~~Official Final Fantasy IV: The After Years Board Guide~~ (READ BEFORE POSTING)

#1Super SlashPosted 6/11/2009 6:14:43 PMmessage detail
NOTE: This topic WILL contain slight spoilers.

This topic will contain all of the necessary information for Final Fantasy IV: The After Years for newcomers and others. Please, as the topic title says, read through this topic before asking a question. If your question is not answered, feel free to ask someone in this topic for an answer. With that said, here are the table of contents. Use Ctrl + F (Apple if you're on a Mac) and type in the key in the brackets to quickly jump to a question for any answer you're looking for.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

I. General Questions

1. What exactly is this game? [GQ01]
2. How many chapters are there, and when will they be released? [GQ02]
3. Are the character chapters required for download to beat the game? [GQ03]
4. How does importing your data work? [GQ04]
5. Will this ever be available for download on the DSiWare? [GQ05]
6. If I've never played the original Final Fantasy IV, will I enjoy this? [GQ06]
7. Is it worth paying $37 for the whole game? [GQ07]
8. How many blocks will this game take up on my Wii? [GQ08]

II. Gameplay Questions

1. How long will the main story last in total? [QS01]
2. Is there anything else to do after finishing the stories while waiting on more chapters? [QS02]
3. What are Band Attacks and how do I use them? [QS03]
4. Where can I farm for the Goblin/Cockatrice/Bomb/Mindflayer summon(s)? [QS04]
5. Are the two characters in Rydia's chapter repairable? [QS05]
6. What is the level cap for each character in the main story and Rydia's chapter? [QS06]
7. What are the Challenge Dungeons? [QS07]
8. Where are all of the Kokkol Ores located? [QS08]

III. Credits and Special Thanks

1. Credits and Special Thanks [CRSP]

----------------------------
I. General Questions
----------------------------

1. What exactly is this game? [GQ01]

A direct sequel to the original Final Fantasy IV. It was originally released on mobile phones in Japan on February 18th, 2008, and it was released episodically (one new chapter of the game came out each month). On June 1st, 2009, this game became available to citizens of the US, and is also being released episodically. Unlike the Japanese version, the game is being released in three chapters per month (the main story, which is the initial 800 point download, consists of three chapters of the Japanese version combined into one). The final chapter will be released in September, which will be 800 points, much like the main story. This game was released in Europe on June 5th and is being released in the same manner as the US version.

2. How many chapters are there, and when will they be released? [GQ02]

Not counting six chapters (three of the main story and three of the finale) since they were combined into a single chapter, there are a total of nine chapters. There are seven character chapters. Below is some information on said chapters and when they will be released (all credit goes to Firionel20 for this thorough information):

Final Fantasy IV: The After Years (Main Story)

Release Date: 06/01/09 (United States), 06/05/09 (Europe)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Note: This download is required in order to do *anything* with the actual game, since it *is* the game. When you download it, you are able to start the game and finish half of the main story.
#2Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2009 6:15:05 PMmessage detail
Rydia's Tale - The Eidolons Shackled

Release Date: 06/01/09 (United States), 06/05/09 (Europe)
Price: 300 Wii Points
Note: You do not have to finish this story, but it is recommended that you do so that you can gain extra levels for your characters, as well as extra items and Gil to be ported over to the final chapter. You will also be able to get the full experience of the game and story this way.

Yang's Tale - The Master of Fabul

Release Date: 07/06/09 (United States), 07/10/09 (Europe)
Note: You do not have to finish this story, but it is recommended that you do so that you can gain extra levels for your characters, as well as extra items and Gil to be ported over to the final chapter. You will also be able to get the full experience of the game and story this way.

Palom's Tale - The Mage's Voyage

Edge's Tale - The Pulse of Babil

Porom's Tale - The Vanished Lunar Whale

Release Date: 08/03/09 (United States), 08/07/09 (Europe)

Edward's Tale - Star-Crossed Damcyan

The Lunarians' Tale - The Blue Planet That Was

The Crystals - The Planet Eater

Release Date: 09/07/09 (United States), 09/11/09 (Europe)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Note: This and the main 800-point download are the *only* ones required to finish the game. However, if you finish all of the character chapters and save the data for each on a seperate file, you will be able to port all of your items, character levels, Gil, and anything else I may be forgetting over to this chapter. Highly recommended.
#3Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2009 6:16:14 PMmessage detail
3. Are the character chapters required for download to beat the game? [GQ03]

As stated in question #2, no, but it is highly recommended that you download and beat them.

4. How does importing your data work? [GQ04]

You must save each character's tale AND the main story on a seperate file. Once the final chapter is released, you'll be able to import everything over from those files.

5. Will this ever be available for download on the DSiWare? [GQ05]

Probably not, sorry. You'll more than likely have to get a Wii in order to ever play this game, unless you happen to live in Japan or something.

6. If I've never played the original Final Fantasy IV, will I enjoy this? [GQ06

Chances are, you won't. Remember, this game is a direct sequel to the original, so the game assumes you are already familiar with all of the old characters and their pasts. In fact, the original will be spoiled a bit if you play this game first. So, what are you waiting for? If you haven't already, go find a copy and beat it!

7. Is it worth paying $37 for the whole game? [GQ07]

Considering the other chapters aren't released yet, and this is a matter of opinion, this question can't really be answered.

8. How many blocks will this game take up on my Wii? [GQ08]

In total, 117.

--------------------------------
II. Gameplay Questions
--------------------------------

1. How long will the main story last in total? [QS01]

The first half of the story will likely last you anywhere between three and a half to five hours, but it really depends on how fast/slow you are and how much grinding you do and such. By just going through it casually, 3-5 hours is a good estimate.

2. Is there anything else to do after finishing the stories while waiting on more chapters? [QS02]

Sure there is. You can always try the Challenge Dungeons (after grinding a bit to prepare for them) for some decent items. You can try them as many times as you'd like, too. Also, you could farm for the summoning items if you feel like it.

3. What are Band Attacks and how do I use them? [QS03]

Think Dual/Triple Techs from Chrono Trigger/Cross. If you've never played either of those games, they're basically co-operative attacks (a single attack that involves more than one party member). They can be pretty useful for bosses, but are in no way required. To use them, when a command window comes up for a character, press Right on the D-Pad and you'll see the Band option. Choose it and then you'll have to input the commands you want to try for the party members. I will list all of the Band Attacks below (NOTE: Band Attacks that are obtained through story events do not need any commands to be used; you can just select them from a list). Credit goes to the FF Wiki for this information.

***CONTAINS SLIGHT SPOILERS***

Ceodore's Chapter

Vibra Edge
Characters: Biggs, Wedge
Commands: Fight (Biggs), Fight (Wedge)
Event Band: No

Holy Blade
Characters: Cecil, Rosa
Commands: Fight (Cecil), White Magic (Rosa)

Machine Break
Characters: Cecil, Cid
Commands: Fight (Cecil), Analyze (Cid)

Cross Slash
Characters: Ceodore, Hooded Man
Commands: N/A
Event Band: Yes
#4Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2009 6:16:51 PMmessage detail
True Cross Slash
Characters: Ceodore, Kain
Commands: Fight (Ceodore), Fight (Kain)

Saint Dive
Characters: Rosa, Kain
Commands: White Magic (Rosa), Jump (Kain)

X-Chaser
Characters: Rosa (Bow required), Cid
Commands: Aim (Rosa), Analyze (Cid)

Divine Heal
Characters: Rosa, Ceodore
Commands: Blessing (Rosa), White Magic (Ceodore)

Rocket Weapon
Characters: Cid, Ceodore
Commands: Analyze (Cid), Fight (Ceodore)

Rydia's Tale - The Eidolons Shackled

Lightning Brain Buster
Characters: Rydia, Luca
Commands: Black Magic (Rydia), Fight (Luca)

Calca and Brina
Characters: Calca, Brina
Commands: Jig (Calca), Dance (Brina)

Go! Calcabrina
Characters: Luca, Calca, Brina
Commands: Fight (Luca), Jig (Calca), Dance (Brina)

4. Where can I farm for the Goblin/Cockatrice/Bomb/Mindflayer summon(s)? [QS04]

Unless you want to wait until the final chapter to import the summoning items, I recommend you farm for them in Rydia's chapter. Goblins can be found west of the Dwarven Castle (you must take the basement exit to get there), Mindflayers can be found in the area with the healing pot in the Agart Mine, and Cockatrices can be found on B2 in the Sylph Cave. Finally, Balloons can be found in Rydia's Challenge Dungeon in the room before the last save point. Just walk around until you find them in a random encounter. As for Ceodore's chapter, Goblins can be found on the Adamant Isle or north of Mount Ordeals. Cockartrices are found on the world map near Baron (first visit only), and by Mist. Mindflayers are on B2 of the Mist Cave, and Bombs can be found in the Ancient Castle (the Challenge Dungeon for Ceodore). It will more than likely take a long time to find the items, but just keep at it.

5. Are the two characters in Rydia's chapter repairable? [QS05]

Yes, but you need three items to do it: the Mythril Spring, Mythril Bolt, and Mythril Nut. To find the spring, search the pot on B4 of the Agart Mine. For the bolt and nut, make sure the Moon Phase is Waning. Then, head to the rock-filled room through the northern door near the entrance to B4 of the mine. The room is empty, but during the Waning Moon phase, you'll find Quarto Puppets. They drop the Mythril Bolt and Nut; just keep fighting them until you get it. With all three items in hand, Luca will automatically repair the dolls at the end of the chapter.

6. What is the level cap for each character in the main story and Rydia's chapter? [QS06]

For Ceodore's chapter, Level 50 for everyone (with the exception of Cecil, which is 30). For Rydia's chapter, 40 for everyone, including Calca and Brina.
#5Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2009 6:17:22 PMmessage detail
7. What are the Challenge Dungeons? [QS07]

They are dungeons that can only be accessed after finishing a chapter. You might notice Namingway during a chapter, and that when you talk to him, he tells you to come back later. Talk to him after finishing the chapter and he'll let you enter the Challenge Dungeon. In Ceodore's chapter, Namingway is located in the Pub. For Rydia's chapter, he's blocking the door of the empty building to the north in Agart. These dungeons are difficult; it is recommended that you grind a bit before trying to take them on. Once Rydia has Bio, however, hers gets easier. Keep in mind that the enemies in Rydia's dungeon can be Stopped. There is a boss at the end of each dungeon, as well, and you'll get a random prize for defeating the bosses. You can replay the dungeons as many times as you like.

8. Where are all of the Kokkol Ores located, and what are they for? [QS08]

The Kokkol Ores can be carried to Kokkol the Smith. You can find his house in the underworld *only* during Rydia's chapter. Fly to the southeastern edge of the map and look for a small building surrounded by mountains. He will forge equipment for you if you give him the ores and a weaker version of the weapon you want forged. With that said, here's a list of the ores:

1) In the bookshelf in the library, to the left of the teleportal that takes you to Leviathan and Asura's room.
2) In the Sealed Cave, B3. Defeat the Trap Door along the western side of the room, then examine the skeleton in the following room.
3) In the Sealed Cave, also on B3. Inside the room with the treasure, examine the lower-right box.
4) In the fireplace at Kokkol's Forge.
5) In the infirmary in the Dwarven Castle. Examine the desks and you'll find it.
6) In a suit of armor in the eastern tower of the Dwarven Castle.
7) In a suit of armor in the underground base of the Dwarven Castle.
8) In the storeroom in Tomra.
9) Also in the storeroom in Tomra.
10) In a suit of armor in the Armor Shop at Tomra.
11) Inside a chest in the Sylph Cave.
12) Inside a pot in the corner by the Sylph's cabin in the Sylph cave.

------------------------------------------
III. Credits and Special Thanks
------------------------------------------

1. Credits and Special Thanks

I would like to thank several users from the Final Fantasy IV: The After Years board for providing information that made it possible to make this guide. The users/site(s) I would like to thank are (sorry if I forget anyone!):

Action, for allowing me to create this since he was going to do it originally.
zigzagzarf and others, for providing information on the location of the Kokkol Ores.
Lordzoltor, JGPJR79, and Emmya, for providing information on where to farm for the item summons for Rydia.
Shadorr, for telling me to include information on how to repair Calca and Brina.
shadow chao 10, for telling me to include information on the item summons.
FF Wiki, for the list of Bands and for tons of other information the site has in general.
Firionel20, for the information on the chapter releases and such.

I hope this guide helps out any newcomers and the like! I plan to update it monthly as soon as more chapters are released and we get some information on them and such. Feel free to tell me if I missed anything.
---
Nu's are so pointless - Eatin_Kirby
Nu's are round so of course they are pointless. - BDza
#6Vinchenz_RockPosted 6/11/2009 6:22:58 PMmessage detail
Great topic! Requested for sticky!
---
"and im not a troll im human wtf u must be superstitous" - D_Fen_Door
Won't change sig until Dragon Quest IX comes in NA. 12/20/06
#7ActionPosted 6/11/2009 7:25:58 PMmessage detail
Sticky request made.
---
TGAFF7SB Commando www.varisangel.net
C-C-C-C-CONDOM BRE- Your dog?! - Maestro of Darkness
#8BoNeMaRoPosted 6/11/2009 8:52:43 PMmessage detail
One thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that you can get the Cockatrice summon drop from the birds on Adamant Isle (Hellflayers, I think). They also spawn north of Mt. Ordeals. I find this faster because you can encounter Goblins at the same time so if you need both of those it would definitely be quicker. Also, sticky request made.
#9Super Slash(Topic Creator)Posted 6/11/2009 8:54:08 PMmessage detail
Hmm, sorry about that.

Thanks for the sticky requests. Keep them coming!
---
Nu's are so pointless - Eatin_Kirby
Nu's are round so of course they are pointless. - BDza
#10XX-XALBERTX-XXPosted 6/11/2009 9:16:17 PMmessage detail
that took a long time to get stickyed
---
"Hey-chicka-bum-bum!"-Caboose, Red VS Blue
"All I know is that it was slimy and it had lotsa teeth."-Church, Red VS Blue