Does this take place in the same universe as GTA?

#11wwinterj25Posted 5/8/2010 5:21:20 PM
Also Bully and Manhunt 2 are set in teh same universe.
---
One who knows nothing can understand nothing - GamerTag: wwinterj/PSN wwinterj add me :D
#12medayugiohmanPosted 5/8/2010 5:22:28 PM

Well, there may be a few refrences on other games, like in IV, they showed a school on TV, that was actually Bullworth Academy from Bully. But, if there are refrences, I hope they are not a big part of the story.

#13DarthVader561(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2010 5:37:02 PM

DarthVader561 wrote: And all GTA games did take place in the same time period.
No, From the top of my head Vice City was in set in 1986. SA was set in 1992.
They are set in the same universe though. Manhunt was set in Carcer City that was also the same univerese as GTA. you can infact hear on one of the radio stations in GTA 3 that carcer city is near Liberty City.
I think it is very much possible for this to be in the same place but a different time period.

typo

All games did not take place in the same time period
---
Manager of System Of An All Gone Bad Religion
XBL: DARTH J0KER (0 is a zero)
#14NthPosted 5/8/2010 5:55:13 PM
Like Liberty City is a facsimile of New York I believe I recall it being mentioned that Carcer City was a facsimile of Detroit.

I would say Red Dead Redemption does take place in the same universe as the GTA games. Also knowing Rockstar there will be plenty of easter eggs referencing the GTA games.

---
For the end of the world, I say let it come as it will. In ice, or fire, or darkness. What did the world ever do for me that I should mind its welfare?
#15sean-carsnerPosted 5/8/2010 6:25:04 PM

RDR doesn't take place because they're using the actual location's name of mexico. GTA games however, change the name of their cities. Plus gta's universe appears to be more humorous (getalife building for example) but rdr isn't so humorous... or at least not to our knowledge yet anyways.

#16kit07Posted 5/8/2010 6:32:05 PM
well mexico is the country, i think all the cities are made up (or based off an actual city)
it's like how in gta u are still in america. just a fictional city
---
favorite new show: Ugly Americans
#17NthPosted 5/8/2010 6:33:49 PM
"GTA games however, change the name of their cities."

What about Grand Theft Auto London: 1969 and Grand Theft Auto London 1961?

---
For the end of the world, I say let it come as it will. In ice, or fire, or darkness. What did the world ever do for me that I should mind its welfare?
#18sean-carsnerPosted 5/8/2010 7:04:37 PM

you know what, you're right. they didn't change the name of the london gtas... but those don't really count because there... old and 2d :P

#19waywardandwearyPosted 5/8/2010 7:27:25 PM
I believe all Grand Theft Auto games are in the same universe. Even IV if you bothered listening to Lazlow closely enough and read certain bits of graffiti (Tommy/CJ is still my hero). Manhunt and Bully are also definitely set in the Grand Theft Auto universe.

It's probably a safe guess that Redemption is also in universe. I've also heard that in Redemption people will tell tales of Red Harlow around the campfire.
#20KaiGillamPosted 5/8/2010 8:49:08 PM

There's no way to know right now. We'll have to wait and see if there are any references to Liberty City, Carcer City, Vice City, San Fierro, Los Santos or Las Venturas. Las Venturas should be a very, very new settlement during the time of RDR, so I'd expect to see something written about it in the paper, maybe.

I can think of a few other possibilities for references, too. Maybe Sprunk is the GTA Universe's version of Coca-cola, and maybe it'll exist in RDR? Who knows.