Sieges are stupid.

#1ToastyToastyPosted 7/18/2012 6:03:10 PM
"Here's a ladder big enough for 1 and a half guys to stand on while all of the AI shoves itself up the ladder, getting picked off by archers along the way. Go stand in a corner and eat a sandwhich while the game plays itself because we never thought of putting at least a few ladders in these maps or a way to push NPCs out of your way."
#2poisontoxicPosted 7/18/2012 10:31:28 PM
There are more than 1 ladders on each siege maps... or use the front gate... front gate close? do a dance! they will open
---
Gamefaq: Food for trolls
#3IlluminaZer0Posted 7/19/2012 12:23:29 AM(edited)
It's generally better to start sieges with high concentration of archers and let them weaken the enemy defenses as much as possible. If you are a proficient archer yourself, you can kill a significant number of enemies yourself.

If the enemy has few (or low damage) ranged options, you can often destroy the enemies blocking the ladder/tower with impunity using a weapon with significant reach (such as a halberd).

In original M&B a Warrior character could take on castles solo. It's harder in Warband, but you can still do significant damage... Even in mods like Prophecy of Pendor.

In tower sieges you can sometimes trick the AI into charging outside of the castle by simply backing off after a quasi successful charge.
#4GateCaptainPosted 7/29/2012 4:27:54 AM
Yeah my guy could take castles all the time in Mount and blade. Tried that in Fire and sword, and WOW did i get smacked around. Loved the 100 vs 1 (me) :) cheat heal for the win :)
#5IlluminaZer0Posted 8/2/2012 1:01:21 AM(edited)
GateCaptain posted...
Yeah my guy could take castles all the time in Mount and blade. Tried that in Fire and sword, and WOW did i get smacked around. Loved the 100 vs 1 (me) :) cheat heal for the win :)

I don't know why, but personally assaulting castles in M&B was a lot easier than Warband. I frequently wouldn't even bother with a shield back then, and had a two-hander + bow set-up.

Hell, you can even find a youtube video of someone doing exactly that! Except in this case... Just bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEUH9lEs3s

You can do ridiculous damage with grenades in Fire and Sword... But to my memory even with a +300 throw skill it can be difficult accurately throwing the bloody things.

Despite the greater siege options Fire and Sword gives you I found it even more obnoxious than Warband and Original. I recall the town battles in particular being pointlessly annoying, as the area is a massive grid that takes forever to simply traverse it and invading troops would get lost/separate/stuck.

That and the enemy troops themselves are spread out.
#6GateCaptainPosted 8/3/2012 11:54:27 AM
Yeah i had my throw really high as well and still missed the Barn. And some times when i do hit them it seems like it does nothing to them >:| So i refuse to use them anymore. Wish they renewed after each battle like bullets or arrows.....then i might keep some on me.
#7G1ANT_SQU1DPosted 8/4/2012 9:07:53 PM
IlluminaZer0 posted...
GateCaptain posted...

I don't know why, but personally assaulting castles in M&B was a lot easier than Warband. I frequently wouldn't even bother with a shield back then, and had a two-hander + bow set-up.

Hell, you can even find a youtube video of someone doing exactly that! Except in this case... Just bow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVEUH9lEs3s

You can do ridiculous damage with grenades in Fire and Sword... But to my memory even with a +300 throw skill it can be difficult accurately throwing the bloody things.

Despite the greater siege options Fire and Sword gives you I found it even more obnoxious than Warband and Original. I recall the town battles in particular being pointlessly annoying, as the area is a massive grid that takes forever to simply traverse it and invading troops would get lost/separate/stuck.

That and the enemy troops themselves are spread out.

A bit off topic. what the **** is the guy in the video wearing? ahaha i laughed so ****ing hard at that helmet
---
You should play the Crpg multiplayer mod for Mount and blade: Warband. its good
its good
#8IlluminaZer0Posted 8/5/2012 10:07:04 AM(edited)
G1ANT_SQU1D posted...
A bit off topic. what the **** is the guy in the video wearing? ahaha i laughed so ****ing hard at that helmet

It really frames the targeting reticule doesn't it? If I didn't know any better, I would think he was using a slingshot.

It's apparently a "Dark Knight" Helm. I don't quite get the logic of having a field goal head either.

GateCaptain posted...
Wish they renewed after each battle like bullets or arrows.....then i might keep some on me.

This too. Never would have thought I would prefer Javelins to freaking Grenades.