RE5DX9.exe has encountered an error and needs to close/GFWL problem

#1drew081886Posted 9/6/2010 4:21:48 PM
I keep getting this error message and the game shuts down (RE5DX9.exe has encountered an error and needs to close). The game runs completely fine up until the error message. I've scoured the internet and found no solutions. Anyone have any idea?

Also, I can't for the life of me figure out where to enter the product key for this game. The game will not let me sign into GFWL because I haven't entered the key, but I have to sign into GFWL to enter the key, right? And if I'm not signed into GFWL, why is it letting me save the game and awarding me achievements?
#2ClaptonvaughnPosted 9/6/2010 5:12:04 PM
That error message can mean almost anything.

What are you doing, in the game, when it happens? Is there any consistent action that causes it? Triggering a cutscene, a particular enemy, etc?
#3BlueRamzaPosted 9/6/2010 9:32:57 PM
Re install the Resident Evil 5 from scratch. Make sure to go into control panel 1st and use "programs and features" to un install the game.

9 times out of 10 it was a error with your files.

If this is the first time you are running Resident Evil 5, you should make sure you have the latest version of Direct X install and make sure your Documents ----> Capcom ----> RESIDENT EVIL 5 ---->config file is set to same resolution as the monitor your using, especially if you have hook up your computer up to an HD TV. (Mine is set to a resolution of 1920x1080.)
---
Genma urged,"Come along, Master. We'll find you a nice bordello to raid in the red light district."
Happosai TRAITOR, YOU-did you say Bordello?
#4drew081886(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2010 2:24:40 AM
@Claptonvaughn

There is no rhyme or reason to when the crashes occur. I've had it happen during a boss fight, and I've had it happen when I was just walking with no action going on on the screen whatsoever. I've even had it happen when I wasn't doing anything and had the controller set down.

@Blueramza
I'm going to try re-installing and setting the monitor resolution as suggested. We'll see how that goes. Would this also be the reason GFWL won't let me sign in to enter the product key?
#5drew081886(Topic Creator)Posted 9/7/2010 7:28:51 AM
Uninstalled and reinstalled completely and that didn't help. It went for a longer period of time without crashing but it still crashed. I don't get the "RE5DX9.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message anymore. It just closes to the desktop. When I go into the config file and set the screen resolution, do I set it to the native resolution of the monitor or to the resolution I play with? I have a 1080p monitor but running 1080p or 720p makes games run slow so I run it at 1028x768. Which resolution do I enter?
#6BlueRamzaPosted 9/7/2010 6:31:44 PM
"Which resolution do I enter?"

You should be entering the exact same resolution as the monitor or you can use the Nvidia "Networking" in control panel to change the resolution of monitor to match your config file.

---
Genma urged,"Come along, Master. We'll find you a nice bordello to raid in the red light district."
#7drew081886(Topic Creator)Posted 9/8/2010 10:50:51 AM
I entered my screen resolution in the config file and it still crashes. The game runs fine and then it just closes to the desktop out of nowhere.
#8BlueRamzaPosted 9/8/2010 8:58:05 PM
Hmm, it must be something else.... have you already install the Nvidia PhysX? What graphic's card are you using?
---
#9drew081886(Topic Creator)Posted 9/9/2010 5:42:58 AM
My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200+
3GB of RAM
nVidia GeForce 210 with 1GB of V-RAM

My GPU doesn't support PhysX (according to nVidia's website) so that's not it. I know my computer's not exactly high end, but it runs other games like Batman: Arkham Asylum (on medium settings) and even the beast Grand Theft Auto IV (on low settings) just fine with no crashes or freezes or anything. And like I said, Resident Evil 5 runs perfectly up until it crashes. It's not like it stutters or freezes or anything before it crashes. That leads me to believe it's not my system being incapable of running the game. I just have no idea what it could be.
#10BlueRamzaPosted 9/9/2010 7:29:52 PM
There's your issue, your processor is only AMD Athlon 64 X2 3200+

Resident Evil 5 Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Memory: 1 Gb
Hard Drive: 8 Gb free
Video Memory: 256 Mb
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 6800 / ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
DirectX: 9.0c

---