The CD key/Product code

#1toxic_jackalPosted 1/10/2011 5:16:04 PM

I purchased this game yesterday and it's stating my cd key/product code is invalid. I go through steam support and read all the crap they post online; seeing as their "help" didn't really answer my question, I put in a help ticket stating my problem. I've never had any problems installing games before with product codes, but it's impossible to install this damn game. I noticed that steam support website stated that the cd key is usually 13, 18, or 25 characters long. What the hell, mine is only 24 characters. I'm assuming it's due to the fact that I'm missing one character on the last set of "XXXXX" characters. There's no way I am misreading anything either.

So, I'm not sure what to do now. I've heard steam support is terrible when it comes to replying to help tickets (at least 5 to 7+ days) and I would like to have this game up and functioning before I go back to school. I highly doubt I'll get a reply anytime soon. I don't know if I should return this to Bestbuy from where I bought it from or not. I can guarantee if I ever get an answer, it will be disappointing or not really helpful at all.

#2toxic_jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2011 6:02:01 PM

Or rather, I purchased it a few days ago.

#3STG DeathbotPosted 1/10/2011 9:12:40 PM
If I remember correctly, if you bought this game retail, you don't need Steam. If you own Steam, why didn't you buy it through Steam when it went on sale for $5?

That being said, you can request a CD Key from Steam so that the game works. This happened during the first sale a few months back when Steam ran out of CD Keys over the weekend and ended up giving everyone an incorrect CD Key. The issue was correctly promptly Monday morning, so I wouldn't be worried too much about Steam being slow with the help tickets. From personal experience, they have always been fairly quick about help tickets.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360
#4toxic_jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2011 4:13:22 PM

STG Deathbot posted...
If I remember correctly, if you bought this game retail, you don't need Steam. If you own Steam, why didn't you buy it through Steam when it went on sale for $5?

That being said, you can request a CD Key from Steam so that the game works. This happened during the first sale a few months back when Steam ran out of CD Keys over the weekend and ended up giving everyone an incorrect CD Key. The issue was correctly promptly Monday morning, so I wouldn't be worried too much about Steam being slow with the help tickets. From personal experience, they have always been fairly quick about help tickets.
---
Wolfdale e8400 @ 3.6GHz OC'd | 4GB Mushkin RAM | eVGA GTX 260 896MB VRAM 576/1242/1998 OC'd to 732/1457/2360

Thanks for replying. Keep in mind, before I saw this game in store, I had never heard anything about it. I happened to be at Bestbuy and the game caught my interest, so I bought it on a whim. I haven't received any replies to my help desk ticket, so I might just return it to Bestbuy. If they give me a defective game again, I am just going to buy it off steam. I didn't actually sign up for a steam account until it was letting me install this game.

They shouldn't be handing out incorrect cd keys period. It's a pain in the ass to a consumer like me. I was looking forward to playing this awesome game.

#5STG DeathbotPosted 1/11/2011 6:04:23 PM
EB Games used to sell games with missing or incorrect CD Keys all the time. It's a good thing they went out of business in my area.
---
#6toxic_jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2011 9:01:47 PM

STG Deathbot posted...
EB Games used to sell games with missing or incorrect CD Keys all the time. It's a good thing they went out of business in my area.
---

That's why I don't buy used games.

However, I did exchange my original game at Bestbuy, got a new one, and it installed fine. My next question is, how will my graphics card affect gameplay? From the sounds of it, I don't have a very good graphics card (ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics). I am a complete idiot when it comes to computers and it's all gibberish to me. My laptop is HP with Vista as it's operating system. I have yet to actually run this game, let alone sit down and explore it. But I am wondering what the recommended graphics settings are for a game like this with my kind of graphics card?

I'm slightly worried about graphics bugs because this is the first time I have bought a "new" (from the most recent year, 2010) PC game in a long time. I've been playing PC games such as Age of Empires II, Rise of Nations, Stronghold, ie all "older" games. The "newest" PC games I have besides this one, was Rome: Total War. If I remember that's from 2003 or 2004? It took me 2 laptops before I actually got a properly, functioning one with no problems, so I haven't tried Total War on my most current laptop. With the first 2 laptops I had, Rome Total War played fine for the most part other than the occasional lag.

#7STG DeathbotPosted 1/11/2011 9:25:19 PM
This game is actually more dependent on your RAM and CPU than GPU. However, considering you listed a Total War game, I'm sure this one will run fine. Think of M&B: Warband as Medieval 2 Total War where you control one of the generals in first or third person.

Turn the graphical settings down to low and work your way up from there. I'm guessing with an older laptop with an HD3200, you can maybe push medium settings with max resolution.
---
#8toxic_jackal(Topic Creator)Posted 1/11/2011 9:51:23 PM

STG Deathbot posted...
This game is actually more dependent on your RAM and CPU than GPU. However, considering you listed a Total War game, I'm sure this one will run fine. Think of M&B: Warband as Medieval 2 Total War where you control one of the generals in first or third person.

Turn the graphical settings down to low and work your way up from there. I'm guessing with an older laptop with an HD3200, you can maybe push medium settings with max resolution.
---

Apparently my RAM is 4 GB with 64 bit operating system. My processor is an AMD Turion x2 ultra dual core mobile ZM-80 (2.10 GHz). Sound good for this game?

#9STG DeathbotPosted 1/12/2011 7:03:45 AM
Sounds decent. I wouldn't worry about performance.
---