How do you clear Cap Penalties?

#1LegendRyderPosted 3/9/2010 9:40:05 AM

Hey guys, I love playing franchise mode and re building teams. However, if I cut players with a signing bonuses, I would get a cap penalty. How would I go about clearing or paying off this penalty. Or, how long would it take for the penalty to just go away? Also, if I trade a player with a signing bonus, will I be penalized?

#2haveitdownpatPosted 3/9/2010 10:17:55 AM
whenever you cut or trade a player with a signing bonus, that amount will effect your cap the following season.

it clears after every season.

i don't know about retired players.. does anyone else know?
---
NY Giants, Super Bowl 42 Champions
#3LegendRyder(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2010 11:31:51 AM
Oh, so the penalty only counts for the following season? I thought it stays with you for like...ever. Sweet, thanks.
#4SupremeXtremePosted 3/10/2010 1:40:18 PM
trade your players with the highest cap salary

(one year i had to trade Chris Snee due to his 10M cap salary)
---
***L.E.D.***
D Ware is ready to take Jacobs's starting job in the 2010 season :)
#5haveitdownpatPosted 3/10/2010 1:41:26 PM
When you trade, don't you get the cap hit the next year? Just as if you were releasing them?
---
#6SupremeXtremePosted 3/10/2010 1:43:26 PM
nope, you and the team trade the contracts (including bonus), so if you have a 10m cap salary and 3m bonus, the other team takes the 13m that year for whatever you're trading for (be it a pick, or a 1m contract)

if you did that, you're basically getting 12m back for whatever you want
---
***L.E.D.***
D Ware is ready to take Jacobs's starting job in the 2010 season :)
#7BestGamerEverPosted 3/10/2010 5:16:04 PM
Actually, you are wrong Supreme. As when I trade for Stafford I end up paying him 5mil a year because the other team eats the bonus as a cap hit the next season and I only hafta pay him his base. The other poster was correct, when you trade a player any remaining bonus due on their contract becomes a cap penalty for you the next year.
---
Go Philly sports teams!
#8BestGamerEverPosted 3/10/2010 5:18:10 PM
o yeah, forgot to say, along with the other guy being right that the cap hit is the same as you releasing that player, it makes it really easy to check your potential cap penalty by going to release that player and see what the penalty would be when you release him, as thats the penalty you get for trading him.

i use this to my advantage as like i said in my other post i'll trade for rookies like matt stafford or computer generated top 10 players so i pay them a lot less than i would just by drafting them.
---
Go Philly sports teams!
#9haveitdownpatPosted 3/10/2010 6:20:09 PM
Cool :) Supreme 0, Pat 1

BestGamerEver, what about retired players? Say you have X under contract for 2 years with a bonus. he decides to retire after the first year of the contract. Do you eat the bonus? Or does it become nullified?

Anyone know?
---
#10BestGamerEverPosted 3/14/2010 8:13:12 AM
not sure about retired players, if i had to guess i would say that you wouldn't get penalized for their remaining bonus.
---
Go Philly sports teams!