Stick use

#1thesolidsharkPosted 8/19/2009 1:42:13 PM
Here's something I haven't heard anyone talking about yet (unless I missed an old topic), who else is playing XII with a stick, and if so, how's it handling for you with which stick?

---
"You interfered with a well-laid plan."
"Yeah, well you can stick you well-laid plan up your well-laid a**"
#2sillysonyfanboyPosted 8/19/2009 1:50:51 PM
I use a Hori stick. It's mediocre. However, I still find the game plays substantially better with an arcade stick--even a mediocre one.

I'll eventually get around to ordering a Mas Systems stick (www.massystems.com). Most tournament-level players I know swear by Mas sticks. The company is backed up because of the recent slew of fighting games, though.
---
"No, I will never fail you, through to the end--your guardian standing by your side or worlds away!" --Apollo in "The Eumenides "
#3dothack102Posted 8/19/2009 2:21:21 PM
I thought MAS has input lag issues with next gen consoles?

I use a custom stick full of Happ parts (like a MAS) with a Cthulu PCB. That's primarily what I used for XII when I was actually playing it. Surprisingly, it also works fairly well with BB and SF4. I built it for SF and Marvel, BTW. It's got concave buttons for that authentic arcade feel.

I also have a Madcatz TE. I'm toying with the idea of busting up my HFS3, T5 and a no-name Dreamcast stick to make a universal Seimitsu setup, but it'll be a few months before I get started on that project.
---
To know what is right and do otherwise is not weakness. It is cowardice. Bushido Shoshinshu
PSN: dothack102
#4sillysonyfanboyPosted 8/19/2009 2:27:25 PM
I thought MAS has input lag issues with next gen consoles?

Hmmm...very possible. I've only ever used their sticks on the Dreamcast or PlayStation 2. Since the new consoles have come out, I've had significantly less time to play games. So, my information about Mas might be a bit rusty. Still, I've only heard good about the company--even recently.
---
"No, I will never fail you, through to the end--your guardian standing by your side or worlds away!" --Apollo in "The Eumenides "
#5sillysonyfanboyPosted 8/19/2009 2:29:51 PM
By the way, if you know a few Mas alternatives (in addition to the one already mentioned) I'm very interested.
---
#6dothack102Posted 8/19/2009 2:31:12 PM
I just remember hearing about it before HDRemix and SF4 came out. I investigated MAS several years ago and decided that if I ever wanted to go the custom route, then I'd just build my own. So eventually I did.

Badabing, it's sweet. I just hope my Seimitsu setup is half as good when I get it done.
---
To know what is right and do otherwise is not weakness. It is cowardice. Bushido Shoshinshu
#7dothack102Posted 8/19/2009 2:37:31 PM
MAS alternatives? As in American-style Happ/IL? None that are any good, unless you get someone to build it for you. Arcade-in-a-box I hear is okay, but it might be better to get something done by someone from SRK.

Now if you're going to expand to include Japanese-style, HRAP3 SA and Madcatz TE are the way to go. If you're going cheap now with an eye toward upgrading later, get the Madcatz SE so you can pop Sanwa or Seimitsu parts in no problem. If you get a HFS3, it's a pain to mod.

If you're going to pick up Tekken 6, you might want to try the bundle but be warned. Nobody has seen the inside of that stick yet and it's wireless (the hard way, with a USB receiver plugged into the PS3) and requires AA batteries. I don't know if you can just plug it in with a cable or if you're forced wireless only. Probably going to have input lag from the receiver and have crap stick and buttons, with those buttons soldered directly to the PCB like the T5US and HFS3. Once they start to give out, you're SOL unless you've got advanced modding skills.
---
#8sillysonyfanboyPosted 8/19/2009 2:41:42 PM
^^Kind of making me wish I got the tournament edition "Street Fighter IV" stick.
---
#9dothack102Posted 8/19/2009 2:46:05 PM
IIRC, TEs are still available to order and will be for at least a little while longer.

The only thing that's not quality about the TE is the PCB, and that's easily replaceable. Just order a Cthulu solder-less from LizardLick or some other site. I haven't heard of the PCBs failing, though. They are not BC with PS2 titles, if you're one of the lucky few that have a BC PS3. The HRAP3 and SA are BC.
---
#10dothack102Posted 8/19/2009 2:52:11 PM
Cthulu might be BC, but I don't know. My PS3 isn't BC.
---