How to mod Warband?

#1Strawberry_JumPosted 5/10/2011 3:35:05 AM(edited)
First off, I feel the need to point out that I've never modded anything outside of configuration files, but I'm slowly learning. Now, all I want to do is:

1. Find a map editor that works (I tried Thorgrim's map editor, but it kept getting startup errors after spending about an hour trying to make it work, doing all the fixes I could find).

2. Change the names of the Towns, Lords, Kings, Claimants/Companions (and their stories, appearances), etc.

3. Change starting faction alliances/enemies.

I have a feeling all of these can be achieved through the map editor, but as I said, no luck getting it to work (after installing it in every recommended directory, copying certain files over, editing the config/paths, etc.).

Edit: I just got the Map Editor working (long story short, I had to rename my directory to remove the spaces and reverse the slashes) so cross that one off the list. =)
---
Steam ID: zephkiel_olandos
MP Steam games: Black Ops, Magicka, Killing Floor, AC: B, SC: Conviction
#2Strawberry_Jum(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2011 7:32:30 AM(edited)
Update: I've figured out how to rename all the towns, villages, heroes, lords, kings, etc., now all I need is a way to change their faces and/or inventories. I can do it manually through a save-file, of course, but I'd rather have them with certain armour/base characteristics.

Also, if possible, I'd like to alter family trees (not so important) and companion relationships (ie changing the dislike two, like one options). Also not too important, but yeah, changing the starting appearance and dialogue for companions is pretty much a must for my project.

Edit: Would it be possible to manually create the characters in save files, then export and copy the code over to the troops file?

Re-edit: TroopEditor works like a charm, but the only problem with it is I can't figure out how to convert faces. When I export my character I get two small strings (10 or so), but the face code in troopeditor is closer to 100 strings. Any way to convert the small strings to the big strings?

Final edit:

TroopEditor+crawling through config files achieved everything I wanted (ctrl-E in game to find face code :D). Thanks for all the help guys! :D
---
#3poisontoxicPosted 5/10/2011 8:48:56 AM
No problem...

can I... umm *cough* download your project? Im tired of Swaydan, Rhodoks, Nords, etc..

but hey! Im glad I could help...
---
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
#4Strawberry_Jum(Topic Creator)Posted 5/10/2011 11:40:43 PM
I've still got a bit of work to do, but sure, I'll upload it within the next week, most likely. It doesn't really change much outside of dialogue and characters/town names though (thinking of maybe changing the music, but it'll just be mp3s from my collection), and some companions (if not all) will definitely be overpowered.
---
#5Strawberry_Jum(Topic Creator)Posted 5/12/2011 7:52:34 PM(edited)
https://rapidshare.com/files/3447319181/Chronicles.rar

Here's what I've got so far (it'll be a while before I update it, I'd say). Additions are:

1. Some companions (not all) are ridiculously strong, like level 50 (I'll probably end up scaling this back, when I have the time/patience to work out exactly how many stat points to allocate; will end up anywhere from 15-25). Basically to make the start of the game easier if you can find them. Some companions are completely untouched stats-wise, all have different equipment.

2. All main characters (Companions and Claimants) have been renamed and remade (dialogue/personality, etc. is all the same though). All lords and kings, etc. have been renamed and have different faces.

3. Ladies in 'Swadia' and 'Nords' are redesigned, basically because I found them all pretty horrible in native. The rest are untouched.

4. Female nobles in 'Swadia' (this will likely involve a few lesbian relationships with kids, but meh, I don't know how to change family trees yet).

5. All factions renamed, and some villages/towns/castles.

6. All troops renamed (level paths remain the same, will be reworking their equipment to change their aesthetics to suit their factions).

7. Calradia has been renamed to Portica, all dialogue changed accordingly.

Planned changes:

1. Redoing all troop equipment aesthetically (obviously some factions will be overpowered in this sense).

2. Renaming all towns/castles/villages.

3. Reskinning all eligible bachelorettes.

4. Scaling back companions to make them more balanced.

5. Reworking companion/claimant dialogue (if possible).

Enjoy, and try not to take it too seriously. =P
---