, but are usually smaller, sound different, and have different colored coats.
You will learn to tell the difference with experience.

Cougars (Anytime, I’ve encounter most in the daytime)

Very Common – North of McFarlane’s Ranch (Look for Hog on map)
Very Common – Rio Bravo
Very Common – East of Plainview(On the Road to Mexico)

Note: Cougars are considered one of the most dangerous, if not the most dangerous,
animals in the game. They will sneak right up without warning and can take down your
horse in one hit and usually you with 1-2 hits. Be cautious when in their territory.
(READ- SAVE YOUR GAME!) They often travel in two’s. If you kill one the other will attack
next, so wait to kill both before you skin one. I have been killed multiple times by these
guys, so will you!

Crows (Anytime)

Very Common – Everywhere

Note: Just look up and you’re probably staring at a crow. If no birds are in the sky, you can
usually fire off a few shots into bushes to get them airborne. You can also ride close to them
to accomplish this.

Deer (Anytime)

Very Common – See Buck
Very Common – Everywhere

Note: Deer are among the most common animals along with horse and wolves. You should
have no trouble finding them. If you are looking for large groups of deer then go to wear the
Buck pictures are on the map.

Dogs (Anytime)

Very Common – In Towns
Common – Traveling with people

Note: There are no wild dogs in the game. They always have owners and are the only animal
you can’t shoot under any circumstances without receiving a bounty. They also aren’t required
for the Unnatural Selection achievement/trophy.

Donkeys (Anytime)

Very Common – In Towns
Very Common – Traveling with people

Note: Same as dog. Usually belong to people, not wild. Donkeys also don’t count
towards Unnatural Selection Achievement/ Trophy. You can ride donkeys as well as horses
and mules.

Ducks (Anytime)

Very Common – River between America and Mexico
Very Common – Don Julio Lake (Can be found flying around here.)

Note: I don’t have a lot of experience with Ducks yet. I had to take this information from
other sources. I am sure it is accurate though.

Eagles (Anytime)

Very Common – West Elizabeth
Very Common – Mexico

Note: All birds can be found pretty much everywhere. I usually don’t find many Eagles in New
Austin.

---
#4Zerrotolerance(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 10:59:36 AMmessage detail
Elk (Anytime)

Very Common – Tall Trees
Very Common – West Elizabeth in general

Note: Only found in West Elizabeth to my knowledge.

Fox (Anytime)

Very Common – South of Beecher’s Hope (Look for fox on map)
Common – Riley’s Charge
Common – Fort Mercer
Rare – Rio Del Lobo

Note: One of the rarer animals in the game. A lot of people have trouble finding these and
it’s probably why you’re here. Just keep searching around these areas and you’ll find
enough. Once you get to West Elizabeth they are more common.

Goats (Anytime)

Very Common – In towns

Note: Goats do not count towards the Unnatural Selection Achievement/ Trophy. I think I saw a
wild one, but it might have been owned by someone nearby on it could have been a Big Horn. I
will look into this one more.

Grizzly Bears (Anytime)

Very Common – Nekoti Rock
Very Common – Tall Trees (Look for Bear on map)

Note: Only found in West Elizabeth. This guy can give the cougar a run for its money, as far
as most dangerous. They are very powerful and surprisingly fast. Bears can be extremely
aggressive as well. The only advantage over cougars is you can usually hear them coming.

Hawks (Anytime)

Very Common – Everywhere

Horses (anytime)

Very Common – Everywhere

Mules (Anytime)

Very Common – In Towns
Very Common – In Mexico Traveling with people

Note: Honestly, I thought donkeys and mules were basically the same thing. They are both
listed as being in RDR. I don’t know how to tell the difference, so good luck. Mules can be
ridden as well as horses and donkeys, but are not wild. You will have to steal one if you want
one. Mules are NOT required for Unnatural Selection Achievement/ Trophy.

Owls (Anytime, more at Night)

Very Common – South of McFarlane’s Ranch
Very Common – South of Chuparosa

Pigs (Day)

Very Common – Thieves’ Landing
Very Common – Blackwater

Note: Another animal that is always domesticated. They can only be found in towns and
never wild.

Rabbits (Anytime)

Very Common – Armadillo
Very Common – Everywhere

Note: Not hard to find at all, they can be seen in almost every area in the game.

---
#5Zerrotolerance(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 11:03:05 AMmessage detail
Raccoon (Night)

Very Common – Great Plains
Very Common - Southeast of McFarlane’s Ranch (On top and bottom of Gorge)
Common- South of Stillwater (Outside of Thieves’ landing)
Common- Around Ridgeway Farm

Note: Raccoons are another animal a lot of people have trouble finding. They can be seen
in daytime, but many more come out at night. I hunted mine around McFarlane’s ranch. They
really aren’t that rare here, but I think the hunting at night is what gets people.

Rattlesnake (Anytime)

Very Common – Hanging Rock
Very Common - Rattlesnake Hollow
Common – Arid places

Note: Snakes can be hard to spot because they hide very well in bushes and out of view. I
know they can be found around Hanging Rock, Armadillo, McFarlane’s Ranch, and many
other areas. Be careful, they are sneaky attackers and can be dangerous.

Sea Gulls (Anytime)

Very Common – Blackwater

Notes: Usually near water/docks. I have not encountered them myself, so this info was taken
from other sources. I will be confirming this at a later time.

Songbird (Anytime)

Very Common –Everywhere

Note: Songbirds, like all birds, can be hunted anywhere. They are the easiest bird to
recognize. They are usually bright blue colored.

Skunk (Anytime, more at Night)

Very Common – Cholla Springs
Very Common – Rio Del Toro
Common – Everywhere

Note: People have been having a hard time finding these, but they aren’t that rare. You will run
into a few in the day, but right around night to early morning more seem to come out. They
are found in many areas.

Vultures (Anytime)

Very Common – Everywhere

Note: There is a scene in the game, where the sheriff tells you to look to the vultures to find
where the “bad guys” just were. They tend to hover around the dead in this game. If you see
a huge gun battle, just look up, and you should find vultures. I haven’t run into too many
just hunting for birds, but if I find their nesting grounds I will update this.

Wolves (Anytime)

Very Common – Rattlesnake Hollow
Very Common – Casa Madrugada
Very Common- Everywhere

Note: You can find wolves everywhere in this game. If you are out joy riding, you won’t go
2 seconds without seeing wolves. They attack if you get to close to them and will come
running if you kill any animal to scavenge or if you kill 1 of their pack. They can be dangerous
with up to 5 attacking you at once, but alone aren’t much of a threat. If you are looking to
farm wolves for money check one of the areas above to hunt many at once.

---
#6DanShieldsPosted 5/27/2010 11:04:45 AMmessage detail
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#7Zerrotolerance(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2010 11:05:00 AMmessage detail
Ok, You may now post. Please sticky request this until a better one is made. If you have any input please share!
#8Educated IdiotPosted 5/27/2010 11:07:11 AMmessage detail
Oooooh. He almost messed it all up.... almost....

---
"I kneel only to god... And I don't see him here." John Abruzzi
#9yay4doughnutsPosted 5/27/2010 11:08:16 AMmessage detail
Beavers can also be found on the coast of the Great Plains. When you go near the sea, you're pretty much on a cliff. If you look down, you can see beavers down on the beach. I believe you can go around and find a slope to get down to the beach afterwards.
---
http://i28.tinypic.com/fwr3n8.jpg
GT:Orangeotan HG FC: 2622 5274 8862
#10ZeroplayPosted 5/27/2010 11:08:20 AMmessage detail
Sticky requested, all of these count towards the unnatural selection achievement, right?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvFD2Uqr-EE