After wandering aimlessly, building my renown and troops, I have some questions.

#1bionicman_3090Posted 5/7/2011 7:48:49 PM
I've been at this game for a couple of months now, slowly getting to lv25 and building my troops and resources. Now, I find that I need some input from you guys to know what I should do...

1. I started at Surranid Sultanate and carried out quests for the lords, Guild Master and peasants and I got the hang of questing in this game. Apart from those and Arena and random encounters, is there another means of gaining exp?

2. I moved from Surranid to Khergit Khanate and had some good renown. The king offered me a village called Amashke which happened to be looted. I forgot which structure I chose to build there but it seems that it'd take 51 days for it to be completed. I had 4 people in my party with +3 to Engineering. Is that common?

3. I got lucky while traveling. I came up against one of the Lords from Surranid while a vast army was also on their tail from Khergit. I joined the battle against Surranid and managed to capture one of their lords. A little while later, I got a message stating that the Surranid kingdom would pay me 4200 denars for the release of their lord. I rejected the offer and figured that I would either sell him to a Ransom Broker or throw him in a dungeon. But I checked with the broker and nope, couldn't sell him. I went to one of the Khergit castles where there was a prison and tried speaking with the guard to lock him up but that didn't work either. And as you guessed it, the moment my prisoner gained back 45% of his health, he escaped and the worst part is that I had 1 slave driver in my party.

4. Is there some way to improve the wealth of the village that you're given? I might've missed something in the manual but I sure as hell am not clear as to what to do.

5. Is there some point in the game where enemies become weaker than you? I mean, I'm lv25 now and I have 4 "heroes" in my party and they're all above lv16 and other party members are around 15-19. Do the enemies scale up to your level always or is there a point at which I become more powerful than them? What I mean is, if I reached, say, lv 36, would my enemies too scale up to lv36?

6. I'm not quite sure how certain skills like "Tactics", "Surgery" and "First Aid" work. For starters, I have 30 in my party and most of them have Tactics at +3 and I have it at +4. But when I enter an encounter against 33, it displays that the advantage gained is 0. Won't the Tactics of my party be taken into consideration?

That's all for now. Thanks for your replies.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#2zerozediPosted 5/7/2011 9:13:37 PM
1.That seems to be the only way to get xp is what you are doing. You could always start over and export your character and import and start at your level now.

2.Yes buildings take forever to make even at max engineer it takes over 30 days to finish for most of them.

3. The lords have a pretty high rate of escaping unless you build a prison tower in a castle you own then that makes it pretty hard for them to get free.

4.Not sure you can build the buildings and it may go up and buying things from there might help.

5.Yes enemies stay at a set level you will get pretty tough if you get up there. Really tough if you focus on all combat and strength.

6. Tactics seems to help more for larger 100 man plus battles not battles where you both get all your troops on the field. It helps give you more troops than your enemy if you both are over the max on the field.
---
Originally Posted by Go_That_Guy
Welcome to the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.
#3StuflamesPosted 5/8/2011 1:33:40 AM(edited)
1. I started at Surranid Sultanate and carried out quests for the lords, Guild Master and peasants and I got the hang of questing in this game. Apart from those and Arena and random encounters, is there another means of gaining exp?

"random encounters" are your main source of XP at high levels. Keep in mind that the farther you go/more powerful you get, the more you're going to be able to fight consistently with a larger troop,against larger and higher level enemies, netting you more experience. Over time you will start to level very, very slowly.

2. I moved from Surranid to Khergit Khanate and had some good renown. The king offered me a village called Amashke which happened to be looted. I forgot which structure I chose to build there but it seems that it'd take 51 days for it to be completed. I had 4 people in my party with +3 to Engineering. Is that common?

The highest value is the one counted for all "Party Skills", they don't add together, though the highest value may get bonuses from various sources added on to it, including a side bonus to a skill that is gained by the main character having points in the party skill.

Hope that kinda made sense. . .

And this is a long game. 51 days is not all that long after you've played a lot. . .probably more than you (I) should have.

3. I got lucky while traveling. I came up against one of the Lords from Surranid while a vast army was also on their tail from Khergit. I joined the battle against Surranid and managed to capture one of their lords. A little while later, I got a message stating that the Surranid kingdom would pay me 4200 denars for the release of their lord. I rejected the offer and figured that I would either sell him to a Ransom Broker or throw him in a dungeon. But I checked with the broker and nope, couldn't sell him. I went to one of the Khergit castles where there was a prison and tried speaking with the guard to lock him up but that didn't work either. And as you guessed it, the moment my prisoner gained back 45% of his health, he escaped and the worst part is that I had 1 slave driver in my party.

Prisoners can randomly escape, and the longer they are in your possession the longer chance they have to make their escape. If you get an offer for a lord you should generally take it, unless you're deliberately trying for low honor (you will lose honor if you refuse to release a lord upon a ransom offer). Ransom brokers will not deal with Lords. Other lords in your faction may rarely offer to pay for a lord on you or request you capture any lord of an enemy faction for them, but the money generally isn't any better than the ransoms you will get over time.
---
XboxGT: ShakeMeatLock
#4StuflamesPosted 5/8/2011 1:25:30 AM
4. Is there some way to improve the wealth of the village that you're given? I might've missed something in the manual but I sure as hell am not clear as to what to do.

It helps a lot to have a fairly wealthy spot in the first place. Keep it safe, keep it upgraded, keep the traveling farmers safe, buy things sometimes from your village, maybe check for quests and see if their need is met. . .these things help. But really if anything changes it's going to be slight and over time, so don't get too crazy about it and at the end of the day what you get is what you get, and the same goes for the peasants.

5. Is there some point in the game where enemies become weaker than you? I mean, I'm lv25 now and I have 4 "heroes" in my party and they're all above lv16 and other party members are around 15-19. Do the enemies scale up to your level always or is there a point at which I become more powerful than them? What I mean is, if I reached, say, lv 36, would my enemies too scale up to lv36?

Enemy numbers/army size may increase some throughout the game, resulting in a higher quantity of elite troops. Enemy lords may increase in level once and a while (or at least I've noticed sometimes captured enemy lords have a "level up" icon, when, how and if they actually level up is a mystery to me). But individually, no, and you will end up both stronger/higher level and better equipped than everybody else in Native if you play long enough.

6. I'm not quite sure how certain skills like "Tactics", "Surgery" and "First Aid" work. For starters, I have 30 in my party and most of them have Tactics at +3 and I have it at +4. But when I enter an encounter against 33, it displays that the advantage gained is 0. Won't the Tactics of my party be taken into consideration?

Again, "party skills" use the highest value in your party only, they don't add together. Oh, and it's either your value or a companion's value, "generic" units don't count.

If tactics has a great effect, I haven't noticed it. . .but then I've always had someone invest in it. Maybe AI often has it and they've cancelled each other out for me to a point where it's not so noticable. . .?
Anyway I wouldn't recommend neglecting it entirely, have a companion invest some in it if they don't have it already. But I also must say in my experience you shouldn't expect too much out of it. Someone else may know more, I guess.
---
#5Strawberry_JumPosted 5/8/2011 2:21:12 AM
1. Most of my xp (being a conquest based playthrough) comes from castle sieges, attacking other lords, etc. Castle sieges are great for xp because you can carve up plenty of enemy soldiers if you're at the front of the line (and armour will negate just about every strike).

2. Yep, that's common. I'm not convinced that all party skills don't stack (I put a lot of points into surgery and very, very rarely have troops die), but engineering is definitely one that is "highest available".

3. Save often, and reset if they escape. It's randomly generated, so it's not really all that common.

4. As said, upgrade them, and I'm fairly sure it helps to sell products to them, especially if they're in short supply (remember, they won't pay you except in goods).

5. I'm not 100% sure on this. Everyone's saying set level, but I've noticed some lords I capture have the level up symbol next to their name. Regardless, after you defeat a big army once, they'll be reduced to scraps for quite a long time (most enemy lords in my playthrough are running around with 20-30 troops).

6. I invest spare points into tactics and I find that my troops are really good at carving up bigger/more experienced armies. For instance in my last castle siege I was outnumbered and had 20 casualties overall to their 200. Mind you my army is particularly beefy.
---
Steam ID: zephkiel_olandos
MP Steam games: Black Ops, Magicka, Killing Floor, AC: B, SC: Conviction
#6bionicman_3090(Topic Creator)Posted 5/8/2011 3:31:59 AM
1. Leveling :- Ah, so the random encounters with large troops is the best source of exp. Cool.

2. Party skills :- Yep, regarding surgery, I've quite a lot of members in my party with surgery at +4 and I haven't yet lost a party member yet, although I haven't really come up against insurmountable odds. A pity about engineering skill though 'cause you'd think that more number of engineers would split the workload and complete a project faster lol.

3. Captured Lords :- I wasn't trying to get a low honor rating. I was hoping to lock up my enemies in a dungeon so that their armies wouldn't have a proper general, if you will, which would mean that I could get a slight upper hand. Next time, I'll concentrate on ransoming back those lords until I can build a prison.

4. Improving a village's prosperity :- Thanks for the tip. I'll continue building stuff that might help with the production and trade often with them. However, is there a way to install a small garrison in there to prevent further attacks? Like, I could offer fiefdom to one my heroes and then split my party, giving him command over some of the troops to be stationed at that village. Does that seem like a good idea? Or should I do that when I finally own a castle or something?

5. Level scaling AI :- Ok, so that merely applies in rarity to the Lords only and their troop size. Good to know.

6. Party skill value :- Ok, so this is where I should rectify my choices. I should concentrate on one hero to specialize in one party skill, like choosing their specialty in combat. I get it.

By the way, thanks for the quick and informative replies, guys. If you have anything else to add, like an useful tip, please don't hesitate to do so. I can finally work on doing other things in the game, like castle-siege and fiefdom. Or maybe even a rebellion. Cheers.
---
"Take your best shot, Flatlander woman". JC Denton.
#7JosieJPosted 5/8/2011 11:19:08 AM
bionicman_3090 posted...
2. Party skills :- Yep, regarding surgery, I've quite a lot of members in my party with surgery at +4 and I haven't yet lost a party member yet, although I haven't really come up against insurmountable odds. A pity about engineering skill though 'cause you'd think that more number of engineers would split the workload and complete a project faster lol.

The only party skill that stacks is Training. It pays to have all your companions have at least 1 point in that skill. Otherwise, it's better if you have certain characters focus on certain party skills. The payoff of high Engineering isn't in building stuff in your village or castle, but in building siege ladders and towers more quickly when you're trying to take an enemy castle. Have one companion be the medic and focus on Surgery, First Aid, etc. Have one party member focus on Pathfinding, Spotting, etc, one focus on Trade and one focus on Engineering.

3. Captured Lords :- I wasn't trying to get a low honor rating. I was hoping to lock up my enemies in a dungeon so that their armies wouldn't have a proper general, if you will, which would mean that I could get a slight upper hand. Next time, I'll concentrate on ransoming back those lords until I can build a prison.

Keep in mind that even when you've built a prison of your own, you'll still lose honor if you refuse ransom offers for them. That may be a good strategic choice if you have their marshal or king.

4. Improving a village's prosperity :- Thanks for the tip. I'll continue building stuff that might help with the production and trade often with them. However, is there a way to install a small garrison in there to prevent further attacks? Like, I could offer fiefdom to one my heroes and then split my party, giving him command over some of the troops to be stationed at that village. Does that seem like a good idea? Or should I do that when I finally own a castle or something?

There's no way in the vanilla game to garrison troops in a village. I know some of the mods have this feature, though. In the vanilla game, it really doesn't pay to put a lot of improvements in a village. Messenger posts and towers are alright, but I never bother with anything else. Focus on adding to your territories rather than just improving the few villages you have. To really get better income, build businesses in each of the towns, and try to take towns for your own.

6. Party skill value :- Ok, so this is where I should rectify my choices. I should concentrate on one hero to specialize in one party skill, like choosing their specialty in combat. I get it.

Exactly! Except for Training, which stacks.
#8StuflamesPosted 5/8/2011 1:22:55 PM
The only party skill that stacks is Training.

IIRC training is a "personal skill," which is what 'allows' it to stack.
---
#9Strawberry_JumPosted 5/8/2011 11:48:07 PM
Yeah, I paid attention yesterday and party skills definitely don't stack. Sorry for the red herring on that one.
---
Steam ID: zephkiel_olandos
MP Steam games: Black Ops, Magicka, Killing Floor, AC: B, SC: Conviction
#10JosieJPosted 5/9/2011 8:04:27 AM
Stuflames posted...
The only party skill that stacks is Training.

IIRC training is a "personal skill," which is what 'allows' it to stack.

You know, I never noticed that! Thanks for the correction.