Feasts: Cheating or Playing Smart?

#1kimarousPosted 4/26/2010 10:03:02 PM

I've recently discovered that feasts are very, VERY easy to abuse. When a feast is being held in town (as opposed to in a random castle), a tournament is held in the same town. Here's what I've found out... as long as the feast is going, tournaments will keep being held during the feast, even if you won the last one! If you win a tournament at a feast (and presumably dedicating it to a lady of your choice at said feast), then run around for a little bit and return; if a tournament isn't held at the moment, it will soon. Rinse and repeat as long as the feast is going. You'll get buttloads of cash and renown, as well as a decent amount of romantic progression!

#2samuricexPosted 4/27/2010 1:01:00 AM
It's not a cheat. It says it somewhere that a tournament is held once a day during a feast.
---
"Boo points, I punch!"
#3kimarous(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2010 10:38:09 AM
I'm talking about multiple times a day, though...
#4HudaPosted 4/27/2010 10:56:58 AM
I am having trouble in surving 1 tourny for 1 minute. They take all the dang armor away and even change the bloody weapon!

What does it take to win a tourny? I mean level, stats, etc. Or is it just skill based thingy?

---
This line is here because some people tend to ignore the last para.
#5NateTheWormPosted 4/27/2010 11:54:01 AM
Pretty much skill. Once you get more health or weapon skill it gets easier, but it's entirely possible to win at level 1. Just play smart - stay with your team and pick off vulnerable enemies. Also, focus on whichever team has the most enemies and don't get swarmed.
#6kimarous(Topic Creator)Posted 4/27/2010 12:30:24 PM
It might depend on where you are having the tournament. I sided with the Nord faction partially for the reason that their tournaments are what I like the most: no ranged weapons, almost no horses, and usually a shield and axe/sword combo.
#7blargXPosted 4/27/2010 12:57:23 PM
The Praven Tournament is probably the easiest one in the game to win if you have no combat skills. Its literally all jousting (with a lance). Master the couch lance strike and you're sure to win, even if your polearm skill is very low. Do this by charging with your horse, not clicking the mouse, and pointing your stick at the opponent's body (or horse if you wish to immobilize them) while continually moving forward.
#8CEOrkoPosted 4/27/2010 11:53:40 PM
I know what you mean. I think the tournaments trigger at early morning, morning, and afternoon/late afternoon so long as there is a feast in progress. Sometimes the feasts themselves restart and allow the player to receive another interaction bonus from the host, though I haven't identified what causes this. I wouldn't classify it as cheating, but you can break some of the challenge of building renown and, less often, courtship relationships. I wouldn't include money in that as the bet amounts are so low without editing their values that you can hardly count them among the worthwhile money-making schemes.

Usually you probably won't queue up enough of these events to make too much of a difference, although once I did go from 0 to 21 relationship with Lady Claudora simply because she was the only Lady present and because the feast somehow lasted for six days. Given how absolutely boring courtship is in this game, if you have such an opportunity and care to use it, you probably should. It turns hours of grinding in to a few minutes on what feels like an afterthought of the developer's. Default calculations of renown for max party size also means you're only getting an extra one or so troop slot for every tournament you win.
#9CEOrkoPosted 4/27/2010 11:56:20 PM
If you need an extra excuse to do it, you could always just think of it as a series of tournament events held alongside the feast to mark the occasion.
#10Da_V_ManPosted 4/28/2010 3:45:36 PM

The Praven Tournament is probably the easiest one in the game to win if you have no combat skills. Its literally all jousting (with a lance). Master the couch lance strike and you're sure to win, even if your polearm skill is very low. Do this by charging with your horse, not clicking the mouse, and pointing your stick at the opponent's body (or horse if you wish to immobilize them) while continually moving forward.

It's only easy if you have Couching set to automatic or maybe easy manual. It's a big pain on hard manual, as you can't keep the lance down forever. I find having a sword is better in mounted tournaments.

http://i44.tinypic.com/11a8ho1.jpg

Here is a screenshot of a reporting of the multiple tournaments. This is also not a bug but an intended feature, as confirmed by Nijis, a developer.
---
If I had a Nickel for every time I found a Nickel, I'd get 10 cents each time I found a nickel.