Leader skill bonus - solo?

#1Uzamaki117Posted 1/13/2013 3:32:53 AM
I know how the Leader gains a bonus to skills depending on how high it is.

For example Surgery too gives a (+1) bonus.

Does this only work if a companion also uses the skill?

Like for example, typically what people do is specialize a companion in a skill and the leader 'aids' them.

Like...

Companion Surgery = 10
Leader Surgery = 2

Total Surgery = 10(+1)

But what if I had no companion with Surgery?
Say my leader had a Surgery of 10?

Would the +4 bonus still work, or does that bonus not apply to himself (has to be applied to another person/hero)?
#2IlluminaZer0Posted 1/13/2013 6:39:37 AM
With my understanding of the mechanics, if you decide to create an Int Avatar there is no point in having a companion level the same party skill the leader specializes in. The below is why, although it's pretty horribly formatted...

I'm pretty certain it is highest skill + leader bonus. Which if true, means that the wiki is wrong as they claim the bonus applies to the 2nd highest skills (rather than a leader bonus)

http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Skills

I did a quick test and imported my level 39 character into a new game. The party screen is showing me:

http://i.imgur.com/ha7bR.jpg

So I'm seeing:

(Highest Skill) + (Leader Bonus)

Whereas I should see (by the wiki)

(Highest Skill) + (2nd highest bonus... Which should be nothing)
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.
#3RealYoraePosted 1/15/2013 12:19:31 PM
That all sounds right. It's highest skill + leader skill bonus instead of the assumed intention of Highest skill + second highest skill bonus if leader.

I find it is still good to have pathfinding especially on another hero even if doing the full build for your own so that if you get knocked out your army can still escape with high pathfinding. But usually if you have 10 pathfinding you wouldn't get yourself into such perilous situations.
---
It is not things, but opinions about things that have absolutely no existence, which have so deranged mankind! - Nietzsche
#4IlluminaZer0Posted 1/15/2013 12:30:13 PM(edited)
RealYorae posted...
I find it is still good to have pathfinding especially on another hero even if doing the full build for your own so that if you get knocked out your army can still escape with high pathfinding. But usually if you have 10 pathfinding you wouldn't get yourself into such perilous situations.

That's true. Especially since companions sometimes completely vanish for over an in-game week.

One case I can think of that happens being:

1) Companions get captured
2) Faction makes peace
3) Companions are released, but vanish from the map.
4) Proceed to wait at least a week before they respawn.

I've been playing a custom format using MB Tweak and this happens a disturbingly high number of times. Usually the result of a failed castle defense that almost wipes out the enemy army.

http://i.imgur.com/LloQi.jpg

sigh
---
Official claimant of Mem Aleph for the theoretic cause of promoting Shin Megami Tensei IV of the 3DS.